Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #81
Art Evans
Mortal

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/35746/A...%20Default.zip is my take on the new default theme - already....

Made green = selected status, darkened it a bit to ensure clear text visibilty, and made the ripple edit icon turn red appropriately when in either of the "on" states.

It does look like the FX and Sends stuff in the mixer is only saved with the project. I guess one needs to set it up as default for new projects so that it sticks.

I can't get anything obvious to be saved in terms of the mixer state with the new screen set options. No, I've not yet read the new help stuff (blush).
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #82
Bevosss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywanders View Post
Are the "FX/sends views" only that..? Views..?

For inserts that's nice - at a glance view of all the insert FX. But for sends, how does just a view help in any way?

Is it possible to tweak send amounts on the channel strip without opening another window/dialogue yet?

The GUI does look nice - a big improvement. But overall I'm extremely underwhelmed by this version. It seems that most of the "improvements" have been cosmetic rather than functional and many user requests have been ignored - MIDI, quantise & groove etc.

I know a lot of forum members will disagree with me for various reasons and some may even be abusive toward me. But frankly, that's how I feel - extremely disappointed.

See, I can tell you haven't tried it Andy

You can drag and drop sends (and inserts) now, modifier click them for mute/delete, normal click brings up a little box for volume/pan etc.

You can right click-add fx chain (dropdown menu appears)-fx chain, so you can run along the tracks adding fx chains very fast. Modifier click for bypass/unload/delete etc.

So, it's not just a view, is it?

I'm sure we'll get some more automation and midi love in due course...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #83
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywanders View Post
...FX. But for sends, how does just a view help in any way?...It seems that most of the "improvements" have been cosmetic rather than functional and many user requests have been ignored - MIDI, quantise & groove etc.
There is a lot more in this build than what the changelog indicates. And even many many fixes that aren't documented in the changelog. Being one of the beta testers myself, this is a pretty big overhaul in my opinion. The MIDI stuff will come.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Last edited by Shan; 09-03-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #84
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
There is a lot more in this build than what the changelog indicates. And even many many fixes that aren't documented in the changelog. Being one of the beta testers myself, this is a pretty big overhaul in my opinion. The MIDI stuff will come.

Shane
/me raises hand -- well said, even the changelog doesnt tell the whole story.... from another tester.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #85
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex zonder View Post
The external MIDI editor link is still broken in this update btw

hope it will be OK in the next one

OK alex I've silently updated this build (re-download it)...

In it, for MIDI items, external editors should work.

Also if you set up an external editor, then use normal "in project" MIDI events, and do "open copy in 'myexternaleditor.exe'", it will create the file as a .mid file for use in the external editor. So no need to fudge with your REAPER prefs when you want to use an external editor on your midi...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #86
Justin
Administrator

Shan, your image is great, but it also neglected to show that ify ou want to duplicate sends (i.e. send a bunch of tracks to a reverb track), you can just grab the send and copy it to other tracks as well...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #87
Alex Stone

Default Big Picture.....

And in addition to what Shan posted, i'd like to add that the update cycle and new feature implementation in Reaper is much faster than any other daw development cycle. You only have to read the gnashing and wailing going on in Cubunkle and Illogik forums to understand just how quickly Reaper moves. There are functions in here that cubase users (for instance, and including me up to version 32 5v) have asked for since the program's inception. We don't always get what we want when we want it (I'm waiting for more midi features), but in the overal scheme of things, and with a dose of cynicism based on experience with other daws, i'm happy with what we're getting, and how fast we're getting it. The Repaer team of 2, plus genius users have done more the couple of months since i started using Reaper than any other developer, often with rooms full of people.

Opinions are given, and in the spirit of democracy should be read with the same objective view, but lets not lose sight of a bigger picture here, and that's the a) speed of growth, and b) the valuable input from users, actively encouraged and nourished by the developers.

Name one other daw manufacturer that does the same, with the same pace of change, and response to user requests, with the same friendly attitude. No one's rquest gets left unread, and because of the user definable nature of Reaper, some very talented people here have come up with ingenious, and often, imho, genius ways of doing things, that improve the way us dummies work. (I've been using daw's since they started (when all my colleagues were laughing, and telling me computers and music would never work) and i've never seen anything like the methodology, and user input as i have here.

Just a further 2 roubles worth....

Alex.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #88
Art Evans
Mortal

Oooh errr, Shane, I didn't realise you could do that drag and drop (or hadn't tried) - that's pretty slick.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #89
Justin
Administrator

Oh, also, to people who have a problem with what didn't get into this version, may I quote myself from the original post:

Quote:

The REAPER 2.x series will get a lot of additions over the next year or so, but this is getting it off to a good start.
So yes, this is just the first step in the 2.x series. We couldn't do _EVERYTHING_ for 2.0, otherwise you'd have waited months and months before getting it.

And if your issue is that REAPER 1.x still had a lot of room to evolve before we could really achieve 2.x status, I think that's just unreasonable. Compare REAPER 1.888 to 1.0, it's an utterly insane difference.

-Justin
Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #90
jamester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydottcomm View Post
im not utterly dissapointed or anything like that...I always look for work arounds. But i do feel what Xactley is saying. From a logical perspective a person would think to himself "Damn, the quantize aint there and the Per item FX aint there...
I am confident that they will come, and I am more than willing to be patient...but I'm with you on these, man. Input Quantize (+Groove/Swing) and Per Item FX are my top two wants for Reaper 2.0, along with In-Track Midi Editing and Drum Grids like Acid Pro 6. And Bounce To New Clip/Bounce To New Track...but I digress.

I will say that some of the new stuff is sweet, especially the expanded mixer/fx bin/sends stuff. Nice! :-)
Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #91
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Oooh errr, Shane, I didn't realise you could do that drag and drop (or hadn't tried) - that's pretty slick.
...along with many many more functional things. Just start clickin' stuff, you'll find it all.

Shane

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #92
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Shan, your image is great, but it also neglected to show that ify ou want to duplicate sends (i.e. send a bunch of tracks to a reverb track), you can just grab the send and copy it to other tracks as well...
Please dont make me do a full blown Video Podcast tutorial.

Shane

Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #93
schwa
Administrator

Having the inserts available and easy drag-to-route functionality in the mixer completely changes the way I use the program, for the better. I think this is a tremendous update and very much in the Reaper style of simple, intuitive, and surprisingly powerful.

/happy
Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 PM   #94
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Having the inserts available and easy drag-to-route functionality in the mixer completely changes the way I use the program, for the better. I think this is a tremendous update and very much in the Reaper style of simple, intuitive, and surprisingly powerful.

/happy
I hardly used the mixer before, except to check levels...now I hardly use the tcp! It's a big advance here too...
Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #95
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
I hardly used the mixer before, except to check levels...now I hardly use the tcp! It's a big advance here too...
I'm the same Bevoss. Once the template's set up, the mixer's certainly intuitive enough to use in preference.

Alex.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #96
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
so far very cool but...

in toggling between classic theme and the new default, i miss the white band behind the track names ala the classic theme. (makes it much easier for me to see, plus i'm used to sharpie on masking tape on a mixer scribble strip )

can't seem to bring that back thru prefrences. anybody? thanks in advance.

sorry to bump this amidst the 2.0 celebration, but i can't seem to figure this out.

also, LOVE the new mixer/fx view, but....
is there a simple way to toggle it on/off? there's LOTS of wasted space when a project only has a few effects/sends, and the faders get awfully tiny....
Old 09-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #97
Sleep opposed

I cant wait to get home and try this out!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #98
Solar

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Please dont make me do a full blown Video Podcast tutorial.

Shane

Hey Shan! Great job, thanx and hope u will let s know how do you do to post an image with animation... thanx
Old 09-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #99
aldi

again justin, why is the rms meters going up that high ? is there a reason for ? it will allways be under 0 db in a mix or not ?!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #100
csholtmeier

Shan, is that McDSP's Analog Channel and Digi's Reel Tape in your mixer window? I thought those were TDM/RTAS only.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #101
rforssell

A big thanks to the devs! What an update! One thing that I liked apart from the stuff people already mentioned was the ability to let reaper automatically build the routing of a multiout plug. Good one!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #102
Art Evans
Mortal

I don't think you need to be the slightest bit defensive, Justin - there's a wish list for every member here, with some overlaps of course, but the chances of you incorporating everything by version 4.0 even are beyond zero.

Personally I'm the kind of person who thinks "look what I've now got for my $40 (or $200 in my case!) rather than "how come I haven't got more?" And substantially documented already - nice one Nicholas!

And although Justin has made something of a grand entrance with version 2.0 (beta remember) it's just another number, for heaven's sake. But certainly the look and functional feel does now amply justify a price hike compared with version 1.0 (hands up anyone who remembers what that was like anyway?). The revision list from 1.0 to 2.0 would be about the same size as the program download if pasted into a single text file!

(And don't let us forget we're not discussing this outside these walls till the official release)
Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #103
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
also, LOVE the new mixer/fx view, but....
is there a simple way to toggle it on/off? there's LOTS of wasted space when a project only has a few effects/sends, and the faders get awfully tiny....
Click on the menu button to the left of the word "MASTER" for options. Or in many other places on the mixer.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #104
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
i miss the white band behind the track names ala the classic theme. (makes it much easier for me to see, plus i'm used to sharpie on masking tape on a mixer scribble strip )

can't seem to bring that back thru prefrences. anybody? thanks in advance.
Just double click to the right of the track number. The background colour for edit then appears while you do your text entry, and disappears once you're done.

However, personally I do find that all text appears clearer on the default theme if it's darkened as in the version I posted somewhere above.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #105
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Hey Shan! Great job, thanx and hope u will let s know how do you do to post an image with animation... thanx
I used Camtasia and saved it as an animated GIF. You could probably save as an animated GIF in most screen capture software I would think. If not, there is plenty of good open source apps to make the conversion etc. The animated image was uploaded to stashbox.org.

Shane

Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #106
Magnus

Justin,

Love the new fx/send views and the fresh look of the default theme by WT,

great with a free update for 1.x users too thanks!

Magnus
Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #107
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by csholtmeier View Post
Shan, is that McDSP's Analog Channel and Digi's Reel Tape in your mixer window? I thought those were TDM/RTAS only.
Hahahaha!!! I was wondering who would notice! Not real, did that for fun. Just right click a plug-in > Rename FX Instance.

(and check out the D-Verbs)

Shane

Last edited by Shan; 09-04-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #108
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
[*]Multichannel master track (primarily for doing advanced sidechains etc on the master)
Hey Justin,

Just been playing with this. Is this the precursor to support for surround mixing?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:16 AM   #109
artkau

I know I'm late on the pickup, but well done guys... I got that awesome fuzzy feeling all over again!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #110
Oxytoxine

[QUOTE=Justin;105494]Note: position reporting to effects[/list]
Registered REAPER 1.x users get a free upgrade to 2.x, and until we launch 2.0 on the main web site, you can still buy 1.x licenses for the current price (as there will be a price increase for REAPER 2.x). So, if you want to get a license at the current prices, you have about a week.

so what will be the price tag for the new 2.x licences, will they be more expensive? i ask since i discovered reaper very recently and did not yet buy one, so maybe now might be the right time point..
Old 09-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #111
Art Evans
Mortal

Ctrl/click on an effect in the expanded mixer floats it. Ctrl/click on it again while it's floating and focussed should perhaps unfloat it? So you could quickly check stuff.

Likewise when you right click and float it, clicking again on the context menu would be expected to untick it (unfloat it).

And, once you've put it where you want it when floated, it would be nice if it reappeared at that location when refloated later. Little workflow things.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #112
IXix

Wow, what a great start to the day! Can't wait to give this a try. I'm very curious about the JS improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Registered REAPER 1.x users get a free upgrade to 2.x
Justin, you are a saint.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #113
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
Hey Justin,
Just been playing with this. Is this the precursor to support for surround mixing?
Cheers,
Malcolm.
I guess that yes ?

With this beta you can now send the outputs of a track with a surround plugin directly to the master, which is a very encouraging first step.
It only lacks now to :
- render the master as a multichannel wave file
- have multichannel meters on tracks and master
- and support to read multichannel wave files...
which I suppose is already on the plan.

The future is wonderful !!! (in the DAW life at least...)
Old 09-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #114
spikemullings

Default What manner of witchcraft be this?

Looks completely amazing. Oh happy day.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 AM   #115
artkau

I could second the window positioning point, I like to have my floating windows open up in their last locations.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #116
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldi View Post
again justin, why is the rms meters going up that high ? is there a reason for ? it will allways be under 0 db in a mix or not ?!
Aldi, that zero is a reference point, if you want RMS0 to be peak 0, just chose 0 for the display offset in the meter
Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #117
Bebop52

WOW! This is fabulous! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mucho Cheers!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #118
Bassman1

Fantastic update. Super job.

Many thanks to all who have contributed :thumbsup:
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #119
Mykatik

Default YIPEE!!!

EXCELLENT! What a nice suprise!! I'm looking forward to getting into this! Many thanks!!! So glad the FX inserts and sends are now in the mixer... cool!!
All the lovely new colour options for the MIDI editor too...!!

Last edited by Mykatik; 09-04-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #120
Xaake

WOW!!!

This was more than I had hoped for, thanks Cockos!!!

Now for the comments, since this is a public beta I assume you want to know what problems we find.

I have just played with it for a couple of minutes but found a couple of graphical errors:

Firstly there are a problem with alpha in the transportbuttons
Secondly there seems to still be some leftovers of the old default theme in the media browser, also the buttons from the transport are used but separated in the media browser, this looks kind of odd (the same goes for other views like the midiview), maybe you should use the complete transport there and grey out what is not used, or use separate icons!

[IMG]http://img406.**************/img406/1091/screence2.png[/IMG]

AMD Athlon-XP 3000+ @ 3200+, 1GB DDR-RAM, Presonus Inspire 1394, Edirol MA-15D

It is always good weather indoors!
Closed Thread