Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

View Poll Results: M-Audio Axiom 25 or E-Mu Xboard 25?
M-Audio Axiom 25 3 50.00%
E-Mu Xboard 25 2 33.33%
Other...(I'll post in thread) 0 0%
Longfin Damselfish 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
bullshark
Human being with feelings

Default M-Audio Axiom 25 or E-Mu Xboard 25?

I narrowed down my choices to those two, but I really can' decide, so, I'll let you decide.

I much prefer the action on the Xboard... On the other hand the Axiom has endless encoder and finger pad(I could really use those)... but the Xboard is cheaper.

Decision, decision...
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
bullshark

25 view and not votes, well, that was really helpful.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
d.bop

Haha don't you love when that happens?

Anyway, I have the XBoard 25 and I love it. I mostly use the encoders for automation rather than real-time synth effects type of stuff (heh, maybe I should try it sometime..)

The pitch wheel on the XBoard snaps back pretty quick, which could be a good thing or a bad thing. Also, no transport. BUT it does have 16 encoders instead of 8, and if you need some pads, you could always go with the KORG nanoPad.

I vote for the XBoard, but I'm a biased/satisfied customer.
You might be able to find a good price on eBay. I paid $79.95 for mine at a pawn shop.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
I paid $79.95 for mine at a pawn shop.
Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see if I find a deal somewhere. Low-balling on ebay for an Xboard now, if that doesn't come through I'll keep at it on the bay, Craiglist etc, 'til I find one, either one < 100 buck. It's not like those are a rarity or that I need it to make a living.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Sigilus

I've got an Axiom (61, not 25, though they're essentially the same).

The interface to program it is somewhat daunting, but the capabilities are endless. If I had any complaints, it would be like you that I am used to a more realistic weighted touch.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Guod3

Ive upgraded my Axiom 25 for a Novation SLmkII.
Axiom Pros
-Good feel on keys and controls
Axiom Cons
-The LCD partially failed soon after I got the unit.
-Actually quite limited Midi Event assignability (want to output PrgChange thru an encoder? ...sorry no can do)
-PC config program called Enigma (appropriate name;-)
-Want to change Axiom preset? (requires multiple control element actions :P)

Not familiar with the alternative so I am in no position to place a useful vote. I suspect most readers will be in a similar position.
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
yep

I love the finger pads on the Axiom. They are the best I've tried.

I haven't tried the Emu one.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Sigilus

Yes, "Enigma" is what it is. Not great at all.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
bullshark

I ended up with an axiom 25, got a good deal on a used one.

Installation was easy as pie, by the time I got my head up from hooking up the USB cable, Window 7 x64 had already finished installing it.

Keyboard is nice, the pad I've found a bit too big, I have a hard time reaching from first one on first row to the last one on second row without moving my hand and still get decent velocity, hopefully I'll get used to them. Mapping the transport to Reaper was easy, took all of 30 seconds. The encoders are click type, not sure I like that. The LCD is big, easy to read and nice color.

I haven't tried the software yet, not even sure I will since what I need this for is very simple, already does more than I need out-the-box. I'm not even sure if the software work on Win 7 x64...

Happy with it overall, no real complaints as long as it last a few years.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
I ended up with an axiom 25, got a good deal on a used one.

Installation was easy as pie, by the time I got my head up from hooking up the USB cable, Window 7 x64 had already finished installing it.

Keyboard is nice, the pad I've found a bit too big, I have a hard time reaching from first one on first row to the last one on second row without moving my hand and still get decent velocity, hopefully I'll get used to them. Mapping the transport to Reaper was easy, took all of 30 seconds. The encoders are click type, not sure I like that. The LCD is big, easy to read and nice color.

I haven't tried the software yet, not even sure I will since what I need this for is very simple, already does more than I need out-the-box. I'm not even sure if the software work on Win 7 x64...

Happy with it overall, no real complaints as long as it last a few years.
Thanks for the report bullshark. I've been lusting after a 49 key version for some time now. I've been too lazy to try and find one at a good price...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
bullshark

Well, the software isn't even listed for Vista x64, and no mention of win 7 so I guess that's it for that; probably could be hacked into working but I don't feel like it.

Just spend some time messing about with the channel after touch and I absolutely love it. It's very responsive to the touch and, mapped to the rotor speed and drive in a B3 emu, you can reach a level of expressiveness you can't have any other way.

A big black mark has to go to the manual thought; it's very cryptic and glances on stuff they should go in depth more, and spend way too much time on stuff that is of limited use and it's weirdly organized on top. Bleh, I'm strangely reminded of my old Yamaha CS2X manual, even wondering if there isn't a contest between Yamaha and Digi "who can write the most cryptic document on what is basically very simple: MIDI".

D, I got mine from Craiglist listings. Not a very demanding process, just wait that one become available, call the guy up and go pick it up; bingo, a cool hundred buck saved that I can use somewhere else.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Sigilus

The software does work on Win7 x64. The downside is it's as convoluted there as it is on any other OS - same dysfunctional interface.