Old 08-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
maurin789
Human being with feelings

Default Making a Sound/ Note Sustain

Hey so I'm new to Reaper and I was wondering if there was a way to make a sound hold for a certain period of time. There's one sound that I would like to be held for longer than it is in the track
maurin789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurin789 View Post
Hey so I'm new to Reaper and I was wondering if there was a way to make a sound hold for a certain period of time. There's one sound that I would like to be held for longer than it is in the track
Hi maurin789, welcome to the forum.

1> Sure there are ways to do that, what kind of a sound is it and how long is it now?

2> Also how long is the sustain part of it now, and how long would you like it?

3> Is it stereo or mono?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
dea-man

Is the sound midi or audio?

Do you just want to stretch it?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
maurin789

It is an audio sound and I dont want to stretch it because I dont want to distort it. Basically, I have a song on a track and I want the end of the song to continue playing. I want the last sound to just hold for about another second.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
dmoss74

have you tried copying a slice of the note, then splicing it at the end, applying a crossfade?
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
martifingers

Have you acually tried tine stretching? It may not distort as much as you think perhaps depending on what's happening in the rest of the mix.
Or, if dmoss74 sugestion doesn't work would applying a long reverb be an alternative? Or a combination?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
dea-man

Yes, how about reverb and delay, applied.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
maurin789

I tried to stretch it out but because it's a short sound stretching it by a second distorts it a lot. Splicing and crossfading didnt seem to work well since there are other sounds in the background of the song that make it sound weird (unless im not crossfading properly). Since Im new to reaper would someone be able to explain how to apply the reverb and delay.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
dmoss74

Quote:
I tried to stretch it out but because it's a short sound stretching it by a second distorts it a lot. Splicing and crossfading didnt seem to work well since there are other sounds in the background of the song that make it sound weird (unless im not crossfading properly). Since Im new to reaper would someone be able to explain how to apply the reverb and delay.
is this a single track? i don't know why you'd be getting any bleed, unless if your tracks aren't separated. if you're trying to stretch a note that includes other audio/midi data, then you may have a problem.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
martifingers

I agree with dmoss74 - you are stretching just the track I hope?

In any case to apply reverb etc. try this:
1 Locate the beginning of the sound and SPLIT the track by pressing S
2. Right click and select ITEM PROPERTIES
3. Then select TAKE FX (it's at the bottom!) and choose a suitable reverb, delay etc.

It may be that your sound is not suitable to stretch I guess (a kick drum would be weird- gotta try that sometime!?) so could you simply overdub it? REAPER will allow you to be clinically precise here. We are all now intrigued by what this mysterious sound actually is!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
martifingers

Actually re-reading your post it seems you want the mix to carry on longer rather than a single note , right? In that case the reverb route may be the way to go. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
dea-man

Yes, I wonder what "exactly" is the sound you are trying to stretch?
Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
maurin789

Sorry I'm being confusing. I cut a song on a track and it now ends with the singer saying "You" but it only lasts for about a quarter of a second. Im trying to get the sound of him saying "you" to hold for more like 3 seconds. Is there a way to do that?
Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
dea-man

Suggestions:

1. Time Stretch

2. Add Reverb and Delay

3. Re-Record

Probably, the easiest, fastest way to get exactly what you want is to re-record the part.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
Sigilus

maurin, what part of the "you" phrase is there? Does it cut off? You'll want to sustain the vowel sound, if you can. The easiest way to do this is to re-record that part and have the vocalist sing it that way.

If that's not an option, you could go with reverb/delay tricks but these will affect the rest of the mix by throwing in all kinds of frequency masking. You'd also just get a long decay, rather than a sustain.

Stretching and crossfading just the vocalist's track is another option, but this only applies if you recorded the vocalist on a separate track and their voice isolated from the other instruments.

In the end, it comes down to recording practices and the simplest thing is going to be to re-record just that note. You could sit the vocalist down in the rehearsal room with headphones and have the rest of the mix playing while they sing their part again. That way you can record a new vocal track for that note, or that line, or measure, and it will be isolated from the rest of the band's performance so you can manipulate it without affecting the other performances.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
dmoss74

Quote:
Sorry I'm being confusing. I cut a song on a track and it now ends with the singer saying "You" but it only lasts for about a quarter of a second. Im trying to get the sound of him saying "you" to hold for more like 3 seconds. Is there a way to do that?

now i'm even more confused.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
Fergler

Is the singer still in your city? Easiest thing to do, really, is to re-record that word. 1/4 second to 3 seconds will sound terrible by any of the previous methods.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
dea-man

Am I to understand that the whole band was recorded on one track?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
maurin789

It's a real song that I am sampling and so yes the whole song is on one track. I have changed around my plan, though so it is no longer necessary for the sound to hold. thank you guys though