Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Caj
Human being with feelings

Default How to make a studio computer ???

Hi all , I have a question about the DPC Latency checker . Even if I donīt hear any dropouts or glitches ( only when

Im composing with bad Vsti or have too high in/output ) DPC is between 1000 us and 8000 us . Can I trust DPC Latency

checker ? I have pretty good PC : Windows 7 64 bit SP1 , i7 2600K 3.40 GHz , RAM 16 GB , Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO

GEN3 , 4 harddrives : 1: SSD 120GB ( OS+programs ) 2: SATA 700GB ( samplelibrary and vsi effects ), 3: SATA 1TB

(REAPER and Audio-Mulch projects , 4: SATA 1.5 TB (storage drive). Graphiccard : Gigabyte GeForce GT 520 passive

cooling . Power supply 800W . Audio interface: Motu UltraLite mk3 hybrid .Keyboard : M-Audio Keystudio (not so good).
Sometimes I got problems with to high in/output and I can then hear gitches and drop- outs .
I have believed that this causes of my bad knowledge how to make the right in/out settings , but can it be any other

problem ? DPC says that I have device drivers that behave bad and that I shall try to disable/re-enable various

devices . For ex network , W-LAN adapters , usb host controllers . But I have to bad computer knowledge to do that .
Anyone who have any advice to make my PC more like a studio computer ?
Would be grateful for some advice .
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
danfuerth

Well this is going to be a train ride lol.

My recommendation is always as follow

1.Start with the BIOS, any cpu stepping features MUST BE DISABLED, Intel is notorious for this

2.Next up is the system settings, make sure any visuals are off, system is set to background services priority

3.Swap file ( this is an never ending discussion) OFF!!! although others will say LEAVE IT ON.

4.System services - NO BRAINER All non needed services off.

5.Prepare to make a custom batch so that when Reaper runs, DHCP, WIFI and other services are disabled

Disable any hardware that you do not use from Device Manager( set it to disable don't uninstall it)

Disable system sounds

WIFI on windows 7 is notorious for Audio issues.

I have the Windows 7 Super service batch and the Windows 8 Super service batch on the forums, look for my name on there.

Start with inside the PC, open up the cover, anything blocking the fans, wiring all neatly arranged.. Hardrives plugged in the right order?

Primary harddrive alone as Master, any slaves hooked up to it?, can you seperate those slaves...
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Caj

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post

1.Start with the BIOS, any cpu stepping features MUST BE DISABLED, Intel is notorious for this

2.Next up is the system settings, make sure any visuals are off, system is set to background services priority

3.Swap file ( this is an never ending discussion) OFF!!! although others will say LEAVE IT ON.

5.Prepare to make a custom batch so that when Reaper runs, DHCP, WIFI and other services are disabled

Disable any hardware that you do not use from Device Manager( set it to disable don't uninstall it)

Disable system sounds

I have the Windows 7 Super service batch and the Windows 8 Super service batch on the forums, look for my name on there.

Start with inside the PC, open up the cover, anything blocking the fans, wiring all neatly arranged.. Hardrives plugged in the right order?

Primary harddrive alone as Master, any slaves hooked up to it?, can you seperate those slaves...
Very much thanks ! 1: what is CPU stepping ???
2: The only thing Iīve done so far .
3: What is Swap file ???
4: How do I do this ???
5: ??????? How do I find them and how do I disable ?
I have disabled Asus bluetooth, Nvidia high definition audio and Realtek High definition audio .The rest : how do I know what is necesseray ???
I have disabled aystem sounds .
How do I disable WIFI ???
Nothing is blocking the fans .
Wiring is neatly arranged .
The last advice : What do you mean ???
As you see , my computer knowledge is really bad .
Thanks again , if I know how to do.... ????
Old 01-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Caj

I found your Windows 7 ultimate-Pro Auto Serices disable tool : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=113023
Is that Windows 7 Super service batch ?
But was it batch ? I donīt understand . I have only composed computer/electronic music for 1 1/2 year . Before that I had never used a computer at all, so much of what you say is like reading on a language I never learnīt . I really need some help .
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
danfuerth

The Windows 7 batch only disables services that are meant for corporate use and have no business being in a consumer OS.

So nothing is disabled that you need to run your system, only the "baggage" is disabled.
You can use the batch to tweek your system to trim out the waste.

Just copy the batch code into a text file and save that text file and rename the extension from .txt to .bat

then right click the batch file and "run as administrator"

Since you have an intel please check this post, as it explains why you should disabled the INtel speed step.

In fact this post should be something you sould be looking at as the OP had issues with his new system.

So all the posts contain tips and excellent information for you.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116534
Post # 24 has a screenshot for the Intel stuff.

keep reading after that there is tip after tip
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
Caj

In what text file ? the notepad ?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Caj

Quote:
The Windows 7 batch only disables services that are meant for corporate use and have no business being in a consumer OS.

So nothing is disabled that you need to run your system, only the "baggage" is disabled.
You can use the batch to tweek your system to trim out the waste.

Just copy the batch code into a text file and save that text file and rename the extension from .txt to .bat

then right click the batch file and "run as administrator"

Since you have an intel please check this post, as it explains why you should disabled the INtel speed step.

In fact this post should be something you sould be looking at as the OP had issues with his new system.

So all the posts contain tips and excellent information for you.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116534
Post # 24 has a screenshot for the Intel stuff.

keep reading after that there is tip after tip
I have tried to do what I can of your advices , but I have still not the courage to go in the bios . But know I have worked for 1 hour and 14 min without that Latency Mon says that someting is wrong .
It switches between Direct X Graphics kernel , Nvidia windows kernel and kernel mode driver framework runtime to have the biggest us (ecuse my bad english).
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Caj

Quote:

Disable system sounds

Is the swap file the same as page file ?
Under virtuell memory I ticked : no page file .
Have I done the right thing ?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Caj

Dan , with my brotherīs help I could disable CPU EIST (Enhanced Intel Speed step Technology is it named in the manual for my motherboard ).
And CPU Enhanced halt (C1E) ( CPU C1E Auto in my motherboard )in the Bios .
After 30 min I have no clicks ( and it seems OK in Latency Mon so far ).
But it is still Nvidia windows kernel mode driver and Kernel mode driver for framework runtime ,microsoft corp.which has the highest us value . 712 us and 606 .
I will see tomorrow how it works .
Thanks a lot .
Caj.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
morgon

Default Upgrade

What i wanna [continue to with less problemos] do : make 3-5 min songs inc. gtr keyb bass drums,on a dedicated DAW pc [no internet] I got a good AI and here is the pc spec [subject to further investg.]

[Gen] Intel Pent 4 2.6 GHz

Processor Version: x86 Family 15 Model 2 stepping 9

System Model: D865GBF_

BIOS Version: Intel Corp BF86510A.86A.0038.P08.0306241812

XP Service Pack 2

RAM: 500 mb

Any advice greatly appreciated, i know i gotta upgrade the RAM and i know theres an anti-static procedure but im not sure of that or type of RAM?

My first album nearly done [the hard way,on generic old SC and flaky jack convertrs] next one gotta be easier, thanx for any help -morgon
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Caj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj View Post
Dan , with my brotherīs help I could disable CPU EIST (Enhanced Intel Speed step Technology is it named in the manual for my motherboard ).
And CPU Enhanced halt (C1E) ( CPU C1E Auto in my motherboard )in the Bios .
After 30 min I have no clicks ( and it seems OK in Latency Mon so far ).
But it is still Nvidia windows kernel mode driver and Kernel mode driver for framework runtime ,microsoft corp.which has the highest us value . 712 us and 606 .
I will see tomorrow how it works .
Thanks a lot .
Caj.
Yipee !!! today I have made music in REAPER for 2 hours , with my ethernet cable disabled and also my antivirus disabled . It sounds better (no clicks)
and Latency Mon says that my system is OK for audio .
When I finished with REAPER I activated my antivirus and inserted the ethernet cable (ADSL) and immediately Latency Mon said that my system had trouble .
Great thanks dan !I will with my brotherīs help continue with your advices .
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
Caj

Quote:

Disable system sounds

Thanks Dan ,now is my PC running very good for audio , the only thing I havenīt done is the custom batch : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...omputer&page=2 (Post# 48)
I must have my brother here if something goes wrong .
A question : how shall I do whith windows update ? I have set it : Do not
search after updates . But my antivirus (Eset smart security 5) popped up whith a message that I should update the OS .
So I searched after updates thru windows update , and it came up whith 9 inportant updates . Shall I make these updates ? or is it only a few of them I shall update ?
If so , wich of them shall I choose ? (itīs security updates and updates for net framework).
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
danfuerth

DO NOT USE WINDOWS UPDATE PERIOD ON ANY Live Production DAW

The Windows updates are done first on a secondary similar hardware machine then tested and then the Daw is updated

No good admin would do this on running desktop workstation clients, a few are done first before all others go through the updates.

DO NOT FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN.

I have never used Windows Update, not lying here NEVER at home on my desktops or laptops

Always install Service Packs instead

I also do not run antivirus ever since Windows 98.

The only important thing to remember : KISS "Keep it simple stupit"

I am not sure if you are aware but I run Linux ( puppy linux slacko) for my daily computer use. I only use Windows for Daw and Video works.

I have always dualbooted Windows with Linux. These days I am so used to Puppy Linux that I won't use anything else LOL.

A big tip for Windows users, is to always have file extensions ON, as they are always off by default.

Example of sneak Brontok spyware and why people keep reinfecting themselves

data ( looks like a folder)

People click on it too late !!! lol

let's look at it with file extensions on

data.exe ( now you know it's not a folder, right click and delete this crap)

brontok is one of worse spyware out there, because it relies on the fact the file extensions are always off, so people keep reinfecting themselves over and over. And as soon as you put a memory card or flash drive into that system it will copy brontok to the SD card or jump drive, so basically infecting others as well!!

This all due to people keeping file extensions off.

Yes with file extensions On you have to be more careful when rename files as the extension will also be editable.

At my computer store that I have, I have told the 2 par time guys anytime they see any hints of Brontok, they are to call the customer and ask them to bring in any SD cards or jump drives, because if we clean their system as soon as they get it home REINFECTION lol.

Last edited by danfuerth; 02-13-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Stipes Vigilo

Without a doubt, one of the most informative threads I've read. Been looking at the new xeon processor(s) systems and I know one company is adding a program to theirs to do all this automatically. I think I would like to try all this on an older laptop which still runs XP pro SP3. Is that possible or is this strictly for the Win 7/8 OS?
Stipes Vigilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
danfuerth

Hi there and thanks for the comment

Windows XP is one of the most easiest OS's to tweek due to most of the services it runs are all seperate services, it means they run independently of any other which causes less problems.

Windows 7 changed the services a little and some services are tied to to others so you have to shut them down in proper specific orders

Windows 8 is even worse with this some services aka the Network services are almost all tied together LOL a bit trickier to shut one off when another depends on it. However Windows 8 is more forgiving with drastic system changes.

Basically you can get down to I believe around 12 services running in the system services configuration with XP

Xp is a great OS for embeded Devices

Example if you wanted to make a mini PC to hook up to the tv to play old console or PC games you can use XP and kill all the services, make dos batch menu to run instead of the explorer shell this way all you see is a menu with all the games you want to run

I did this for my niece, and the mini computer runs on XP, 2 gigs of ram and uses a CF card as a hardrive with a CF to EIDE adapter.

Perfect for kids as they do not have access to the OS LOL.

You can turn that batch menu into an exe and then run that exe in the place of explorer.exe ( since you always have access to CTRL+ALT+DEL for task manager.

The only problem with these posts is they can become long, but however you do not see posts for hardware issues, repair instructions, building your daw pc, hacking drivers, modding drivers on any other Daw forums.
Which is a shame in my opinion.

Look at the cubase forums, first answer to any question is this on every single post :

Q. I am having a problem with xx version anyone can help?

A. You sure you are not running a pirated version?

Sickening after people spend their hard earned money.

Last edited by danfuerth; 02-13-2013 at 12:24 PM.