Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #1
nzaino
Human being with feelings

Default Multichannel Recording w Allen & Heath ZEDi 10fx

Greetings,

I am having trouble with multichannel recording on Reaper using an Allen & Heath ZEDi 10fx board.

I was able to use the board fairly well and map to analogue channels one and two using ASIO when I first got the board. Now I can't bring the option to record that up. Even when I am in ASIO, I don't get the option for two separate channels. The only thing that changed was that I used Reaper to convert some files to CD quality to upload to CDBaby. Don't know why that would effect anything, but it's the only thing I changed.

I've read the ZEDi manual, and don't seem to be able to map the four separate channels into Reaper, either. I haven't had reason to record that way yet, but hope to in the near future. I've tried the punch buttons on the board that let you choose what sends, but that hasn't worked.

I'm sure there's something silly I'm missing, but I've looked around the boards a bit and read the literature, and I can't seem to find an answer. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
nzaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:14 AM   #2
garanimals

You might check if your PC audio has taken over the device.

I can usually get multiple programs to use the same device, but for troubleshooting, I start by assigning the OS audio to a different device.

If your ASIO device is then recognized in Reaper, you then know what the problem is.
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:16 PM   #3
nzaino

Thanks! I found the settings had changed somehow on my input, so I set it back to ZEDi 1&2. Now I can record two separate channels.

Which brings me to the other part of the question. Is there a way to send all four channels at once?

What I've found is that I can choose from six different input options - M1, M2, M3, M4, M1&2 and M3&4. There never seems to be an option to send all four inputs at the same time, in case I want to record drums with four mics, for example. Is this just not possible or is there some kind of routing trick I've missed?
Old 05-14-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
Bazzbass

depends. what does the manual say?

A lot of the USB mixers will only send the stereo master out via USB, not each channel. This sounds like your situation.A lot of people have bought the wrong mixer believing that each channel is exportable via USB.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:16 AM   #5
Heart Doctor

Default ZEDi USB Audio Interface

According to the manual, you should be able to record 4 channels separately.
See section 3.1 of the manual:

"A built-in 4 in, 4 out, 24-bit/96kHz USB Audio Interface allows for studio-quality recording
direct from your mixer to your PC without the need of any additional equipment.
For Windows systems, driver software must be installed in order for it to work.
The latest drivers and documentation can be found at www.allen-heath.com/downloads
If neither of these buttons are selected the default channel USB OUT source is taken
directly from channels M1 - M2 - M3 - M4."
Heart Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #6
nzaino

The board does have the ability to send four separate channels of isolated sound at the same time, at least in theory. My problem is, when I get to preferences and look at my options for the device recording in ASIO, I can only ever choose two inputs (Analog 1 and 2 if I choose the ZEDi 1&2 device input, or Analog 3&4 if I choose the ZEDi 3&4 as the device input). There doesn't seem to be a way to map four channels under preferences so I can choose them for different tracks.

I did figure out that I can send all four channels to the computer for Zoom or Facebook shows on the board by using the M! M2 L R preset on the ZEDi board and choosing ZEDi 3&4 as the input, because it sends it to the computer through the L and R (at least that's the way I've understood it from the videos I've watched on the subject). So the live broadcasting element works fine.

But I am interested in getting deeper into recoding using Reaper, and I'm hoping I can figure out how to send the four channels separately and live so I can record drums at some point and also voice, guitar, and a drum machine for demos and such. Maybe there isn't a way to do it, but it always feels like I'm just missing a setting somewhere and I am just a hair away from being able to do what I want to do.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:51 AM   #7
Stella645

Where you set the audio device prefs in Reaper there are boxes to select first and last input. Make sure they are set to 1 and 4.

For each track right click on the record arm button and from input:mono choose the input.

Quote:
What I've found is that I can choose from six different input options - M1, M2, M3, M4
Wait....I'm confused as these are your 4 inputs. Why are you saying you only have 2 input options in another post??
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:57 PM   #8
nzaino

Ah, that does it! I knew I was just missing something dumb. I wasn't thinking "first and last" for the input selections, I was thinking I had two total. I set it to "one" and "four" and can now record the four input separately. Thank you!

About the "two inputs" comment - I think what you're referring to is a couple of places where I only seemed to have two input choices. This meant I only seemed to have two choices in terms of the input selection in the different software (including Zoom and Reaper) I have been using the board for.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:20 AM   #9
Bazzbass

awesome, you sussed it out !

love this forum