Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default SOLVED:Installing LV2 plugins questions...

Can someone explain how to install LV2 plugins? I tried copying the lV2 to a created folder on Home, then added that path to the Reaper plugins section, but it does not see them.

It suggests a folder on the USR but this is blocked from editing or adding, but even so, after having a look there, there is no lv2 folder there as suggested by /usr/lib/lv2;/usr/local/lib/lv2;~/.lv2 noted in the dialogue.

Last edited by pax-eterna; 05-05-2021 at 04:25 PM.
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Can someone explain how to install LV2 plugins? I tried copying the lV2 to a created folder on Home, then added that path to the Reaper plugins section, but it does not see them.

It suggests a folder on the USR but this is blocked from editing or adding, but even so, after having a look there, there is no lv2 folder there as suggested by /usr/lib/lv2;/usr/local/lib/lv2;~/.lv2 noted in the dialogue.
In your home folder is where you would create a .lv2 folder and drop LV2 plugins into it. You will need to have your file browser set to show hidden files and folders in it's view options to see it, because things that start with a dot are hidden.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
In your home folder is where you would create a .lv2 folder and drop LV2 plugins into it. You will need to have your file browser set to show hidden files and folders in it's view options to see it, because things that start with a dot are hidden.
Thanks Glenn...I did try that earlier but when I went into the options to set the path, Reaper did not see the LV2 I placed there...I did copy/paste the LV2 folder containing the lv2, should I just direct copy the lv2 files themselves?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks Glenn...I did try that earlier but when I went into the options to set the path, Reaper did not see the LV2 I placed there...I did copy/paste the LV2 folder containing the lv2, should I just direct copy the lv2 files themselves?
Most of my LV2 plugins have their own folder, with the .so files in the folder. For instance, I have an LV2 guitar tuner that is in the folder,

/home/glennbo/.lv2/tuna.lv2/

and in the folder is the file "tuna.so" along with some support files.

One thing to make sure of is that you are downloading native Linux LV2 files because there are LV2 for Windows and for Mac as well, and they are different.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
pax-eterna

Thanks, yeah it's Pianoteq and it's the Linux version I d/l'd...I'll keep playing around with it.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
pax-eterna

Can I put them here?
home/opt/REAPER/Plugins or are Reaper plugins VST not LV2?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks, yeah it's Pianoteq and it's the Linux version I d/l'd...I'll keep playing around with it.
I just copied the folder "Pianoteq 7.lv2" from the archive into my .lv2 folder and REAPER picked it up.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
pax-eterna

hmmm, than I am doing something wrong! afaict I am following the instructions from Moddart and placing that LV2 folder into the LV2 folder I created in home.

It'll be something simple I bet...

Is your lv2 folder in home?

It's like Reaper is just not scanning when I click on the Re-scan tab...sorta nothing happens it just stays at 0 files found (or whatever that message is)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
hmmm, than I am doing something wrong! afaict I am following the instructions from Moddart and placing that LV2 folder into the LV2 folder I created in home.

It'll be something simple I bet...

Is your lv2 folder in home?

It's like Reaper is just not scanning when I click on the Re-scan tab...sorta nothing happens it just stays at 0 files found (or whatever that message is)
My LV2 folder is located here:

/home/glennbo/.lv2

The path you had in your first post,

/usr/lib/lv2;/usr/local/lib/lv2;~/.lv2

would match with the ~/.lv2 at the end, where the ~/ specifies your home folder, then the .lv2 folder.

Also note that files and folders that begin with a dot are hidden and to see them in your file browser you'll need to select show hidden files on the view menu.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #10
pax-eterna

yep, got the viewing ok...looking at what you pasted there I think it might be the syntax I have wrong...got to duck out for a while but I'll try that when I get back!
Old 05-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #11
pax-eterna

knew it was something simple....this time when I hovered the mouse over the path entry field, it popped up a message saying sub-folders are not read!!!

Bingo!

Moved the .so and accompanying files to the LV2 folder from the sub-folder and we have lift-off!

Thanks Glenn, without you pasting that address line I probably would not have studied it as closely or slowly! I kept missing that popup box!
Old 05-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
knew it was something simple....this time when I hovered the mouse over the path entry field, it popped up a message saying sub-folders are not read!!!

Bingo!

Moved the .so and accompanying files to the LV2 folder from the sub-folder and we have lift-off!

Thanks Glenn, without you pasting that address line I probably would not have studied it as closely or slowly! I kept missing that popup box!
Veddy cool. Glad you got it working. It's easy to look at things like path lines and not see anything wrong when you're first getting familiar with Linux. Stuff like that though, is set it once and forget it once you have it working.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
pax-eterna

yeah for sure (re do once and forget) - now I have my basic config up and running, I'm going to do a disk image!
Old 10-24-2023, 05:13 PM   #14
grangerf

Hey guys.

I know this post is set a solved, but even though I try to do exactly as you mentionned, my scanning does not work.

My lv2 are in home/felix/.lv2/ .

The path is set but it won't scan them.

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu/Linux. I got some vsts working with yabridge and wine but these one are not working.

Any help would be appreciated
grangerf is offline   Reply With Quote