Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default Ubuntu Studio or Elementary OS?

I am about to install a linux os (still a bit more converting work to do with old Sonar projects, but soon) and I want to ask for recommendations for an OS.

I REALLY like the very MAC feel,operation and look of Elementary OS (EOS) . It is also a relatively "light" installation but it can run the Ubuntu repos...

I have looked at Ubuntu Studio (US) and while it seems to setup nicely for audio production, I do not need all the graphics and other multimedia apps and configurations.

But if it is the best system for audio (both studio and live) then I would go that way obviously.

So the questions are,
1.can I run EOS using the music (audio) repos of US?
2.run US but with some sort of 3rd party desktop that would emulate EOS?
3.Just run US?
4.Just run EOS using it's default system (it does even allow native installation of Reaper from it's own "app store"

Thanks
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
pax-eterna

Anyone??
Old 04-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Glennbo

You might be the first to try it. I've used Xubuntu since switching to REAPER for Linux about three years ago. Others here use Manjaro and AV Linux. You should just install whatever it is you want to use and see if it works.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
babag

i use ubuntu studio with kde plasma for the desktop. ubuntu studio was the only distro i found, at the time i set up, that would find and set up my gear out of the box. kde is the only desktop that can give me the desktop i want with my display setup.

you should look into whether you can set up ubuntu studio during the install to lean towards a particular type of work. you may be able to omit a lot of stuff right in the install.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
pax-eterna

Thanks for those replies.

To the first, I really do not have the time to do a full "suck it and see" approach. Trying to glean some sort of background before jumping in is the aim here. So I have a reasonable expectation of success.

I'll have a look at the install for Ubuntu Studio and see if it can be "lightened" . I like the look of the plasma desktop, but the Ubuntu Studio version using it is not LTS. Just 6 month, so I guess that is a factor too.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #6
Glennbo

Xubuntu is a light 'buntu flavor (but not as light as Lubuntu), which was why I chose it eight years ago for my MythTV server that was running on older hardware.

Then three years ago when I decided to dump Windows 7 and go Linux on six other machines in the house, I first did my DAW which was a pretty powerful Asus/i5. REAPER has worked flawlessly for the last three years and I push my audio hardware to the limit.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
JamesPeters

Default Long-winded post about Linux distros and configuration...

The recommendation of trying distros may seem flippant, but there's something to be said about it. You'll probably end up switching distros at some point, and soon, no matter which one you start with. Part of that is the fact you can do it (whereas other OSes give you "it's this way or nothing" as an option), and the curiosity that comes with it. So don't be too offended by that suggestion. It's either that or it's going to be "do what I do" suggestions, and people's opinions will vary a lot. You'll be in the same boat anyway. The good part is: most distros will work fine for DAW use, and probably won't require much configuration...unless you want to run all possible Linux DAW software (which you may not).

Here's my 2c.

I don't use audio-specific distros since:

-they're not maintained as much as mainstream and common distros (I want up-to-date kernels and software), and

-I don't need Jack since I use ALSA (I don't use anything "outside" Reaper that I need to "connect it to"), so I also don't need any unusual distro configuration to be done.

Here's what I do in terms of configuring the distro for low latency audio use in Reaper (it's just a couple things that you'd do in any OS, plus a possible kernel swap). I currently use Manjaro, but I've used various Ubuntu-based and Debian-based distros. The steps are the same for all of them.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....11#post2349311

As of kernel 5.10, you may not even need to install a low latency kernel either. At least with Manjaro, the generic kernel is low latency as of that version. You can check your kernel by entering this in Terminal: "uname -a" (if it shows "PREEMPT", it's a low latency kernel).

I think Ubuntu Studio's repo is basically just Ubuntu's repo, and the deal with Ubuntu Studio is that it's more "set up already" for DAW use. That includes Jack, and whatever configuration for Jack that's recommended, plus some other tools for managing the audio system a bit more easily. (I don't need any of that though.)

KXstudio repo is probably what you're most interested in, not whether there's anything "extra" in Ubuntu Studio's repo. KXstudio repo can be used in most distros, so that shouldn't be an issue. (In Manjaro, I don't need to use KXstudio since most of that stuff is already in the main repo.)

You can configure most distros to look like another that you prefer, but it's best to start with a distro variant/edition that already has the desktop environment (DE) that you prefer. If you don't do that, swapping DEs can be a pain, involving possible things that need resolving (which may confuse you). So if Gnome is more your preference, find a distro that has a Gnome variant/flavor/spin/edition (whatever they call it). You can search "how to make Ubuntu look like Mac" and you'll find info specific to that distro (as an example).

I doubt there's anything very specific in Elementary that can't be done in other distros. I dislike the mac-style menu at the bottom so that's never been a concern for me. I use XFCE as the DE since it's the most stable/fast-responding DE that I've tried, and I set my panel to be more like Windows 7-ish (although customized for icons, color, etc.) Anyway you can read up on different "dock" applications and choose one. For instance if I wanted to add a dock to Manjaro XFCE edition (the specific distro I use), I'd pick one of these that's in the Manjaro repo and it'd be installed in seconds:

https://www.fossmint.com/best-docks-for-ubuntu-linux/

(Most on that page are in the Manjaro official repo. Some aren't compatible with XFCE however. If in doubt, search for more info about a particular dock to determine which DE it's meant for.)

From there it would be a matter of choosing the theme, icons, and whatever customization I want. It's pretty easy as long as you choose a distro with a DE that allows customization. Elementary's doesn't allow for much customization, so consider that. If you like it "as is", that's fine. But the first thing I read about it that might bother me: it doesn't allow icons on the desktop. Each DE has its own quirks, so you'll figure that stuff out as you use it.

I'm sure Elementary would be fine for audio work, if you do what I do. If you want to use Jack, you'll need to do more steps, and in that case maybe you'd want to start with Ubuntu Studio.

If you plan to run Windows VST plugins in Reaper for Linux: that's something I don't do, so I have no concerns with my distro or its configuration in that regard. Fortunately there are lots of posts on a thread in this forum about that. Again it's something that can be done in most distros, so you don't need to run an audio-specific distro. That's up to you.

I chose Manjaro, which is an Arch-based distro, for a couple reasons. I want to avoid Canonical (the company that maintains Ubuntu), so that means avoiding Ubuntu variants. They've done some things recently that remind me of Microsoft, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (You may not care about that, of course.) Also since Manjaro is Arch-based, the repo is very extensive and up-to-date, but not so "bleeding edge" that things break. I don't have to search for binary downloads, flatpak, etc. since most things are the latest version in the main repo. I'm not even using the AUR for anything, but that's another bonus. Manjaro is a user-friendly Arch-based distro that has rolling updates. The only "downside" of this distro, and it's minor: a lot of information about distros involves using Debian-based and Ubuntu-based package managers and their commands. Arch (and its variants) use a different package manager and different commands. If you don't use Terminal though you probably wouldn't notice a difference between Manjaro and Mint (other than the repo, and the other things I mentioned).

I install Reaper from the download on Cockos' site. That way I can put whatever version I want on including prereleases, development versions, previous versions, and I can manage it any way I want at any time. The install script works fine for me. I choose to install in a folder with user permissions, not admin permissions, so it never causes me problems.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-04-2021 at 11:34 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
pax-eterna

@ JamesPeters - Outstanding reply, very much appreciated. thank you.

Good info there, and tbh I have never really looked at manjaro at all. The whole JACK and ALSA thing does me a bit, I am used to using one ASIO driver for all the PC (DAW and everyday) audio...So I'll need to research the needs and differences a bit.

I was disappointed to read Canonical are emulating Microsoft...one of the main reasons for me (and probably 99% of all others) is to get AWAY from MS type operations. Food for thought for sure.

Anyhoo, great reply and I will read it several times to follow up (my own research) on all the points you raised.

Cheers
Old 04-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
JamesPeters

Glad to help.

If you plan to use a single audio device for simultaneous playback of all audio (Reaper plus your web browser and so on)--ALSA on its own won't be enough. This is why some people still prefer to use Jack even if they're not interconnecting various apps to DAWs and so on. ALSA is like ASIO "exclusive" to one app at a time, and Jack can interconnect them (but it requires to be configured appropriately).

I never play audio from any other app while using Reaper though, so using ALSA in Reaper causes me no issues. You can also set Reaper to release the audio device when the app isn't focused and not playing, so it will allow Pulse audio sources such as your browser etc. to play audio. So there's still some middle ground even using ALSA "exclusively" like that in Reaper.

Canonical hasn't gone "full Microsoft" yet, but they seem intent on trying to control some aspects of Linux more than I'm comfortable with. I might be paranoid, but also I can use other distros, so it's no big deal for me to not use Ubuntu.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #10
pax-eterna

Just one supplementary question please, minimal download or the full (bearing in mind the above) ?

I'll probs go for the Plasma DE...apparently also low on resources

Haha, answering my own question here, looked at some comments on Manjaro forum and i'l just go with full for now. I think I need way more experience with Linux to go for the minimal!

Last edited by pax-eterna; 04-04-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Glad to help.

......ALSA is like ASIO "exclusive" to one app at a time, and Jack can interconnect them (but it requires to be configured appropriately).......
Much the same as the "advanced" section of Sound Properties in MS...where you can turn that exclusivity on and off.... so yeah I get that.

I prefer simple that works, so I might just stick with ALSA and use the control in Reaper.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Just one supplementary question please, minimal download or the full (bearing in mind the above) ?

I'll probs go for the Plasma DE...apparently also low on resources
"Minimal" for Manjaro is a bit too minimal, IMO. I had to install some dependencies later for some things. The "full" Manjaro isn't bloated. It may have a few things you don't want in there (Steam perhaps, etc.) but it's still ok, maybe 2.4 GB total (500 MB larger than "minimal").

KDE Plasma is a bit sluggish for my liking but it looks fancier. It also has a memory leak issue but most people don't seem to notice. (Gnome does too.) That's why XFCE is still my choice.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
babag

i'll just add a bit of detail here regarding my own choice of DE.

xfce would be my DE of choice and i spent a lot of time experimenting with it and on the forum for it. what i found was that, given my, maybe unusual, display setup, it simply didn't do what i needed.

i have four monitors. one is on the wall, a large-screen tv, and there are three, side by side, across my console table. what gives xfce the problems is that, if you want to put icons on your desktop, xfce always (or at least at the time i was exploring - and there seemed to be little interest in changing this) puts the icons starting at the top left of the desktop. i want them on the lower right, in front of where i sit. (client on left, me on right.) having them on the top left puts them on the big screen tv, which is always set to video input so the desktop doesn't show unless i actively switch to it. imagine having to do that every time you want to click an icon. not workable.

this is also not a situation that would be exclusive to my many-display setup. you could run into it with as few as two, such as with a laptop.

it's possible that they've addressed this in the time since i tested but i doubt it.

i also tried many other DEs and found that kde was the ONLY one that allowed me to set the desktop up as i wanted. one other (maybe rox? it was one that required a ridiculous amount of config file editing just to place an icon) did allow me to set up sort of like i wanted but wasn't worth the trouble.

kde has put a lot of work, apparently, into lightening its footprint so i just go with them now. wish i could use xfce but they lost me.

babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #14
pax-eterna

thanks babag, good to know that. I'll only be using a single monitor (and a touch screen for live work) so you have got me thinking about researching a bit more to ensure touchscreen compatibility.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #15
michael diemer

I've been using Cakewalk by Bandlab, but I just decided to head back to Reaper. CbB (essentially the continuation of Sonar Platinum) no longer supports Windows 7, and is rather condescending about it, which is pretty annoying. Linux is my other great love after music, and it's always been in the back of my mind that I'll give Reaper for Linux a try at some time. that time has come.

Coincidentally, I've chosen Manjaro as my distro. I ran it a few years ago and was very impressed. I'm going with the XFCE version, always liked that desktop. And I also want to avoid Ubuntu variants. Ubuntu used to be great but like windows they have gone downhill.

I'll be able to install tomorrow as Manjaro will take all day to download, my internet speed has been crap lately. Like everything else these days...

So, here's looking forward to rejoining this great community here, on the Linux side. See you around.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #16
Glennbo

Nice to see ya 'round Michael. I remember you from the Cake groups.

I switched to REAPER for Linux in August 2018, and haven't looked back.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
michael diemer

Yeah, I remember you Glenn. I've mentioned your name to folks on the Cakewalk forum who were asking about Linux. I've referred several people here as it's by far the best option for doing music on Linux. And the only major DAW made for all platforms. Gotta love that!
Old 04-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #18
Glennbo

Well, welcome aboard! Most Windows plugins can be used running them in WINE and bridging them with LinVST. I've replaced all my audio plugins with native Linux ones, and only use a few Windows instrument plugins now, like Kontakt and Superior Drummer 2.

Tell the gang I said hey! Is Jim Roseberry still hanging in the Cake forum? Been a while since I've talked to him, but I've kept touch with Phil Cody and Ted Perlman.

Hehe, Ted sent me this pic of his new SG when I mentioned that I just bought an SG. A band he was producing bought it for him when their record came out. I had to pay for mine.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/81/img...205_808180.jpg
Old 04-05-2021, 11:33 AM   #19
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Well, welcome aboard! Most Windows plugins can be used running them in WINE and bridging them with LinVST. I've replaced all my audio plugins with native Linux ones, and only use a few Windows instrument plugins now, like Kontakt and Superior Drummer 2.
I may have misunderstood something...I thought you could use LinVST instead of WINE? It somehow "wrapped" them to enable use in Reaper on Linux? Reading your post it indicates you HAVE to run WINE together with LinVST...
Old 04-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
I may have misunderstood something...I thought you could use LinVST instead of WINE? It somehow "wrapped" them to enable use in Reaper on Linux? Reading your post it indicates you HAVE to run WINE together with LinVST...
That's correct. You install Windows plugins the same way as you do in Windows, but you are doing it in WINE. Once a Windows plugin has successfully been installed in WINE, you bridge it to Linux with either LinVST or Yabridge. Then in REAPER for Linux they act like normal plugins.

I can load old Windows projects and all the Windows plugins will load as transparently as they did in Windows. Every project I do starts out with scratch drums in Superior Drummer 2 for Windows, which I use as a metronome until I record final acoustic drums.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #21
pax-eterna

Oh, bother! haha....May have to re-think then....in the past I have NEVER been able to get wine to work at all even when following step by step guides. One of the reasons I keep jumping back to windows.

Thanks for the clarification
Old 04-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #22
Glennbo

Quote:
Oh, bother! haha....May have to re-think then....in the past I have NEVER been able to get wine to work at all even when following step by step guides. One of the reasons I keep jumping back to windows.

Thanks for the clarification
Are you running mainstream versions of Linux?

I've been running Xubuntu going on three years now, with the Windows plugins I use and only one issue has arisen since, and it was due to my running the staging vs. stable version of WINE.

I've recorded more than twenty new projects since switching to Linux, and almost all of them have Kontakt and some other Windows plugins. Only the very oldest song on my music page were recorded in Windows.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
michael diemer

Does the free Kontakt Player work, or are you referring to the full version?
Old 04-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Does the free Kontakt Player work, or are you referring to the full version?
I have not installed the free one, but I'm sure it will work too. I first installed Kontakt Essentials or whatever the stripped down paid version they used to sell. Then once I saw that work, I installed the full paid version of Kontakt. There is a trick to getting it installed as the .iso that gets downloaded during the install has both Mac and Windows partitions on the one .iso, and installation will fail halfway through, *but* the .iso is still there, and with a special command that mounts the Windows part of the .iso and hides the Mac side. Then the installation runs like normal.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #25
pax-eterna

Quote:
Are you running mainstream versions of Linux?

I've been running Xubuntu going on three years now, with the Windows plugins I use and only one issue has arisen since, and it was due to my running the staging vs. stable version of WINE.

I've recorded more than twenty new projects since switching to Linux, and almost all of them have Kontakt and some other Windows plugins. Only the very oldest song on my music page were recorded in Windows.
Hmm, iirc I was...In my naivety I just assumed it was all pretty much plug and play, well thats how the WINE sits enthused. But it was far from it....I could run the VST installer exe's ok, that worked, but when it came time to use them there was always some windows .DLL missing or some run-time file missing...stuff along those lines
Old 04-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #26
JamesPeters

I just tried Yabridge and LinVST, using Wine Staging 6.4. It was quite easy for the most part. I looked up Yabridge on Github and read that it needs Wine Staging, and that I should use a particular version. So I installed that first, then Yabridge (from the AUR, since I'm using Manjaro). It was ready in less than a minute. Then it was on to installing plugins and "bridging" them. That was very fast too. I added LinVST (not the VST3 version and not the "x" version) for a comparison. Both were very easy to set up and bridge the plugins.

A couple installers of Windows VST gave error messages, but I just looked up the names of the files missing on the Internet and I found Linux forums with people solving the issue (for unrelated Windows software, games actually). I needed to add Winetricks, then add a Windows package. So that was resolved in about 1 minute.

As for any software which needed to be authorized: I didn't do that. I've heard there can be other hurdles to overcome in that regard.

Anyway Yabridge seemed to perform better for CPU than LinVST, at least with a couple free plugins I tried. I didn't do any exhaustive testing since I won't be using Windows VST anyway. I just wanted to try doing it.

There were a few annoyances:

1) When the plugins load, it takes an extra second or two, and the rendering of the image when moving the plugin window is a bit "shaky", like it's not being handled by the compositor well. That's not a big deal but I did notice it.

2) The plugins steal focus so that I can't use spacebar to stop/play, much like this issue I noticed with JUCE-based plugins in Reaper for Linux. I find that super annoying. But if it's the only drawback of using Windows VST in Linux, I'm sure I'd learn to live with it if I cared about using Windows VST.

3) One of the plugins loaded in too small a window, cropping the view of the GUI. Once I expanded the window, the GUI of the plugin was still cropped. Closing and reopening the window didn't resolve the issue. I know there's a way to resolve this (I vaguely recall reading something about it), so I know I could fix it. But I guess that's an issue which can come up with some plugins.

It was interesting.

Also I know now that bridging Windows VST in Reaper for Linux natively (Cockos doing this, instead of using Wine and Yabridge/LinVST) is 100% never going to happen. Anyone who is expecting that better smarten up. Wine is around 300 MB, and has its own maintainers. Yabridge and LinVST also need to be maintained/updated. Then there are issues with Windows libraries sometimes, and that GUI thing (among other possible issues which could arise). Not to mention the copy protection and authorization aspects of some VST packages. The scope of supporting this within Reaper itself is way too much hassle for the devs, especially when it's never done in any other OS for other plugins (you don't see Mac users running Windows VST for instance).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-05-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #27
Glennbo

Quote:
Hmm, iirc I was...In my naivety I just assumed it was all pretty much plug and play, well thats how the WINE sits enthused. But it was far from it....I could run the VST installer exe's ok, that worked, but when it came time to use them there was always some windows .DLL missing or some run-time file missing...stuff along those lines
I'll put on the normal James Peters hat since he dropped out of form in the last post.

<JP>

If you are expecting Linux to be Windows, you are going to be disappointed, because it's not. If you want Windows use Windows, if OTOH you hate Windows and will do what it takes to not use it, you will prolly love Linux.

</JP>
Old 04-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #28
JamesPeters

Lol. The thing is, it's easier than I expected to run Windows VST in Linux. Sure there are some "oops...what does that mean?" parts here and there, but it's easy enough to figure out. I didn't expect Wine and such to be 100% "plug and play" (Linux is a different OS, after all), but I didn't expect it to be as easy as it was. Maybe it's because I already have some experience doing things in Linux by now, including building packages from Github and resolving dependency issues.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #29
citizenkeith

I hope you don't mind me asking this question here in this thread... I'm considering building a Linux box for home.

I currently use a Macbook Pro and Mac Pro for my independent work. The other studio where I work has a Windows 10 machine. But as long as I use VST plugins that are installed on all machines (not AU or DX), then I can open a project started on Windows on my Macbook, and vice versa.

But what if I'm using LinVST on Linux? Will those plugins be recognized as native? If I have Valhalla Plate in a project started on Windows or MacOS, will LinVST pull up Valhalla Plate if I have it properly installed on my Linux machine?

Thanks for this discussion... I've always liked Ubuntu Studio, but I'm taking a serious look at Elementary OS now.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
Lol. The thing is, it's easier than I expected to run Windows VST in Linux. Sure there are some "oops...what does that mean?" parts here and there, but it's easy enough to figure out. I didn't expect Wine and such to be 100% "plug and play" (Linux is a different OS, after all), but I didn't expect it to be as easy as it was. Maybe it's because I already have some experience doing things in Linux by now, including building packages from Github and resolving dependency issues.
I really think most people who want to run Windows plugins are using them like I do as the "until I don't have to" crutch.

It totally blows my mind how well Windows VSTi instruments perform in Linux. I would have never expected to jump on my V-Drums and be able to play Superior Drummer 2 live running in WINE and being bridged by LinVST, but it's just as tight as it was running in Windows. I suppose there is some saturation point where there are too many things going through too many hoops, but I've not seen that boundary yet.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #31
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking this question here in this thread...
I DO mind your asking that question here!

I think Glen has started projects in Windows (with Windows VST) and later opened them in Linux with the same Windows VST bridged, and all settings were recalled. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

As for a project on a Mac with Mac VST plugins, being opened on a Windows machine with Windows VST: I think the same thing applies. (Therefore by transitive property, also in Linux if you're bridging those Windows plugins.) I have made projects in Linux with Linux VST, and projects in Windows with Windows VST, and opened them in the other OS to see all the plugins' settings recalled. I think the issue is about how the plugin is identified. If it's a VST 2 plugin, it doesn't seem to matter what OS it was compiled for (in regards to whether Reaper will recall its settings, when opened on another OS with the other OS' native VST plugins).

There's an issue with VST 2 to VST 3 plugins though. Don't expect to save a project using Windows VST 2 plugins, and have their settings recalled if you open it on another system that has VST 3 plugins (even with the same OS).

Anyway Elementary OS won't be just like a Mac. There will be differences in how you do things, where files are stored, and so on. It just looks like Mac OS on the surface. So be ready for that. You can also try a live USB to see if you are comfortable with it (without installing to your hard drive).
Old 04-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #32
JamesPeters

Quote:
I really think most people who want to run Windows plugins are using them like I do as the "until I don't have to" crutch.
I figured I'd try this sooner or later, just out of curiosity. For a moment I thought "maybe I'll download a bunch of Windows VST plugins that I miss, and use them again". That's when I realized I couldn't think of any. I did download some that I used in the past just because I had some reference point of how they worked. I poked around on some VST sites and was really struggling to care about anything which wasn't already available for Linux. I tried a few that I hadn't before, some more "tubey" and "analogy" ones. Meh. I got lots of plugins that do that kind of thing.

JS plugins cover a lot of ground. Even the recent fix for the included 1175 was something I really appreciate (plus another small mod I did so its attack time is possible to be even faster to smash transients even more lol).

I also learned that drum kit I made for DrumGizmo is in fact my favorite sample-based drum kit. I want to do some updates to it, but otherwise it's great. I also really prefer working with Reaper's mixer (using separate outputs from DrumGizmo) instead of any other drum plugin's "internal" mixer.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #33
Glennbo

Quote:
I DO mind your asking that question here!

I think Glen has started projects in Windows (with Windows VST) and later opened them in Linux with the same Windows VST bridged, and all settings were recalled. He can correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. I can open REAPER projects that were done in Windows, and REAPER is totally happy with the bridged with LinVST and running in WINE version. No errors are thrown and the old projects load up and play as expected.

Quote:
As for a project on a Mac with Mac VST plugins, being opened on a Windows machine with Windows VST: I think the same thing applies. (Therefore by transitive property, also in Linux if you're bridging those Windows plugins.) I have made projects in Linux with Linux VST, and projects in Windows with Windows VST, and opened them in the other OS to see all the plugins' settings recalled. I think the issue is about how the plugin is identified. If it's a VST 2 plugin, it doesn't seem to matter what OS it was compiled for (in regards to whether Reaper will recall its settings, when opened on another OS with the other OS' native VST plugins).
Plugins have an ID of sorts and if the ID matches, REAPER will see the plugin as the ID being called no matter how it's happening.

Quote:
There's an issue with VST 2 to VST 3 plugins though. Don't expect to save a project using Windows VST 2 plugins, and have their settings recalled if you open it on another system that has VST 3 plugins (even with the same OS).
VST2 and VST3 have different internal IDs for the same plugin from the same manufacturer, so that would be true even if all done in Windows.

Quote:
Anyway Elementary OS won't be just like a Mac. There will be differences in how you do things, where files are stored, and so on. It just looks like Mac OS on the surface. So be ready for that. You can also try a live USB to see if you are comfortable with it (without installing to your hard drive).
I've found you can test quite a lot out with a bootable flash. Like seeing that FS-UAE is indeed available in Manjaro now, just in case I decide on a whim to put a 1TB Gen4 M.2 in my machine.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #34
citizenkeith

Quote:

Quote:
You are correct. I can open REAPER projects that were done in Windows, and REAPER is totally happy with the bridged with LinVST and running in WINE version. No errors are thrown and the old projects load up and play as expected.

Mind blown. Pricing out a home machine now lol
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #35
JamesPeters

It's pretty cool.

I plan to make a new Reaper track template for that DrumGizmo drum kit I was talking about (in my signature), and as long as I use JS plugins or Linux VST which also exist as Mac VST and Windows VST, anyone using Reaper can load the track template with the plugins and settings I used for the drum mix.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #36
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Mind blown. Pricing out a home machine now lol
Just keep in mind, the more invasive the copy protection, the lower the chance of getting it to run in Linux. Superior Drummer 2 was nothing to install. Kontakt I had to jump through a hoop or two, but PACE/iLok stuff I did not even attempt as I am psychic and already knew the result.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #37
pax-eterna

so are you guys saying WINE does work? As touted on their website?

I tried that route too (seeing an error message and then following steps to get the offending missing bit) but it still didn't work. It wold then say other things were broken among other messages ("paraphrased")

And to the notion I am expecting Linux to be like windows, well, duh! no! I get annoyed when software creators (in this case WINE) profess, or indicate with "spin" that it's all just so easy, and it plainly isn't.

I only really need three non-native plugs to work Sampletank, Addictive Drums 2 and Pianoteq. Now Piantoeq have a Linux version so that's one down. But the other two??

I will still crack open Manjaro and have a third attempt (at Linux, as yes I really detest Windows), who knows maybe it'll be the distro that will work for me
Old 04-06-2021, 08:50 AM   #38
michael diemer

Quote:
Just keep in mind, the more invasive the copy protection, the lower the chance of getting it to run in Linux. Superior Drummer 2 was nothing to install. Kontakt I had to jump through a hoop or two, but PACE/iLok stuff I did not even attempt as I am psychic and already knew the result.
Supposedly you can now convert ilok and elicenser to dongle-less licenses. At least, I think you now have the option of either when you set them up (Who in their right mind would opt for the dongle?). So maybe you can switch them after the fact? worth looking into, which at some point I'll do. today I'll be installing Manjaro. So a lot to do before I start worrying about things like dongles.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #39
JamesPeters

Quote:
so are you guys saying WINE does work? As touted on their website?
Well it works, but I don't know about any claims. I didn't read the site and will remain purposely ignorant of it.

I tried AD2 briefly and got it working, however only as a trial, so I don't know if you'll have problems registering it. As Glen said, when registering/file protection is involved, you might need to do some homework and/or workarounds.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Supposedly you can now convert ilok and elicenser to dongle-less licenses. At least, I think you now have the option of either when you set them up (Who in their right mind would opt for the dongle?). So maybe you can switch them after the fact? worth looking into, which at some point I'll do. today I'll be installing Manjaro. So a lot to do before I start worrying about things like dongles.
Some folks have gotten dongle-less Pace protected plugins to work, but it seems flaky at best. The only iLok plug I had with a dongle was Lexicon's Native MPX Reverb, and I just left it behind.

Pace/iLoc has tentacles that hook into the OS at a low level. That's just asking for trouble in opinion. I've replaced all my Windows audio plugins with native Linux ones, but I still use some Windows instrument plugins. These all work fine on my system.

Kontakt 5
Guitar Rig
Superior Drummer 2
EZ-Drummer
EZ-Keys
Arturia Minimoog V
Emu Proteus VX
NI B4 Organ
NI FM7