Human being with feelings

Default Anyone try SSL UF8 with Reaper?

Anybody test it out ?
drockfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:07 AM   #2
theRog

If you're using the standard MCU protocol of Reaper:
Faders, Sel, Cut, Solo, Pan, Navigation, Zoom, Automation works great.
You can also put any commands on the soft keys and quick keys you want...

Unfortunately Sends and Plugin control doesn't (due to Reapers weak integration of the MCU protocol)

If you need Sends (just like me) or even plugin control you will need to dive into the CSI universe - steep learning curve but worth it and plenty of information on this very forum ;-)

Cheerio,
Roger
theRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRog View Post
If you're using the standard MCU protocol of Reaper:
Faders, Sel, Cut, Solo, Pan, Navigation, Zoom, Automation works great.
You can also put any commands on the soft keys and quick keys you want...

Unfortunately Sends and Plugin control doesn't (due to Reapers weak integration of the MCU protocol)

If you need Sends (just like me) or even plugin control you will need to dive into the CSI universe - steep learning curve but worth it and plenty of information on this very forum ;-)

Cheerio,
Roger
Thank you - when you say CSI universe would that be with the UF8 as well or would you need another controller for it?
Would plug-in control work with Klinke?
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixR View Post
Thank you - when you say CSI universe would that be with the UF8 as well or would you need another controller for it?
Would plug-in control work with Klinke?
The UF8 can work in MCU mode, which would work very well out of the box with CSI and the stock MCU templates. Then you'd just have to create maps for any plugins. There's a bit of a learning curve, but nothing too complicated for most tasks.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
The UF8 can work in MCU mode, which would work very well out of the box with CSI and the stock MCU templates. Then you'd just have to create maps for any plugins. There's a bit of a learning curve, but nothing too complicated for most tasks.
I just bought one and will need to learn how to do this asap as there seem to be a fair amount of omissions/shortcomings from both, MCU, and its implementation in Reaper. On top of that I have very little time as I have a backlog of projects and am in the middle of switching from Pro Tools to Reaper.

I am aware of CSI but have not had a chance to look into it. Does CSI translate MCU into something Reaper understands natively (presumably OSC)?
Do you have any specific pointers as far as getting started you'd be willing to share? I realise there is a thread with about 300 pages and their Github page looks a bit daunting. I don't mind putting in the effort and learning stuff but I am just not sure about where to start as there seem to be many different projects which look like they are attempting to do the same/similar things on Reaper (Klinke, MCU, ReaLearn). Can't see the wood for the trees at the moment...
Old 05-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #6
Funkybot

Quote:
I just bought one and will need to learn how to do this asap as there seem to be a fair amount of omissions/shortcomings from both, MCU, and its implementation in Reaper. On top of that I have very little time as I have a backlog of projects and am in the middle of switching from Pro Tools to Reaper.

I am aware of CSI but have not had a chance to look into it. Does CSI translate MCU into something Reaper understands natively (presumably OSC)?
Do you have any specific pointers as far as getting started you'd be willing to share? I realise there is a thread with about 300 pages and their Github page looks a bit daunting. I don't mind putting in the effort and learning stuff but I am just not sure about where to start as there seem to be many different projects which look like they are attempting to do the same/similar things on Reaper (Klinke, MCU, ReaLearn). Can't see the wood for the trees at the moment...
My advice:

1. Check the CSI wiki for installation and initial setup instructions.

https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...ntegrator/wiki

2. Start out by trying the vanilla MCU.zon and MCU.mst files...they work with most surfaces right out of the box. If the surface is "MCU," no need to reinvent the wheel. Just start with the MCU files.

3. Once you find a button that is unassigned, or you want to do something else, a quick open of the existing mcu.zon file in a text editor should get you up to speed really quickly. Reference the CSI wiki for native CSI actions, and you can use any Reaper actions as well.

...that should get most surfaces setup quickly.

4. Plugin control is going to require more mapping. Not many folks have shared plugin mapping files. See the wiki section on fx.zon's on how to roll your own. There was a video posted today in the main CSI thread by Undark on how to do it as well.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
MixR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
My advice:

1. Check the CSI wiki for installation and initial setup instructions.

https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...ntegrator/wiki

2. Start out by trying the vanilla MCU.zon and MCU.mst files...they work with most surfaces right out of the box. If the surface is "MCU," no need to reinvent the wheel. Just start with the MCU files.

3. Once you find a button that is unassigned, or you want to do something else, a quick open of the existing mcu.zon file in a text editor should get you up to speed really quickly. Reference the CSI wiki for native CSI actions, and you can use any Reaper actions as well.

...that should get most surfaces setup quickly.

4. Plugin control is going to require more mapping. Not many folks have shared plugin mapping files. See the wiki section on fx.zon's on how to roll your own. There was a video posted today in the main CSI thread by Undark on how to do it as well.
Brilliant, thank you! Since posting the above reply I have installed CSI as per the Wiki and am working my way through it. The UF8 presents itself as as MCU/LogicControl but unfortunately the automation modes do not work. They work in the vanilla Reaper MCU implementation which is weird. I will try to dig into the .mst file and see what's going on.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Funkybot

Quote:
Brilliant, thank you! Since posting the above reply I have installed CSI as per the Wiki and am working my way through it. The UF8 presents itself as as MCU/LogicControl but unfortunately the automation modes do not work. They work in the vanilla Reaper MCU implementation which is weird. I will try to dig into the .mst file and see what's going on.
The automation modes are likely in the .zon file not the .mst. The .mst file controls what controls CSI sees (faders, encoders, buttons). CSI calls each hardware control a "widget" once it's in the .mst file. The .zon file dictates what those hardware controls (widgets) do.

See the TrackAutoMode page of the Wiki for help with setting up the .zon for automation. Those actions require a navigator. So if you expect to select a channel on the surface then click the Read button to go into Read mode, you'd use a SelectedTrackNavigator as shown in that example. The .zon may not have those setup correctly (will check it out later today).

https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/.../TrackAutoMode