Old 04-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
metal_priest
Human being with feelings

Default detect WHERE an overclip happens?

Hi guys,
is there a way to make reaper both detect and mark on the timeline where a peak is 0 db?

I made a multitrack recording of 2 pianos and 6 opera singers without having the time to calibrate the gains (you know, like 20minutes to set all up and no rehearsal...), so I had made the levels by my experience...it was all very good but in a couple of passages (on a 96 minutes long piece) a couple of mics has been softly clipped because of a very powerful tenore.
I know what tracks are clipped but now I'm in trouble to find WHERE in these 96minutes they clipped to fix them with a declipper...

thanks in advance!
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:26 AM   #2
Stella645

This?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170013
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:36 AM   #3
metal_priest

thank you Stella, I already tried that one but it looks to work only for what is actually over the 0.
It works perfectly for mixing purpouse but here i need to find where the peaks are at 0db because they're clipped (so no values over the 0).

I'm wondering if this script can work in real time during the recording, this might be helpful to prevent this situation...but still, I doen't do the trick for me right now
Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 AM   #4
Stella645

Not strictly within Reaper but you could set Audacity as external editor and I believe it has a find peaks function that would do it.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_priest View Post
It works perfectly for mixing purpouse but here i need to find where the peaks are at 0db because they're clipped (so no values over the 0).
So turn your thing up like 0.1db?

Quote:
I'm wondering if this script can work in real time during the recording, this might be helpful to prevent this situation...but still, I doen't do the trick for me right now
Reaper won't ever see anything greater than 0dbfs coming in from your converter. Again, you might be able to trick the script by adding gain inside Reaper, but it's still going to be clipped at the converter and there's nothing you can do inside Reaper to help that.

Let it be a lesson to always be extremely conservative with your gain settings, and even moreso when you don't get a good chance to test them out. Like, the less time you get to set up, the lower you set the gain. If I actually don't know what's going to happen, I'll just turn them all the way down and go. It's still usually better noise specs than tape, and a steady noise floor is usually less offensive and easier to deal with than gross converter clipping.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
metal_priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Not strictly within Reaper but you could set Audacity as external editor and I believe it has a find peaks function that would do it.
yes, this is what i need...not in reaper but i can set a secondary external editor just for this..thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Have you tried Reaper's Transient detection? With high enough threshold...???
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
metal_priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
So turn your thing up like 0.1db?

Reaper won't ever see anything greater than 0dbfs coming in from your converter. Again, you might be able to trick the script by adding gain inside Reaper, but it's still going to be clipped at the converter and there's nothing you can do inside Reaper to help that.

Let it be a lesson to always be extremely conservative with your gain settings, and even moreso when you don't get a good chance to test them out. Like, the less time you get to set up, the lower you set the gain. If I actually don't know what's going to happen, I'll just turn them all the way down and go. It's still usually better noise specs than tape, and a steady noise floor is usually less offensive and easier to deal with than gross converter clipping.
actually the gains were almost perfect, the average peaks are perfectly modulating around -15db which is good...I know more or less what kind of gains I need because i know that venue and the kind of music there were playing...in fact there are only 2 overs in just 2 of the 13 microphones i had that time..and they clipped just for 3 or 4 samples so actually it isn't even noticeable (I know this because of audacity ) and just because that singer has this couple of spots were he was slight higher.

But still, it would be usefull to have this feature in reaper
Old 04-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
metal_priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Have you tried Reaper's Transient detection? With high enough threshold...???
oh, i didn't think about this..i will try thanks