Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #41
richie43
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
I hear ya.....I was not saying that any sim, even the best, can beat a real amp. I would rather use some good mics on a real cab any day. Sims have come a long way and a few sound pretty good to me, but I will always use a real amp for my tracking. But a "good feeling" sim, like S-Gear, has proven invaluable for me when I want to capture a part NOW and reamp it later. A really crappy sim is not inspiring to play through, so the tracking does not come out inspired. Now I can feel good playing and not mess with mics until I can do so objectively as the "engineer", not as the guitarist.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #42
richie43

Quote:
It sounds nothing like a tweed amp.
I bet that if I (or anyone else) did some careful tracking of some S-Gear Tweed and some real amp tones you could not guess better than 50% of which is which....interested? To be fair, I don't own a Tweed presently, but I do own a few very nice and "boutique-y" amps for tracking. I could not do this right away, but I'd be happy to do it if you are up for the challenge....(all in fun and for info sake, no malice or ill intent intended).
Old 01-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #43
SmajjL

The songs in the 57 sim demo was universally delicious, forgot this topic during.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Quote:
I hear nothing that couldn't be achieved with Custom '57 in S-Gear, really. S-Gear has got the character of it right down pat, plus they made it more flexible than the real-life '57.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #45
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I bet that if I (or anyone else) did some careful tracking of some S-Gear Tweed and some real amp tones you could not guess better than 50% of which is which....interested? To be fair, I don't own a Tweed presently, but I do own a few very nice and "boutique-y" amps for tracking. I could not do this right away, but I'd be happy to do it if you are up for the challenge....(all in fun and for info sake, no malice or ill intent intended).
Sure. I want to hear it sound like a tweed amp, not a crate through a multi-fx processor.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #46
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Do you play guitar? An amp-sim can "feel" good if the sound coming from the monitors or headphones is reactive, sensitive to the players touch, and inspiring to play. I do know what you mean about the plasticy sound of sims, but as a long-time guitarist and owner of many amps, S-Gear does indeed "feel" more "ampy" to me than any other sim I have used.
The feel of an amp (not all amps have a feel) has to do with how the speakers interact with the power section. Sims don't do it. Hell, most amps don't do it.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #47
EvilDragon

Quote:
The feel of an amp (not all amps have a feel) has to do with how the speakers interact with the power section. Sims don't do it.
Recabinet/Thermionik DOES do an emulation of it via its Dynamics knob.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #48
rcl

Quote:
The feel of an amp (not all amps have a feel) has to do with how the speakers interact with the power section. Sims don't do it. Hell, most amps don't do it.
I think that its probably every facet envoled..pickup, input stage, tone stack, power amp/xfmr and speaker. And your right some amps dont have a feel. I dont own S gear but demoed it twice. As a player i liked the way it reacted to what i was playing which inturn affected the way i played.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #49
richie43

Quote:
Sure. I want to hear it sound like a tweed amp, not a crate through a multi-fx processor.
I don't own a Crate or a multi-fx processor, so no worries.

Crate does make a nice fake Fender amp though.....
Old 01-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #50
richie43

Quote:
Subjective opinion, of course. To each their own, as always.

And yes, Go Bernie.....
Old 01-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #51
brainwreck

You fellas done got bamboozled, snookered, taken for a magic carpet ride into a dsp marshmallow land.

Go Bernie!
Old 01-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #52
richie43

Quote:
You fellas done got bamboozled, snookered, taken for a magic carpet ride into a marshmallow land.
Useful tools are useful tools. You not liking them doesn't make the tools any less useful for someone else and doesn't make anyone bamboozled. Jeez..... Just don't use them if you don't like them and ease up on the self-righteous judgement. And have a great day.

And go Bernie.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #53
EvilDragon

Quote:
You fellas done got bamboozled, snookered, taken for a magic carpet ride into a dsp marshmallow land.
No, not really. What we did was manage to get 99% of the way there to have a real amp sound ITB without having to haul dozens of kg of hardware around, deal with tubes that can break easily and are expensive to swap (and you GOTTA do it periodically to keep the amp sounding at its best), all that nasty shit that's a huge money sink. I personally like it more ITB - and the difference is so negligent that just about anyone I show them to can't believe it's not a real amp. And I didn't even need to waste hours dealing with finding the sweet spots for mic placement and all that shit. Works for me, works for them, win-win.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #54
SmajjL

EvilDragon for president! :P :P

Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #55
ProfRhino

Quote:
So this is your experience with / knowledge of tweed tone ?
The Stones mostly used Ampegs and BF/SF Twins around that time.
Won't comment on those YT heroes other than amps sounding that shitty wouldn't have made it into the 60s ...
Hotel California era Eagles is tweed and BF Fenders all over, early ZZ Top, Dan era Larry Carlton, a million other great tracks not sounding like lo-fi trash by any stretch of the imagination.
Of course there are lots of undead old relics floating around, in bad shape, poorly serviced, badly recorded - can't blame the entire family for that.
All that said, I'm not a Fender guy myself except for clean BF tones, but I can appreciate what others do with them.
To my ears S-Gear's 57 sim and likewise their official clips (great playing btw) are right in the ballpark ...

And re the original topic, guitars / amps are not rompler preset machines, a lot is in the player's touch, and also in the entire chain from pick to mic preamp and mix processing.
Forget the "all you can eat" model insanity, forget YT, pick a single amp model that sounds / feels good to you and stick with that, exclusively, for a few months, really learn what it can do, get familiar and comfortable with it. A real amp requires the same learning curve, big time, not even beginning to talk about recording.
Personally, I would go with S-Gear as the models are spot on imho, great guitar-centric FX, and overall its features are expertly picked for real world useability, not for five-page-model-namedropping like many others.
No HiGain recommendations from me, but I heard some pretty good stuff done with freeware here, as well as obviously Recabinet.

ymmv,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #56
karbomusic

Quote:
all that nasty shit that's a huge money sink.
I was with you till ^this part. I've spent less that 200 bucks on tubes and amp maintenance in the last 20 years and all my tube amps (5 of them) are in pristine condition.

Moving on... A number of things simply can't be achieved via SIM - for example much of a fuzz face's wonderfulness is due to the interaction of the actual impedance of the guitar plugged into it making the guitar knob able to invoke massive tonal changes that a SIM (which can't see any of that) can't react to. That's a big deal for a fuzz IMHO.

That's just a quick example but at the end of the day use what fits one's needs instead of justifying one over the other. There are plenty of tones I can record just fine with a SIM and get exactly what I want, and there are just as many where that ain't going to happen without an amp just like a condenser mic SIM can't actually do what a condenser mic does.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-23-2016 at 09:15 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #57
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRhino View Post
So this is your experience with / knowledge of tweed tone ?
The Stones mostly used Ampegs and BF/SF Twins around that time.
Won't comment on those YT heroes other than amps sounding that shitty wouldn't have made it into the 60s ...
Hotel California era Eagles is tweed and BF Fenders all over, early ZZ Top, Dan era Larry Carlton, a million other great tracks not sounding like lo-fi trash by any stretch of the imagination.
Of course there are lots of undead old relics floating around, in bad shape, poorly serviced, badly recorded - can't blame the entire family for that.
All that said, I'm not a Fender guy myself except for clean BF tones, but I can appreciate what others do with them.
To my ears S-Gear's 57 sim and likewise their official clips (great playing btw) are right in the ballpark ...

And re the original topic, guitars / amps are not rompler preset machines, a lot is in the player's touch, and also in the entire chain from pick to mic preamp and mix processing.
Forget the "all you can eat" model insanity, forget YT, pick a single amp model that sounds / feels good to you and stick with that, exclusively, for a few months, really learn what it can do, get familiar and comfortable with it. A real amp requires the same learning curve, big time, not even beginning to talk about recording.
Personally, I would go with S-Gear as the models are spot on imho, great guitar-centric FX, and overall its features are expertly picked for real world useability, not for five-page-model-namedropping like many others.
No HiGain recommendations from me, but I heard some pretty good stuff done with freeware here, as well as obviously Recabinet.

ymmv,
Rhino
If you don't hear a tweed amp in that stones tune, you don't have any business talking about tweed amps. That is what one sounds like. And no, s-gear ain't even in the parking lot. And it isn't as if sims can't somewhat do that type of sound. They can get in the neighborhood. But I have yet to hear s-gear do it, and I demoed it. Here is a hint: tweed amps don't sound smooth; they sound ragged, the low end isn't tight and defined, and they get really bright. Edit: Here you go. Podfarm 'getting in the neighborhood' https://app.box.com/s/8v1kra2n4e9cutzki1nmcz9zrhl4g1kb

Look, I think it's cool that people are making plugins like this. I use some of them. But quit it with the hype bs, please.

Last edited by brainwreck; 01-23-2016 at 09:35 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #58
SmajjL

Maby easyer to just push for the best/coolest sound one like and can get out of it instead of focusing on 'real' and copycat and stuff, settle for inspired.
Adding an exciter is not uncommon at my place and no, I am not a guitar player.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #59
sostenuto

One 30-yr+ pro performer said (in the day) he often used two outputs, one dry on stage l/r, and one FX on stage r/l. Is/was this common, and can it help improve amp sim results?

Probably tough for me to hear on monitors, but maybe headphones?
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #60
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Maby easyer to just push for the best/coolest sound one like and can get out of it instead of focusing on 'real' and copycat and stuff, settle for inspired.
Adding an exciter is not uncommon at my place and no, I am not a guitar player.
At then end of the day, many recording guitarists over the decades didn't really care, they were just trying to record something that worked; often with little regard to how that was accomplished which is the same today (or should be) for anyone but arm-folding elitists which isn't directed at anyone at all but an important difference between talking and the actual art of recording.

^That does NOT mean a SIM or amp will work in every situation, the entire point is to wean one's self off of *what* they are using and instead focusing on the thing that works no matter what that is. It's sad that we have hyper focused ourselves to such an extent that we lose sight of the original goal.

The guitarist who walks into the studio willing to try anything and everything is a musician, the one who walks in with his fav amp/guitar and refuses to use anything else, is just a guitar player.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-23-2016 at 10:27 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #61
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The guitarist who walks into the studio willing to try anything and everything is a musician, the one who walks in with his fav amp/guitar and refuses to use anything else, is just a guitar player.
Hey Karb.

I agree so much so I must quote!
And impress girls is veeeeery important for tatoo'ed guitarists and the quicker the better. :P

Old 01-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #62
ProfRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
One 30-yr+ pro performer said (in the day) he often used two outputs, one dry on stage l/r, and one FX on stage r/l. Is/was this common, and can it help improve amp sim results?
Yes, not uncommon for folks with roadies / bigger budgets.
Eric Johnson, Lukather, U2, these guys.
Brian May built his signature sound on a very geeky version of that same concept too ...

When using delay, chorus, reverb, you're technically generating additional notes. This will quickly turn into mud if the FX are in front of an overdriven amp, a bit less so if they are in an FX loop (but opening up a different can of worms, and not available on many of the better amps).
Arguably the best solution :
guitar > gain pedals > main (dry) amp > main (dry) cab
a parallel signal grabbed from that amp's speaker out gets attenuated, sent to the time based FX and gets cleanly amped (clean power amp, Jazz Chorus, Twin or similar) and sent to its dedicated cab(s).
So you get the punch of the dry amp combined with clear FX ...

Easy to emulate ITB, just use a send after the ampsim / before the cab sim to feed the FX bus(es), don't forget to put a cab sim after the FX, too.
Or, almost as good, just use stereo FX plugins after the cab sim, in many cases this will produce a very similar result.

In general, recreating authentic tones of certain songs ITB requires a lot of research from reliable sources, the artists themselves or techs that were actually there during the recording.
There's always been lots of experimenting in the studio ...
E.g. layering, to mention an obvious example.
Then use these concepts as a starting point for your own experiments, and feel free to leave that path any time you find something that suits you better.

ymmv,
Rhino
Old 01-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #63
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
Which driver version is that?
at the time it was the latest one... about a year ago. I'm not using it anymore so I can't verify exactly which driver version.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #64
sostenuto

@ ProfRhino .... very COOL Reply !!! Much appreciated.

Sorta pissed at Mods moving this Thread !!! It's informative and relevant, not close to as argumentative as lotsa other crud left where it was

Thanks again !
Old 01-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #65
thequietroom

I do think its funny how excited any thread about ampsims get.. many strong opinions out there.

for me.. I'm with ED on the convenience.. but that's just me any my situation. others need something else.

tone and even play feel are very subjective topics.

amp or ampsim, at the end of the day it's still up to the player to make it sound good.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #66
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
I got down to 64 samples at 44.1 on my fast track pro but It still felt really awkward to play.
I got the same sensation with several of the highly touted sims I demo'd I came the the conclusion I would need a new expensive interface to get what I wanted latency wise. So I got an axefx and couldn't be happier (other than the scary credit card statement i get now)
bold highlighting mine

Let me straighten out this bit about latency that I often see rear its ugly head, especially in guitar amp sim threads.

At 44.1 kHz there are 44.1 samples per MILLISECOND. Period. Now, you say you had your system down to 64 samples but still had issues playing?! NO, if you had troubles it was something else.

64 samples at your set rate results in LESS THAN 2 MS of latency. No human being on this planet can hear much under 7 seconds of latency. Nobody. Period. No exceptions. You simply cannot hear 2 ms of latency. Nope.

Further, how far do you guitarists stand from your speaker cabs when you perform live or practice with your bands or mates?

I hope you are aware that at room temperature that sound travels very close to ONE FOOT PER MILLISECOND. So, you have ONE MS of latency from your real amp for every foot you stand away from your cab(s).

See where I'm going with this? I don't know any professional guitarists (including self) who sit on their amp cabs or kiss them or rub their butts up against them. No, nowhere near that! Most of us perform, stand, play a good 6 to 10 feet (or much, much farther!) out in front of our cabs. For the sorry types who can't survive without their guitars being run through the floor monitors, there is still usually a good 5 to 8 feet from ear to monitor.

So, you perform with anywhere from 6 to 10 (or more) milliseconds of latency, but you can't handle less than 2 ms (64 samples @ 44.1 isn't even 2 ms!) when you run through a sim? Something very wrong about this, although I have read this magical thinking in a thread or two before.

I suggest all guitarists 'do the math' before they make completely off comments about latency or their supposed needs. More than that, I suggest if you are anywhere from 7 to 12 ms with your DAW and sim it is nothing to get up about. It is certainly no excuse to run out and buy an AXE FX, although probably will fool the wife or GF about your spending. It just won't fool any recording engineers.

BTW, I think the overwhelming majority of amp sims sound just great these days. I have or have played most. Even the freeware versions from Ignite and Poulin can be made to sound totally pro (assuming decent cab and IR), so don't nobody sweat it. If you can't get a great sound, you are likely doing something else wrong, whether it is your playing ability or lack of good DSP/DAW set up. Good luck!

Last edited by The Telenator; 01-23-2016 at 11:25 AM.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #67
ProfRhino

Quote:
If you don't hear a tweed amp in that stones tune, you don't have any business talking about tweed amps. That is what one sounds like.
Priceless logic ...
Unfortunately not supported by reality.

Quote:
Here is a hint: tweed amps don't sound smooth; they sound ragged, the low end isn't tight and defined, and they get really bright.
Tell that to the Eagles, Carlton, Gibbons and all those other hacks that accidentally made tweeds sound good in their ignorance - they'll hang their heads in shame.

Quote:
Podfarm 'getting in the neighborhood' https://app.box.com/s/8v1kra2n4e9cutzki1nmcz9zrhl4g1kb
Ok, now I'm convinced - can't argue with Podfarm.

All that said, tweeds can easily sound ratty in inexperienced hands (or stoned Young ones ), like all amps, but it's part of the player's/engineer's job to feature the desirable characteristics and hide/avoid the trash.
I've owned a handful of tweeds over the years (vintage 5f6 & 5e3, clones by 3rd party builders), none of them stayed longer than a year, for various reasons. In the rare case that I need that typical midrange honk I use S-Gear or a pedal into a Maz, both will get there close enough.

ymmv,
Rhino
Old 01-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #68
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
bold highlighting mine

Let me straighten out this bit about latency that I often see rear its ugly head especially in guitar amp sim threads.

At 44.1 kHz there are 44.1 samples per MILLISECOND. Period. Now, you say you had your system down to 64 samples but still had issues playing?! NO, if you had troubles it was something else.

64 samples at your set rate results in LESS THAN 2 MS of latency. No human being on this planet can hear much under 7 seconds of latency. Nobody. Period. No exceptions. You simply cannot hear 2 ms of latency. Nope.

Further, how far do you guitarists stand from your speaker cabs when you perform live or practice with your bands or mates?

I hope you are aware that at room temperature that sound travels very close to ONE FOOT PER MILLISECOND. So, you have an MS of latency from your real amp for every foot you stand away from your cab(s).

See where I'm going with this? I down know any professional guitarists (including self) who sit on their amp cabs or kiss them or rub their butts up against them. No, nowhere near that! Most of us perform, stand, play a good 6 to 10 feet out in front of our cabs. For the sorry types who can't survive without their guitars being run through the floor monitors, there is still usually a good 5 to 8 feet from ear to monitor.

So, you perform with anywhere from 6 to 10 (or more) milliseconds of latency, but you can't handle less than 2 ms (64 samples @ 44.1 isn't even 2 ms!) when you run through a sim? Something very wrong about this, although I have read this magical thinking in a thread or two before.

I suggest all guitarists 'do the math' before they make completely off comments about latency or their supposed needs. More than that, I suggest if you are anywhere from 7 to 12 ms with your DAW and sim it is nothing to get up about. It is certainly no excuse to run out and buy an AXE FX, although probably will fool the wife or GF about your spending. It just won't fool any recording engineers.

BTW, I think the overwhelming majority of amp sims sound just great these days. I have or have played most. Even the freeware versions from Ignite and Poulin can be made to sound totally pro (assuming decent cab and IR), so don't nobody sweat it. If you can't get a great sound, you are likely doing something else wrong, whether it is your playing ability or lack of good DSP/DAW set up. Good luck!
I had many reasons for buying the axefx, including not wanting anymore latency headaches.. I do not regret it

the math may say 2ms... but it was not. hell reaper as reporting something like 11..
I spent plenty of time researching optimizing..etc. trying things suggested in this and other forums.. the audio device plays a part in the latency aside from the driver settings.
the results with the fast track pro were not acceptable for me.

have a read here..

https://www.presonus.com/community/L...-Audio-Latency

my comment isn't "off" I could physicly hear my pick click on the string and most definitely heard the note through the speaker delayed..

I tried every conceivable setting on 2 different computers..

then I read stuff like this from presonus and realized there is more to it than just the driver settings. since you are so inclined to lecture everyone on latency, it might be a good idea to arm yourself with some more information than just your arithmetic lesson.

Last edited by thequietroom; 01-23-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #69
ProfRhino

Quote:
@ ProfRhino .... very COOL Reply !!! Much appreciated.

Sorta pissed at Mods moving this Thread !!! It's informative and relevant, not close to as argumentative as lotsa other crud left where it was

Thanks again !
thanks, you're welcome !
Rhino
Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #70
karbomusic

Quote:
the math may say 2ms... but it was not. hell reaper as reporting something like 11..
Many tend to confuse the fact that we can't hear 'two separate notes' below 10ms or so with how it feels. Both are quite real and easy to understand if we frame it correctly...

It's the difference between being behind the beat and a flam. If one has any understanding of playing on/in front/behind the beat they will also understand how sub 10ms delays aren't heard but felt because they are exactly the same thing. Distance from speakers is often misquoted because the DAW latency is in *addition* to every other latency in the chain. I agree though that if someone had an actual 2ms it would likely be irrelevant with no other latency in the chain.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #71
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
I had many reasons for buying the axefx, including not wanting anymore latency headaches.. I do not regret it

I spent plenty of time researching optimizing..etc. trying things suggested in this and other forums.. the audio device plays a part in the latency aside from the driver settings.
the results with the fast track pro were not acceptable for me.

have a read here..

https://www.presonus.com/community/L...-Audio-Latency

I have no experience with 'Fast Track Pro' but some DAWs and setups do not report latency correctly. And of course round-trip must always be taken into account. If your true latency was 11 ms total, you were at the extreme high end of what I call 'comfortable' for recording. This would equal 11 feet roughly in front of an amp live, distance which is usually a lot easier to take, being a live situation. Even so, most players can accustom themselves to latencies up to almost 18 ms roundtrip for ITB playing -- the ears/brain gets used to it. Beyond that, the sound quickly becomes very chorus-y. In my entire life, I've only met 2 or 3 engineers who can actually detect 7 to 8 ms of latency. They are few and far but do exist.

My main point, though, was to un-worry those guitarists who are living with a bit higher latencies than state of the art. I remember one chap writing in and claiming he could not survive with anything over 1.5 ms latency 'cause he played such blazing fast metal, etc., etc. Total BULL, of course. When he later told us he's some 10 feet or more, running the stage, out front of his amps at gigs, we knew we had him!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #72
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Many tend to confuse the fact that we can't hear 'two separate notes' below 10ms or so with how it feels. Both are quite real and easy to understand if we frame it correctly...

It's the difference between being behind the beat and a flam. If one has any understanding of playing on/in front/behind the beat they will also understand how sub 10ms delays aren't heard but felt because they are exactly the same thing. Distance from speakers is often misquoted because the DAW latency is in *addition* to every other latency in the chain. I agree though that if someone had an actual 2ms it would likely be irrelevant with no other latency in the chain.
I agree the buffer settings result in a calculable latency between something and something else.. it just isn't between my pick and my ear.. and that's all I care about
Old 01-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #73
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
I have no experience with 'Fast Track Pro' but some DAWs and setups do not report latency correctly. And of course round-trip must always be taken into account. If your true latency was 11 ms total, you were at the extreme high end of what I call 'comfortable' for recording. This would equal 11 feet roughly in front of an amp live, distance which is usually a lot easier to take, being a live situation. Even so, most players can accustom themselves to latencies up to almost 18 ms roundtrip for ITB playing -- the ears/brain gets used to it. Beyond that, the sound quickly becomes very chorus-y. In my entire life, I've only met 2 or 3 engineers who can actually detect 7 to 8 ms of latency. They are few and far but do exist.

My main point, though, was to un-worry those guitarists who are living with a bit higher latencies than state of the art. I remember one chap writing in and claiming he could not survive with anything over 1.5 ms latency 'cause he played such blazing fast metal, etc., etc. Total BULL, of course. When he later told us he's some 10 feet or more, running the stage, out front of his amps at gigs, we knew we had him!
fair enough.. I apologize for getting pissy

Ive heard statements like that as well..
Old 01-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #74
karbomusic

Consider and/or try the following...

Play a guitar riff and align it with the snare you hear coming out of the speaker. There are two ways to do that...

1. Play the guitar note and make the next timing decision based on the alignment of hearing the guitar coming out of the speaker while comparing that to the snare coming out of that speaker.

2. Play the guitar note and make the next timing decision based on the alignment of the vibration in your wrist and the sound of the snare coming out of the speaker while ignoring the guitar 'sound' coming out of that speaker.

The latter is far more accurate and takes certain latencies out of the picture entirely (live or recording). Whether one uses #1 or #2 also affects how they should set compensation up in reaper.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #75
thequietroom

the fast track pro is an old interface..its likely the hidden latency has improved in newer interfaces but I would suggest researching the audio device before diving in
Old 01-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #76
Daniovan

Quote:
It's a sim! It has no speaker reactance. I think someone started a hype train, and lots of people got on board.
S-gear is a plugin I can not fall in love with, as well, though it´s pretty nice...
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #77
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
fair enough.. I apologize for getting pissy

Ive heard statements like that as well..
Oh, OK, I thought I was the pissy one.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #78
Daniovan

Quote:
Sounds like only thru Sunday Jan 24?
-------------

http://store.two-notes.com/index.php

Can you disable amps of Wall of street and use cab only ?
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #79
sostenuto

1) Just under word 'Sound' (upper left) is On/Off Power Amp Button

2) You can PREVIEW ALL Cabs using 'La Boutique Button just above 'Output' on right side panel.

Hope you checkit out so I can (selfishly) get your impressions vs alternatives
Old 01-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #80
brainwreck

S-gear guys, here is my best fake tweed sound, using an unnamed amp sim (because it isn't important). No big reverb gimmicky, or anything else. Just an amp sim with some harmonic eq. Can someone show me what s-gear does? https://app.box.com/s/6chbsiy9re97vak2tslvmxtz7oev1x0z