Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
letsgetthisworking
Human being with feelings

Default Timing jitter / Stability

G'day folks,

trying out Reaper.

On Win10 64bit, on some intel quad core of a couple years ago with 8 GB RAM.
Whatever Reaper is doing, I have not seen higher CPU load in task manager than 10%, and RAM usage 20%.
The OS is on an SSD.
For now, my VST folder is on a mechanical hard drive.
I am currently using an Edirol/Roland UA-25EX audio interface via ASIO in Reaper.

A much *older* and weaker computer here is running SONAR 8.5 just fine, with a bucket of VST plugins loaded, and I'd be surprized if my *current* machine was somehow to weak for Reaper.

Yet, I only loaded 3 VSTs, 2 of which are actually being used: From vst4free, the 4...something bass (sampled/modelled electric bass), and the best rated acoustic drum kit from that site. (and saxophone, which is loaded but not in use yet)
Then I have 3 (active) audio tracks (and a few others on mute).
The metronome is active.

Now, when I want to record something, from once every few minutes to a couple times per minute, the metronome speed will seem unsteady. Also, sound playback can do that, which makes it rather hard to record something, as it's confusing.
It does not sound to me like audio buffer dropouts. (more like short pauses, how ever that's possible. I have done some audio programming, and I can't tell what this is)
Still, I tried different buffer sizes (via the Roland driver's setup program) - no perceptible change in outcome.

If I render a project to wav, the wav does not have glitches, other than me messing up due to confusion. Which tells me that the driver's buffering in recording direction works fine, there are no dropouts.

Is this a known thing on some systems, are there solutions?
letsgetthisworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:22 AM   #2
Stella645

Try another audio driver to rule out driver problem...WASAPI or ASIO4all.
Confirm if you remove all plugins is playback stable?
Run LatencyMon and post the result and drivers tab sorted by highest execution.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
ivansc

Stella means the latency checker at resplendence.com, not the old tried and true one, as it no longer works reliably post win7.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
letsgetthisworking

Looks like the system has issues. Is a pretty fresh install, though, and no other issues before I was getting into audio recording again.
And now it's MS drivers which cause problems?
What now?

https://i.ibb.co/qj8RmZP/latencymon-2.png

https://i.ibb.co/zP06LkV/latencymon-drv.png
Old 08-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
letsgetthisworking

No ideas?
Old 08-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
letsgetthisworking

Ok, for anyone with similar issues:

It seems my Intel mainboard, which was made for windows 7, was just "too old" for Windows 10 (well, or rather the efforts of the driver makers were too half-assed), and the drivers provided via windows update were just not up to snuff.

It was just not bad enough to have a noticeable impact on other sytem usage, including playing games - although I play somewhat older games usually (e.g. STALKER 3 ran fine)

I just bought a gaming mainboard, not because I want to play newer games, but because I figured gamers would be particular about latency, too.
A ASUS TUF B450-Plus, with a Ryzen 5 - 2600 CPU, Kingston HyperX FURY Black Series RAM, and kept my not so brand spankin' new GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, installed all the drivers from the mainboard CD.
Then already LatencyMon was far better than before, no red marked stuff anymore, but I got 700µs from NVIDIA driver and similar from DX I think.

So far I installed the newest chipset drivers for the mainboard, and the newest NVIDIA drivers, and lowered it all somewhat again, so far the highest I saw was 322µs while running Reaper with the afore mentioned project.

Same UA-25EX audio interface, the audio part of which works.
But Reaper does not detect the MIDI part anymore, I wonder why that is...

Given that I did not have time to actually try out Reaper, on a functioning system, and I'll only really have time in 1..2 weeks:

Is it possible to extend the demo time for Reaper, so I'll actually have a couple weekends to get acquainted with it?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Philbo King

86There is no hard limit of the Reaper trial period, it'll keep working. It's an honor system thing.

On the nvidia video, if you install only the driver, but not the control app that sits on the taskbar, most of its problems go away.

On the midi port, if it's not connected when Reaper is started, you can force it to rescan by using preferences->midi devices->reset midi. A reboot can also help. If neither works, you might have a driver issue for the midi device. Is it part of the UA-25 or a separate device?

A guide for avoiding DAW problems with windows that I found extremely helpful:
https://www.heavyweightbass.net/inde...BCwl7PA6rl_ERM
Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
letsgetthisworking

Thanks, I'll look at that link!

Nvidia, yes, I tend to install only the necessary drivers and no extra bloatware, same goes for HP and other usual offenders

MIDI is part of the UA25EX, and used to work, including in Reaper, on that windows installation, but with older mainboard.
I would guess that this is now in a USB3 port than the USB2 before, and I don't have the panel connectors for USB2 interior sockets yet (my case is apparently also a bit on the older side, the connectors don't match).

If maybe the UA25EX is not 100% standards compliant and something in the maybe stricter backwards compatibility of the USB3 rubs against that, perhaps something roughly like that causes this problem... *wild guess* But maybe I'll reinstall the drivers for the whole thing.

But let's wait what happens when the USB2 connectors have arrived.
I will post what did the trick if it resolved.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetthisworking View Post
Thanks, I'll look at that link!

Nvidia, yes, I tend to install only the necessary drivers and no extra bloatware, same goes for HP and other usual offenders

MIDI is part of the UA25EX, and used to work, including in Reaper, on that windows installation, but with older mainboard.
I would guess that this is now in a USB3 port than the USB2 before, and I don't have the panel connectors for USB2 interior sockets yet (my case is apparently also a bit on the older side, the connectors don't match).

If maybe the UA25EX is not 100% standards compliant and something in the maybe stricter backwards compatibility of the USB3 rubs against that, perhaps something roughly like that causes this problem... *wild guess* But maybe I'll reinstall the drivers for the whole thing.

But let's wait what happens when the USB2 connectors have arrived.
I will post what did the trick if it resolved.
There are known issues with using a USB2 audio/midi device in a machine with USB3 ports. Even if there are USB2-looking ports, they generally run through a USB3 hub inside the machine and so have problems anyway. You might consider getting an add-on (USB2 only) port if your machine has slots or whatever for it. If it doesn't help, you can always send it back for a refund.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
letsgetthisworking

Just a quick update, now after some months I had time again to tackel this issue.

I installed an extra USB 2.0 connector I bought into a free slot on the rear of the PC - just connected to a free USB2 mainboard header.
And this works now. The keyboard is not only found by Windows, but actually Reaper now receives notes from it.
So luckily, those are apparently "real enough" USB 2 ports.