Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
tenor20
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper ignoring plugins in scanned folder

All of a sudden Reaper has selectively decided not to include the Sonigen Modular plugin in my available vsti's from the (x86)Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins folder. Other plugins from that folder appear. The path is definitely in the list. I've tried clearing cache -rescan, Reinstalled the synth (the standalone works fine), moved the dll to its own folder, added a new path and rescanned. Nothing works. It's as if it has independently chosen not to see it. There are 2 patches in there that I can't duplicate (without a great deal of time and effort) on any other synth. Any suggestions?

The only thing I've done today that could possibly impact this (though I don't see how) is install Python to run a script (and with that I had to trick Reaper into finding it by copying the dll into the system32 folder, based on the advice of others in this forum. That worked, but then when I went to play the file later I got "The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.

Track 6: VSTi: Sonigen Modular (x86) (Sonigen)
Track 27: VSTi: SF Synth 3.1 - SynthEdit (x86) (SynthEdit www.synthedit.com)"
For some reason it's not giving me the error on the SF synth anymore.

Last edited by tenor20; 08-06-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Clarity
tenor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
tenor20

Default Resolution

Windows security update today. The problem has disappeared after the update. (Just for anyone in the future who may have a similar problem - I did try a reboot before the windows update to no avail).
tenor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
flightzone

Hello have you had any sucess with this issue? I'm having the same issue. Not 1 of my plugins are in my plugins box and I cant figure this out!!
flightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
ivansc

Try doing a full clear/rescan instead of just a RESCAN in reaper menu prefs/options/plugins/VST
Old 09-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
Rieslingmadness

Default Missing plugins

I've had similar problems. But with a bit of cursing and frigging around they would be re-instated.
Just the other day I couldn't get them back the cache/re-scan would only load several of the usual stayers and the scan would stop very early.
I did read a bit about what folders one should store plugins in,One thing that I have yet to read elsewhere. Someone stated that the Reaper plugin folder is only for the supplied Reaper plugins, but that is where I try and put all of mine, sometimes a plugin will insist on a particular folder.

So I split them into two folders, seems Reaper was a bit tetchy about so many in one folder, and this , so far seems to work
Rieslingmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
ivansc

The reason you are not supposed to put third party plugins in the reaper plugin folder is that (as it says in the manual & a gazillion times on here) that folder is designed to be used exclusively by reaper`s included plugins, which are NOT standard vst plugins, but run under a slightly different protocol exclusive to reaper & them. So what yo ureally need to do is install all your third party stuff in another separate folder. Typically, most folks have C:\Program Files\Vst plugins for 64bit plugins & C:\Program file (x86) for the 32 bit ones or anything you are not sure of.
Bear in mind that some manufacturers have an install script that insists on putting their plugins in some where different & they don`t like it if you just casually move them.

About the only plugin convention that was sorta imposed on us was Cubase`s insisting that Vst3 plugs should always be installed in C:\Program file\Common files\ etc..