Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Thanks for the suggestions Sju and Vagelis.

With a static input buffer, feedback would be non-trivial because it would mean that I would have to run two buffers, each with their own set of parallel grains for it to work. Would more than double the CPU cost. I'll think about it a bit more. Maybe it can be done differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Shame about the drag and drop, but are you still gonna try to do sample loading some other way? It's usually enough to have a mousewheel/arrow guided dropdown for cycling the contents of a sample folder.
Yeah, it's a real shame :/

But what you suggest is also not possible. The problem is not finding the location, the problem is that JSFX doesn't allow loading wave files outside the effects or data folders. Hopefully we get that FR granted one day. Until that day, recording it is.

Quote:
As far as the preset size, could there be an option to automatically truncate any areas of the sample outside the bounds of where the playhead actually hits with current settings? That way minimal info is stored, but presets will still sound the same.
Yeah, something like that will probably end up happening.

Quote:
I know I asked before, but I still don't get why you're not making these projects as VST plugins? I really don't think there are many developers cranking out novel and good-quality plugins at the rate you are and well...all these jsfx limitations don't bother you?
Too much non-fun hassle.

Sure some limitations bother me, and the CPU cost could be better, but the alternative is a lot more painful and not realistic (given that I have a dayjob).

With VST, every iteration of something would require a recompile. Debugging a C++ program takes ten times the time of a JSFX, especially one that might depend on outside input (need to code your own input/output for every test you do), meaning everything takes a lot more time to develop.

Much more potential for bugs when I'm handling the threading. Bugs also tend to produce much more notorious effects in non-sandboxed languages.

VSTs are not multi-platform by default unless you're using some middleware again. Writing GUIs for a VST is really painful, and usually, again, involves platform dependent code, two of which I don't regularly use (meaning bug reports that will be hard or impossible for me to locally reproduce). Also how you look for files is for instance platform dependent.

I could go on, but long story short, I'm lazy. It's a lot of non-fun additional work (unless you're willing to have no GUI, which I am not), and it's not likely that this will change any time soon. I'm keeping an eye on iPlug2 as it would be a contender for reducing a lot of these VST-related pains, but for the time being I'm going to stick with JSFX.

Think of it this way, without JSFX, these plugins would simply not exist at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookthespook View Post
ookk then . I just played a bit with these monsters !!

I don't know how you coded that stereo imager ! It beats the crap out the brainworx V3 which is a 200+ dollar plugin! And the Reflectosaurus is a beast which in some pockets is way superior to the GRM space echo !
Ghehe. I don't know either of those plugins to be honest. But hope you find some use for these

Last edited by sai'ke; 07-16-2019 at 01:36 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote