Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
Neoradius
Human being with feelings

Default Not recording MIDI in MIDI editor

Hi, I am having a minor problem here: I cannot record MIDI while the MIDI editor is active. I need to close it and only then (in general sequencer view) recording is possible, but it's not handy sometimes. In my prevoius software I used to record while the editor window was open, and I need this mode now very much. What can I do? Thank you!
Neoradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:46 AM   #2
DarkStar

Reaper doesn't work that way.

But, let me ask - why do you need the MIDI Editor open when you are recording the MIDI you are playing? Maybe there's another way to achieve what you want.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
Neoradius

Sometimes I record step by step, chord by chord. For example, I can record one chord, but if I hit a wrong note, I instantly correct it manually in the MIDI editor, and then move on to recording a next chord, and so on. Instead of a chord there can be a part of a complex phrase, and stuff like that. Now imagine how it bugs me closing and opening the MIDI editor again and again, until I am finished with this musical part. All other DAWs in which I worked before REAPER, could do this thing.
But I have noticed many times, that REAPER sometimes does the same things in some other, and often better way. So maybe this is the case when REAPER has something to offer to make my workflow faster in this particular instance? Thank you.

Last edited by Neoradius; 10-19-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
DarkStar

Ah ha - have a look at 'Step Recording' in the User Guide

Last edited by DarkStar; 10-19-2016 at 06:56 AM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Neoradius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Ah ha - have a look at 'Step Recording' in the User Guide
Thank you, I have watched the video you recommended. Step recording is a very useful technique - I didn't know about it. I guess I will be using it some day.
It's not exactly what I need, though.
But the good news is that I found a very simple decision: instead of opening a full MIDI editor, I turn a "reduced" MIDI editor by hitting the "E" key on the keyboard (when a clip is highlighted), then zoom the clip vertically - and here you go, I can record and edit everything in one window!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
DarkStar

I'm glad that you found a way that suits you.

Yep, but I cannot picture how you are doing that a step at a time or while recording. Unless you are recording the clip, then hitting 'e' and editing the notes there (PS it's called the Inline Editor).
Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Neoradius

Quote:
I'm glad that you found a way that suits you.

Yep, but I cannot picture how you are doing that a step at a time or while recording.
What I described is not step recording, it's simply recording small bit by bit and immediate editing if necessary. I said "step by step" simply to describe this gradual building of a needed harmony or a musical phrase. Sorry for causing you to misunderstand me..

Quote:
Unless you are recording the clip, then hitting 'e' and editing the notes there (PS it's called the Inline Editor)
That's exactly what I am doing. The problem is solved
Old 10-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
DarkStar

No problem. And you're up and running.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoradius View Post
Sometimes I record step by step, chord by chord. For example, I can record one chord, but if I hit a wrong note, I instantly correct it manually in the MIDI editor, and then move on to recording a next chord, and so on.
Humm, have you tried "Record MIDI: overdub/replace>Record MIDI: overdub". I use that all the time and it works great. You do have to have a midi item to record in though.

Another thing I do, because I don't record or use loops, is insert full song midi items on every midi track.

Maybe I missed something and this isn't what you want at all.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
Neoradius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Humm, have you tried "Record MIDI: overdub/replace>Record MIDI: overdub". I use that all the time and it works great. You do have to have a midi item to record in though.

Another thing I do, because I don't record or use loops, is insert full song midi items on every midi track.
I tried that, but the Rec button won't even turn on in the MIDI editor view. When it's docked, it works, but still, you need to have the MIDI clip in the arrange area active (touched). Otherwise it won't budge.
In fact, there isn't even a record button in the MIDI editor's built-in transport, have you noticed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

Maybe I missed something and this isn't what you want at all.
What I am actually talking about is the MIDI editor (not the inline one - the full one). I cannot record anything, when it's window is active. I have a small screen for now, so I can't keep much stuff docked. So I need to keep the MIDI editor floating or maximized at full screen, but in this case the recording is't working. The recording works only in the arranger view (when the arranger view is active or touched).

I found a way out that is okay for me now (using inline editor), but, of course, I feel that the way it is is kinda wrong, cause all other DAWs i worked in before can record in their main MIDI editor. But it's all right
Old 10-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #11
hopi

Quote:
Thank you, I have watched the video you recommended. Step recording is a very useful technique - I didn't know about it. I guess I will be using it some day.
It's not exactly what I need, though.
But the good news is that I found a very simple decision: instead of opening a full MIDI editor, I turn a "reduced" MIDI editor by hitting the "E" key on the keyboard (when a clip is highlighted), then zoom the clip vertically - and here you go, I can record and edit everything in one window!
fyi that 'reduced' ed. is called the Inline Editor... just in case you wanted to search the user guide for more info about it...
Old 10-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
I tried that, but the Rec button won't even turn on in the MIDI editor view. When it's docked, it works, but still, you need to have the MIDI clip in the arrange area active (touched). Otherwise it won't budge.
In fact, there isn't even a record button in the MIDI editor's built-in transport, have you noticed?

What I am actually talking about is the MIDI editor (not the inline one - the full one). I cannot record anything, when it's window is active. I have a small screen for now, so I can't keep much stuff docked. So I need to keep the MIDI editor floating or maximized at full screen, but in this case the recording is't working. The recording works only in the arranger view (when the arranger view is active or touched).

I found a way out that is okay for me now (using inline editor), but, of course, I feel that the way it is is kinda wrong, cause all other DAWs i worked in before can record in their main MIDI editor. But it's all right
Trust me Neoradius, something's not quite right for you. Maybe it's a setting, I don't know.

First Make sure you have your keyboard controller selected for "Input MIDI". I use all channels when I do this.

Then Right click on the "Arm" button and select "Record MIDI: overdub/replace>Record MIDI: overdub".

Make sure you have a midi item on that midi track, and open it in the Midi Editor. I suggest you use a full song/project midi item. That is if you aren't making midi loops, because it will make your life a whole lot easier.

The Midi Editor doesn't have a record button, but what I did is set up "R" as a shortcut for "Transport: Record" action in the arrange area. Then in the Midi Editor action list, I've assigned "R" to "Misc: Pass through key to main window". So when I want to record in the Midi Editor, I simply hit "R".

In the Midi Editors track list, I can also toggle "Arm" for any midi track.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote