Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
TTR
Human being with feelings

Default BCF2000 (tried everything)

Hi, I'm new to recording and just got my system set up - windows 7 64 bit running Reaper 32 and a Behringer BCF2000 as my control surface. I've tried everything to get it to work and just can't seem to get a handle on how to actually PROGRAM the buttons - I've found a ton of other posts here, and most of them point to Klinke's version which didn't work for me...

I guess what I'm asking is, from a complete newbie standpoint, would somebody please be so kind as to explain to me exactly how to get my BCF2000 running with programmable controls (if possible), again from a bare basic understanding of the technology involved.

Thank you SO MUCH if you can help me, and if not thanks anyway for reading this far and I hope to see you around the forums

Rock and Roll,

Jeremy
TTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
Mark90

Hi TTr,
With Reaper most things are customable including control surfaces, so to set your BCF up go to Options -> Preferences -> (Audio) Midi Devices
and edit your BCF entry in the midi hardware input settings to control only.
Now you can use the Actions list to set up whatever control on the BCF 2000 to whatever control action you want.

If you want feedback you can set that up to..
go to the Options -> Preferences -> control surfaces
add Behringer BCF2000 (using preset 1) and set up midi out to the BCF2000. (Don't set up the input as it is set up already above)
The feedback will only be on the faders and pan controls.

A good setup is to use preset 1 on the BCF as generic fader/pan controls and the other presets for custom actions.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
KevinW

I highly recommend you read through this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33149

There are two basic ways to set up the BCF. One is as a midi controller, the other is as a control surface (like an MCU.) With the help of a forum member Klinke, the use of the BCF as a control surface is fantastic, and it also allows you to control various VST parameters. The thread specific to that method is located here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818

Welcome to the forums. Lots of great information here.

Edit - sorry, just realized you already tried Klinke's method. Sorry it doesn't work for you. Maybe you could explain just how Klinke's method didn't work for you? Perhaps there's a solution.

Last edited by KevinW; 11-07-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: re-read OP
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Link0126

This is the setup that worked for me after a while of frustration...

Follow these instructions to a T and it should work.

http://fallofarcadia.com/BCF2000/
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
TTR

Thank for all the kind replies, they are much appreciated! Mark90, your suggestion hit the nail - I wasn't seeing feedback because I never specified a MIDI Out, only In, from/To the BCF2000. Everything works (for the most part) as I'd like it so I'm pretty much done setting up.

Thanks again! I love you guys!

Jeremy
TTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link0126 View Post
This is the setup that worked for me after a while of frustration...

Follow these instructions to a T and it should work.

http://fallofarcadia.com/BCF2000/
Are the faders jerky with this mod?

Thanks!
Graal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
RobertP

TTR, I would be pleased to hear how you are getting on with the method Mark90 suggested?

I am finding the BCF200 excellent as far as it goes using very basic functions via klinkes in mc cubase mode as a control surface.

I like to try a basic level till I feel comfortable and confident with it before moving on. I now feel I want to move on a bit but ...

Reading through the now extensive posts about control surfaces, the dreadful Behringer manual and klinkes stuff I am still puzzled by how to access the various functions of buttons and the whereabouts of the 'shift' key/button.

For example, the top button under the rotator for fader 1 CAN be for mute, solo or go-to-marker-one, the button underneath this can be for select, record arm or action. If I am reading this right, these buttons each have 3 functions and access to them is by using 'shift' or 'cntrl/shift'.

But where are they? I have tried using the obvious pc keyboard ones but to no avail (here is where I start to turn a shade of pink with embarrassment).
It seems to me that a button/whatever on the BCF is designated as a 'shift' key but I am blowed if I can see it in all the posts I have read.
hmm, and the same goes for the rotator thingy ...

and yes I am one of these...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=67479
so please help an old geezer
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc100 View Post
TTR, I would be pleased to hear how you are getting on with the method Mark90 suggested?

I am finding the BCF200 excellent as far as it goes using very basic functions via klinkes in mc cubase mode as a control surface.

I like to try a basic level till I feel comfortable and confident with it before moving on. I now feel I want to move on a bit but ...

Reading through the now extensive posts about control surfaces, the dreadful Behringer manual and klinkes stuff I am still puzzled by how to access the various functions of buttons and the whereabouts of the 'shift' key/button.

For example, the top button under the rotator for fader 1 CAN be for mute, solo or go-to-marker-one, the button underneath this can be for select, record arm or action. If I am reading this right, these buttons each have 3 functions and access to them is by using 'shift' or 'cntrl/shift'.

But where are they? I have tried using the obvious pc keyboard ones but to no avail (here is where I start to turn a shade of pink with embarrassment).
It seems to me that a button/whatever on the BCF is designated as a 'shift' key but I am blowed if I can see it in all the posts I have read.
hmm, and the same goes for the rotator thingy ...

and yes I am one of these...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=67479
so please help an old geezer
It's a bit confusing. The shift key associated with the alternate functions of the buttons you mention are not the keyboard "Shift", but rather the "upper shift" and "lower shift" buttons on the BCF2000.

You can see them labeled in this photo (look at the buttons with the red label and the blue label in the upper right corner):

I created this overlay because I could not remember what button did what using Klinke's csurf. If you want the overlay, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i3pc8dqgt...%20overlay.xls

Last edited by KevinW; 07-23-2012 at 04:27 AM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
RobertP

arrrrg!! - seems so obvious now ..

thank you KevinW, I am in your debt, you have made an old man happy

I had actually printed off the overlay today and got my son to print them in colour but hadn't noticed what was in front of me. Looks like a busy day tomorrow.

Once again, many, many thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
RobertP

Works a treat yeh!!

I have one other question:
Is it possible to make track 1 show as the master track, even when moving to the next, however many banks, ie, as track 1, 9, 17 etc?

I have tried by showing the master track in the track 1 position, not just track 1 in the mixer, but it doesn't link to the BCF.

I would settle for it remaining in track 1 even, as my mixes rarely go over more than 16/20 tracks total so I never have far to go.

I probably need to think the 'why' through a bit more

cheers again KevinW
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
romik

There is an extensive video tutorial on YouTube on BCF with Logic, a lot of functions would work the same way in Reaper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK0Zy...e_gdata_player
romik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
dazzathedrummer

can anyone tell me how to use the different shifts etc so I can set up the BCF for FX?

I've been using the unit as a control surface for a year now, its really great - I'm on a mac so I'm using the standard McC set up. It would be great to be able to control FX on any given track as well.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
LUCAS.715

Guys,

How can i put knobs to control fx, vst, eq and etc?

i'm use kmcud mode, like so much, but this controls still in faders...

how can i fix?
LUCAS.715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #14
romik

Has anyone experienced this, when I adjust volume via a control surface a pan on another track goes hard right? Program CC all original, so no idea why this is happening.
romik is offline   Reply With Quote