Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
Cody.titus@gmail.com
Human being with feelings

Default "Djazz Hands" - I DUDDITZ (djent/jazz fusion w/saxophone)

all music written recorded programmed and mixed by me in reaper 5.
kontakt 5
steven slate drum samples
line 6 amplifi tt
Jackson slatt xmg3 7string
I took the saxophone samples from some old sax quartet songs and chopped them up and used the reapitch bender on them. sounded like shit until i discovered the "algorithim" option lol i really have no idea what im doing lolol

https://youtu.be/o5lPytrtJbs
Cody.titus@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
prom

This would not be out of place on many commercial albums I remember listening to...heavy technical jams similar to Primus or 80's era King Crimson spring to mind.
1:34 --> sax here is like a human vocal wail.
Well stitched together,ambitious and fun technical demonstration.

cover image Gorgon?

*just a thought = Would be interested to hear you working in bonds (so to speak), i.e. in a restricted slow motion/time lapse sound with no percussive elements ,0, as in - not even the attack on your guitar strings...maybe with reversal technique of/on certain choice elements in the production.This is because it seems to me that compositionally you mirror an edgy but functioning sprawling urban chaos (not a bad thing but that contrast from you would sure be interesting).

Anyway...this up there^...is very good imo...so why struggle with anything else...right?
The production of music/art that comes from somewhere within us is hard enough as is, most of the time.

Keep enjoying the process.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
Cody.titus@gmail.com

Hey thx for the articulate and thoughtful feedback prom.
yeh I tried to mix the sax in as if they were vocals. ive never attempted mixing trumpets before but i had alot fun with them and was very happy with how they turned out.

the cover art is from a book called colormorphia. very,very cool book. Its like a coloring book for adults lol. My girlfriend colored this particular one for me and i added the artist name and song title.

And im all for trying out new ideas,ill keep that in mind while writing the next one.can you give me a more specific example of what youre talikng about? maybe from another song? i think i hear what your saying but wanna be sure.

and same to you prom,i will keep enjoying it for sure. Writing,recording and mixing is hands down the most rewarding thing i have ever done with my life. period.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
mccrabney

wow, i would have sworn up and down that John Malcovitch played Duddits in that stupid movie.
but it wasn't John Malcovitch, it was a different strange bald man
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Cody.titus@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
wow, i would have sworn up and down that John Malcovitch played Duddits in that stupid movie.
but it wasn't John Malcovitch, it was a different strange bald man
I think it was Mark wahlbergs brother lol.also this is gonna sound like a weird question but are you in a band called "the breathing process" or do you know anyone personally who is by chance? Lol

Old 10-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody.titus@gmail.com View Post
a more specific example of what youre talikng about?
Example ? yeah no cos I wasn't thinking about some specific track by anyone.You got a volume pedal??? I think you could work some interesting jazz/djazz chordal arrangements together and at a tempo you would not normally work in...using volume fades/sustains/clip/sample reversal to supress all attack transients and percussion.
Thought you could produce some work that was contrasting to give yourself a break if needed from more demanding full on arranging engineering production with what essentially contains a boat load of percussion ,which can be hard work to put together solo and a challenge for the ears over the course of lengthy sessions in the studio.
Whatever,heavy under/over-tones as is wherever.

Last edited by prom; 10-05-2019 at 12:11 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody.titus@gmail.com View Post
I think it was Mark wahlbergs brother lol.also this is gonna sound like a weird question but are you in a band called "the breathing process" or do you know anyone personally who is by chance? Lol
no and no, is there a fun story in why you're asking?
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote