Old 04-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Rkmusic
Human being with feelings

Default VU color meters?

Hello everyone this is my first post,I'm new to reaper coming from cubase 9. I just wanna change the default colors of the vu meters to my liking.Don't like those standard ones.im using the default theme. I want the look of pro tools 11-12 meter colors. I'm so used to those colors thanks.
Rkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
hopi

ummm probably more than you want to do as it will involve some theme editing... are good with graphics work?

Now what might be more expediant is to go up on the reaper stash, look through the themes area and see if something there suits your taste...

I do understand... I'm fussy about the the color of my meters as well and I do change them but I know the colors I want.

but your post is curious... since you say you are coming from cubase but want the look of PT meters cuz you are so used to them... strange

Last edited by hopi; 04-10-2017 at 10:35 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
Rkmusic

In cubase I customized the meter colors to look like pro tools.Very simple in cubase. I went to actions and type in theme and click run I got that far lol. I see the meters colors but when I change it to my liking it doesn't work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by Rkmusic; 04-10-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Check the Sticky in this forum "2. Common tweaks to a REAPER theme". It has a section called "Tweak : Making meter colours editable".
Old 04-11-2017, 04:15 AM   #5
sonicowl

I did the same, coming from Cubase 8.5. It is easy, you just change bitmap for meters in theme. Unpack theme, find bitmaps meter_strip_v.png and meter_strip_h.png, and edit them as you like in photo editor.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
Rkmusic

I'll try it out later today and let you know the results. Thank you
Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Rkmusic

What do I do after I change the color? How do I apply it to the default theme and do I just replace the original file for the new color meter file thanks. Sorry for bothering you guys about this
Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 AM   #8
Flaneurette

I've created custom meters for my theme, have a look if you need an example: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1920/Live.ReaperThemeZip

Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
hopi

there are a couple of ways... one is the method WT pointed out... where you do it with the theme tweaker action...

if you do it there, then you can in that window also save the them with save as...

so that gives you the theme file, which is not the xxxx.ReaperThemeZip file...

the ReaperThemeZip file is that saved as file along with the folder of png files and rtconfig.txt.

How to get to that:

Take the original xxxx.ReaperThemeZip file... rename it to have a .zip added to the file name... [I suggest you make a temporary working folder to do this in]
In there, unzip that and you will get a folder and a theme file...
That theme file is the one you'd want to overwrite with the one you save from the theme tweaker...
Then you'd take that file and the folder and use whatever zip tools you have to combine them into a new file: xxxxmyname.ReaperThemeZip.zip
Then rename that without the .zip and you're ready to use it...

The other way, which is what I prefer, it to open the folder of png files and find the two or three png's that are the meter colors and remake them with Photoshop or whatever you use for graphics, then do the zipping to get the ready to use xxxx.ReaperThemeZip file.