Old 01-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
znickz
Human being with feelings

Default The most bizarre issue

Hey everyone,
Really hoping someone has experienced this before and can help me out.

I have a focusrite 2i2 that I plug in my guitar to and have tried both the Focusrite audio drivers and ASIO 4ALL drivers.

When I record, It shows that it is working and I see the soundwaves. When I save the file and hit play, I hear everything BUT when I just hit play within REAPER on the track I recorded, I hear nothing from either my plugged in headphones or studio speakers connected to the 2i2.

I literally went and bought a 2i4 today to see if it was the device and it was not, so I had to return that one.

In my control panel the 2i2 is set as playback. I arm the track. I also click the I/O and add new hardware and set it to both output 1 and 2, or just output 1 which is where my guitar is connected, and still the same issue.

Am I missing anything?! At this point I will Paypal someone 10 bucks to help me fix this. I sold my amp because my apartment neighbors are all dicks and all I want to do is play guitar on my PC and listen to it with my headphones or speakers. I need my fix!

-Nick
znickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
Lokasenna

- When you press play in Reaper, does the meter on the Master track start jumping around accordingly?

- Click the little "ROUTE" button on your master track and look at what opens. The volume fader should read 0db, but there's also a fader specifically for the hardware output that should also read 0db.

- Go into Options | Preferences | Audio | Device and, um, see if anything looks odd.

If you can post screenshots of those windows that might tell us a fair bit.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:15 AM   #3
cyrano

Sounds more like a Windows problem to me. Are you on Windows 10 by any chance?

Not that I've seen this before, exactly. But security measures in Windows 10 could provoke this kind of behaviour.

And that leads to the question what path REAPER is recording to? If this is a system path, the system might prevent reading the recorded file back and saving could solve it, because you save to a different path...
Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
znickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

Not that I've seen this before, exactly. But security measures in Windows 10 could provoke this kind of behaviour.

And that leads to the question what path REAPER is recording to? If this is a system path, the system might prevent reading the recorded file back and saving could solve it, because you save to a different path...
I am using Windows 10.

It's recording to the default path Documents/REAPER Media

I can hear it after I save the file and everything but I need to hear what i'm playing as I play it with Amplitude effects.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
znickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
- When you press play in Reaper, does the meter on the Master track start jumping around accordingly?

- Click the little "ROUTE" button on your master track and look at what opens. The volume fader should read 0db, but there's also a fader specifically for the hardware output that should also read 0db.

- Go into Options | Preferences | Audio | Device and, um, see if anything looks odd.

If you can post screenshots of those windows that might tell us a fair bit.
Thanks for your help.
I checked those things and seems fine.
I attached a video for reference on settings, etc.
https://sendvid.com/abs0uv67

Thanks,
Nick
Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #6
ed209

Uh, is monitoring on? Judging not from the original post but later on you said you wanted to hear the guitar as you recorded.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #7
ivansc

Little triangular button in the track control area for your guitar track. Cycles through Record monitoring: On Off and Auto.
I set mine to auto, which means I can always hear my guitar.
Triangle is I think supposed yto look like a little loudspeaker icon! Not entirely intuitive. Did you already download and read at least the first section of the user guide? Some good free toturial videos on the same page.
Oh and welcome to the forums!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
znickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
Uh, is monitoring on? Judging not from the original post but later on you said you wanted to hear the guitar as you recorded.
Direct monitoring is not on, I am using amplitube and it would not reflect the effects I have on, only clean.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
znickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Little triangular button in the track control area for your guitar track. Cycles through Record monitoring: On Off and Auto.
I set mine to auto, which means I can always hear my guitar.
Triangle is I think supposed yto look like a little loudspeaker icon! Not entirely intuitive. Did you already download and read at least the first section of the user guide? Some good free toturial videos on the same page.
Oh and welcome to the forums!
I will try this and get back to you. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

Nah, nothing security wise would block an audio stream. It sounds more to me like either routing/monitoring or a conflict of some sort either due to something else having the driver or something to do with ASIO4All. I have seen cases where multiple apps are sharing and they all may be wanting different sample rates etc. which can cause a bad driver state when switching between them with the exact same symptoms as described above (meters move, can't hear audio) but not Win10 specific at all fwiw. I had it last night (albeit extremely rare) but that resolution was just to close all other apps and recycle the sound card.

To the OP, just for sanity, see if your problem still repros under the following conditions:

1. Reaper is the ONLY application running that can play audio, not even a browser running.
2. Sound card buffer is not at some odd/low setting like 48 samples, use 128 for kicks.
3. If possible will the sound card you purchased allow you to use ASIO directly and bypass ASIO4ALL in Reaper's device settings?

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-25-2017 at 07:46 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
Lokasenna

That video only shows you not getting sound while recording - as mentioned above, that's because input monitoring isn't turned on.

Can you take another video of you just pressing play to hear back the already-recorded track?