Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
lcspro
Human being with feelings

Default Midi file playback

Not sure what step I am missing here... I have downloaded a few midi files to use for backing tracks like drums and whatnot, but when I hit the play button I get no sound even though there is clearly data in the midi file that I can see. I can open a track, like the drums let say, and see data, when I push the keys on the piano to the left I hear noise, I can even add additional notes to the already existing data that will play back, but the existing data will not : (

I am sure I am missing something very simple... Thanks in advance for any replies... Here are the steps I follow, sorry if I am being too anal in listing out my steps...

1. Open Reaper
2. "Insert" Media File... (Such as a midi file I have for Metallica's Nothing else matters, which contains data for voice, guitars, bass and drums) When the "MIDI file import options" dialog box comes up I leave both check marks in place, one says "Expand 17 source tracks to new REAPER tracks" and the other says "Merge source tempo to project tempo map at 1.1.00"
3. I scroll down to track number 8 which is labeled "Drums" and click on the "FX" button.
4. I choose "Instruments" from the list and then choose "Dxi: SampleTank 2.x" and press ok.
5. SampleTank loads and I choose "SampleTank 2 XT Sounds - SampleTank 2 - Drums - Acoustic - Studio Natural". Once I have chosen this I can click on the piano keys in SampleTank and "hear" the drum sounds. I now close the window and got back to the tracks.
6. I move my start point in because this songs drums start later in the song, press the play button and I "hear" nothing : (
7. I stop the playback and open the track in the midi editor. Again as I stated above, I can press the piano keys and hear the drum sounds, and even add notes to what is already there that will play during playback, but the existing data does not...

I have also done this same process with other midi files and other types of tracks like guitar and bass, always the same...

Sigh, just wanna play some music and not spend all my time trying to figure out how
lcspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Fex

It sounds like the imported MIDI events are on a different MIDI channel from the VST. You'll see those events when you open the MIDI editor, because the default view shows all channels. Go through the channels in the MIDI editor window to find out what channel the events are on, and either assign the VST to that channel, or move the notes to the channel the VST is on.

Drums, by convention, should be on channel 10.

If this doesn't solve the problem, look at the Event List in the MIDI editor, and see if there's something unexpected going on.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
lcspro

Thank you, I can now see that when I was choosing my sound within SampleTank I was putting it in the first available "slot" which was midi channel 1... Once I moved it down to channel 10, the drums started playing

Thank you, thank you
Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
DarkStar

Also ... in SampleTank, you can drag the MIDI channel on each Instrument slot up/down to change it. No need to load drums into slot 10.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
lcspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Also ... in SampleTank, you can drag the MIDI channel on each Instrument slot up/down to change it. No need to load drums into slot 10.
Perfect, I see that now... Thank you very much
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Fex

Pleased to be of service. My favourite threads are the ones where adequate information is provided to diagnose a simple problem.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
lcspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Pleased to be of service. My favourite threads are the ones where adequate information is provided to diagnose a simple problem.
Amen!!