Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #41
Jed
Human being with feelings

Thanks heaps Nicholas - much appreciated

Cheers
Jed

Ive just noticed that the effects bypassed button on the tcp is a diff shape when its orange. Is that deliberate?

Last edited by Jed; 04-16-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #42
moodswinger

Yeah Lab this is my default now, been using it for a couple of weeks now and like someone else pointed out, this is the first one to look as good installed on my machine as the screen shot. Lovin' it. BTW using 1.3, just for the transport buttons and just got Nic's add-on. Awesome job tho!!!
Cheers,
Moodswinger
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #43
labyrinth

I'm glad you're liking the theme. I have tweaked it quite a bit, even just slight things so it looks nice up close too. I also took Nicolas's advice on making the bypassed effect panels match the button (this was an oversight on my behalf). The reason I switched the transport was because of the size mostly. I really did feel the round 'Logic' like transport was more ascetically pleasing, but was more difficult when you are more distant from your monitor(s). I'm almost ready to put out version 1.5. Any idea, here's a look...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #44
Deric

labyrinth,

This Theme just keeps getting better...

Great work!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #45
labyrinth

Default VS 1.5 is ready...enjoy

Alright so I took some of your suggestions and made some of my own. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #46
daverich

that's lookin really great

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #47
labyrinth

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #48
Jed

Lab

1.5 RAWKS!!!

Cheers
Jed
Old 04-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #49
thehuman

Thanks so much for this! Simply beautiful. This is pretty much what I have been waiting for.
thehuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #50
Lawrence

This has been my default since I first saw it. It's great.

I hope I can name this one something else so I can keep the old version.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #51
Lawrence

Yikes! I named it with a '15' appender so as not to overwrite the original (and edited the theme file to point to the right folder) and YIKES!

This is beautiful. The per-item FX label is much more visible. The top icons are smaller and more ergonomic, the track icon changes are stunning. Wow. Thanks man. This one will be tough to beat for an overall professional look. This should be Reaper's default skin if you ask me... it has that understated yet ergonomic and finished look that just looks ... well ... right.

When you start adding random colors to tracks it just looks better and better, unlike some others that don't take that so well. I've not yet hit a random color that this theme doesn't like. Man, if Reaper's program window could go borderless like FLStudio it would be even more beautiful.

It's come a long way from that ugly duckling I saw a couple years ago. Wow...

Edit: I did copy the old transport buttons though (not in this pic). I like those dark ones better.

Edit: P.S. I'm an idiot ... there is a phase button already... I don't know why I thought there was not.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-23-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #52
Art Evans
Mortal

The effect of having ripple editing on and its precise state is so important that I find it essential to have red (dots or whatever) on that button. Other than that, this is an excellent one and it may well become my new default!

Many thanks for the effort.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 AM   #53
labyrinth

Thank You everyone. I will add the old transport buttons in the next versions alt. graphics folder. I will also now be naming further versions with the version number to prevent saving over older or alternate themes of this name- sorry about that.

Anyone have any ideas or tweaks?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 AM   #54
Lawrence

Add some color to the send level? That light gray doesn't really stand out.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #55
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Add some color to the send level? That light gray doesn't really stand out.
I'll see what I can come up with, do you like that it goes to red when it's over 0dB?

try dropping this with the other graphics for 'Easy On The Eyes 1.5,' and let me know how it works.... https://stash.reaper.fm/1149/mcp_sendlist_meter.zip

Last edited by labyrinth; 04-24-2008 at 05:54 AM.
labyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #56
moodswinger

Lab, I second the default thing this is IMHO truthfully "easy on the eyes" work wise, aesthetic wise, all around, and I think if peeps in general saw a GUI like this on Reaper, in the screenshots on the web, it would generally change the opinions of those that "can't get past" the look.

and only since you asked for op's & tweaks, I personally liked the squared off folder markers, and the changed color made it really easy to see "folder tracks", but I'm not one to complain, especially about something this cool (especially since i can still just use 1.3) just a preference. But I really like some of the new stuff too, so maybe in the alt graphics folder you mentioned??

But thanks again, almost as good as when i discovered Reaper itself.
Cheers,
MoodSwinger
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #57
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswinger View Post
Lab, I second the default thing this is IMHO truthfully "easy on the eyes" work wise, aesthetic wise, all around, and I think if peeps in general saw a GUI like this on Reaper, in the screenshots on the web, it would generally change the opinions of those that "can't get past" the look.

and only since you asked for op's & tweaks, I personally liked the squared off folder markers, and the changed color made it really easy to see "folder tracks", but I'm not one to complain, especially about something this cool (especially since i can still just use 1.3) just a preference. But I really like some of the new stuff too, so maybe in the alt graphics folder you mentioned??

But thanks again, almost as good as when i discovered Reaper itself.
Cheers,
MoodSwinger
A complaint would be one thing, but a comment or preference is another...I'll add the older folder size markers to the alternate graphics. I'm still not totally sure on the new ones either. I also agree that a nicer theme should be on the REAPER home page to showcase the program with a more appealing GUI.

FYI- By popular demand I am bringing back the vs.1.3 transport, but am enlarging it to be more workable. (This graphic set was originally designed by Ted Warigo, just don't give me the credit)

Last edited by labyrinth; 04-24-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #58
Deric

labyrinth,

I think your theme is a great one, this could be the one that, finally, makes me leave the default for more than a day or two.

I don't like the 'multi-shade/colour' transport thing though - I would prefer flat and plain.

I also find the reds used (pan, rec-arm, etc) and the blues used (FX etc) are a bit too bright and 'electric' for late-night (and tired) eyes.

Is there anyway I can change that stuff??

Other than those things I have really found your theme very easy to get along with - really well done!

Cheers,

Deric.

Edit: And I'd like to change the scroll-bars for non-shaded versions if possible

Last edited by Deric; 04-24-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added question.
Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #59
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
labyrinth,

I think your theme is a great one, this could be the one that, finally, makes me leave the default for more than a day or two.

I don't like the 'multi-shade/colour' transport thing though - I would prefer flat and plain.

I also find the reds used (pan, rec-arm, etc) and the blues used (FX etc) are a bit too bright and 'electric' for late-night (and tired) eyes.

Is there anyway I can change that stuff??

Other than those things I have really found your theme very easy to get along with - really well done!

Cheers,

Deric.

Edit: And I'd like to change the scroll-bars for non-shaded versions if possible
As far as changing colors within the graphics themselves you would need to use some kind of a graphic program (I use Coral Draw, Gimp, and Paint.Net...the last two are free on the web). To make the changes to the transport is different, here you would need to substitute the current buttons/icons with your preference. In the next version I am going back to the vs.1-1.3 'Logic Type.' I try to make it 'Easy On The Eyes,' but somethings still need to stand out in order for quick manipulation of the program (i.e. Mix settings). Let me know, if you need some pointers...I'm not a pro at this, but am okay.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #60
The dman

labyrinth

Excellent skin. This is my favorite theme so far. Now Reaper looks like a fine woman with a fine set of threads.

Great Job
The dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 AM   #61
Deric

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
...Let me know, if you need some pointers...
Thanks labyrinth, I'll do that once I've got this current project out of the way.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #62
labyrinth

Default New Version 1.6 is now ready

Some great improvements here:
*Named the file with 1.6 at the end to keep alternate versions (sorry about that).
*Changed the send meter to a translucent white for a more contrasting look, which allows quicker viewing (thanks for the advice Lawrence).
*Changed the font on FX to black, as it's less eye straining.
*Added a revised version of White Tie's 'Elevator' splash.
*Added a lot more alterative graphics to the graphics folder. Including the vs.1-1.3 transport to the alt graphics folder for those who prefer this
transport, but enlarged it to be more usable (thanks to those forum requestees)...credit goes to Ted Warigo for the design. Changed the rec item, rec loop,
and play sync buttons to be easier to distinguish what was going on.
*Made some changes to the Toolbar buttons to make them easier to distinguish when active/disabled, rather than the blue at the bottom alone.
*Toned the blue hue down a bit, as some users preferred this (me too in the end).
*Changed the hue and brightness of the folder buttons and added some '3-D like' features.
*Changed the TCP & MCP Pan faders and backgrounds for a more 'SONAR-look'.
(SONAR is a Registered Trademark of Cakewalk, Inc.)
*Moved the vs.1-1.5 MCP Pan Fader to the TCP Vol fader, which fits the theme much nicer.
*Changed the Folder Details (Off, Small, Tiny) to be a transparent white to make them much easier to see, without looking crappy.
*Adjusted the brightness of the track in/out button so that it is easier to distinguish from the background.
*Changed the scrollbars to better fit the theme (this is a slightly modified version courtesy of Brice/Cybolic).
*Changed the Rate/transport speed fader.

Located Here: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/159/Eas...s%20vs.1.6.zip

Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #63
Jed

Heh this is just about as exciting as watching Reaper itself develop!

Cheers
Jed
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #64
labyrinth

Default Thoughts On New Transport

I have tried on this before, but have always ended up using either the round Logic style transport or White Tie's Elevator transport. I would love to come up with something that is more theme integrated. Rounded corners, dark, and matte like the theme.

IDEAS?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #65
labyrinth

Default Version 1.7 is ready

The changes on Vs. 1.7:

*Changed the transport quite a bit...it is still the one from White Tie's Elevator, but has been darkened and a 2 pixel black border has been added. I also replaced the text on the rec punch and play sync buttons. (The old one and the round 'Logic-like' one are both in the alt graphics folder)
*Created a more theme integrated scrollbar set. NICE!!!
*Adjusted the toolbar to not look like the icons were up (raised) when they should be down and added a 1 pixel red line around the icons in their on positions.
*Changed the toolbar panel to integrate better with the right side of the theme and added a small black line at the bottom to stand out a bit.
*Changed the beat and measure markers to white and black respectively.
*Repaired the rate fader.

Good stuff, really!!!
Download Here
Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #66
Jed

Woohooo an update to my fav theme - downloading...........

Thanks heaps!

Cheers
Jed
Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #67
labyrinth

Default Preview, any ideas or suggestions?

This is where I am on version 1.8. I decided to take a slightly different approach. Tell me what you think, or if you have some ideas to help it become a masterwork.

Last edited by labyrinth; 05-23-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: wording
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #68
technogremlin

oooooh that toolbar looks mighty schweeet, maybe you can do the transport in the same style. I'm looking at my favorite in the making

Oh, and if you can do all the small buttons in that same semi-flat style it will look even better.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #69
leecow

Keeps getting better, thanks for the work!

The only thing I might like to see changed is a bit more contrast for the selection area. Current color perfectly matches the surrounding elements but that's the problem for me

Lee

Last edited by leecow; 05-23-2008 at 09:43 AM.
leecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #70
drillbit

Default brainstorm session

In repsonse to vesion 1.8

I prefer the solid waveforms. I havn't used it so maybe it works well with big projects, but from here I like the more solid waveforms and the light background. The new buttons are cool, but I thought the old ones were more subtle. Maybe tone down the contrast and darken them. I also think the icons should have a little space around them. Otherwise they look a bit crowded and busy. The 3d effect of them being pressed in is super smooth. I find the lit up transport buttons a little garish in the context of the whole low contrast theme. I love the folder icons and the rate slider. I think the volume sliders on top left tracks should be the same, but with a single pixel stripe of red .

Just some first impressions form a fan
Maybe these brash impressions reinforce something you were thinking.

It's great, I use it !
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #71
labyrinth

I must say that I borrowed the original toolbar here from the original CO27 by DerMetzgermeister. The only think I did was adjust the levels, excluding the blue, to appear more blue when selected. I personally am not very good at creating graphics, only at tweaking/perfecting them to my needs. What I am good at is putting nice colors and concepts together. I'll see if I can go anywhere with the CO27 type graphics (no promises though). I personally like it as is. Oh, BTW, there is nothing selected here...when selected the waves turn blue (a lot of contrast).

In regards to garish on the transport, I adjusted the toolbar for this reason- lowered the brightness and added the 2 pixel border (I personally think it fits)...there is always the round toolbar (Logic like) in the alternate graphics folder (in this theme) if you'd prefer (these were originally Ted Warigo's but I tweaked this a lot and enlarged them too). I tried using the rate fader as the tcp vol faders...I didn't like, but you can use them this way if you like it that way (free world baby!).

How about this tranport (it's from the default, but I changed the contrast and converted the non-color portions to b/w?

Last edited by labyrinth; 05-23-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #72
Deric

labyrinth,

I think that's much better!

Now if you could just release a version with less-loud FX-button colours... (please?)
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #73
Meb

Default This is a great theme...

I love this theme and I like the changes you are making. A couple thoughts. I too, don't really like the fx button colors. Not so much because they are "loud" per say, but more that the current color is too "purplish" looking and doesn't go with the overall blue feeling of the theme. I think if you matched the other blues (I think the blue of the Media Item Background in the screenshot above would be perfect), they would look great. I also think the bypassed dark "purple" is hard on the eyes...which sorta goes against the theme if you know what I mean...

I like the new transport taken from the default theme. Easy to see.

One other thing. I'm also not a big fan of the tcp volume faders. They're not terrible, but not great either. I think I'd prefer smaller versions of the main mixer faders.

Overall, it's a great theme though. Thanks so much for working this hard to perfect it!

-meb

Last edited by Meb; 05-23-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #74
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
labyrinth,

I think that's much better!

Now if you could just release a version with less-loud FX-button colours... (please?)
What do you mean by loud? Are they the wrong tone of blue?

How about this transport from Ocino? (Don't worry I saved the other ones)

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #75
Deric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meb View Post
...I'm also not a big fan of the tcp volume faders...
Yes I agree with that too - but I think using same 'button' as used for the project playrate would be better as a TCP volume fader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meb View Post
...Overall, it's a great theme though. Thanks so much for working this hard to perfect it!
Yeah me too! Thanks (again) labyrinth!

Deric.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #76
Deric

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
What do you mean by loud?...
Sorry - I mean 'The colour stands out too much from the theme as a whole', 'I find them too 'bright' relative to the rest of the theme', and 'The colour/shade/whatever-it's-called that's been chosen doesn't seem consistent with the rest of theme. i.e. (IMO) it doesn't fit/match nicely with the rest of the theme'.

Something like that! Hope that helps!

Edit: I MUCH prefer the 'plain simplicity' of your colour-modded version of WT's default Transport.

Last edited by Deric; 05-23-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added note on additional transport buttons example.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #77
labyrinth

Here is the default I think I will go with for the transport. The modded White Tie 'Default' tranport along with all the others will be in the alternate graphics folder (in the theme). As far as the tcp fader...I'll see if I can improve the rate fader, so I would want to use it as the tcp vol thumb (fader). And as for the color of the fx buttons, I do agree that these stand out, so these too I will look at these. Thanks everyone.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #78
labyrinth

Alright I'm going with the modded default too...good stuff hugh! How about this for a less loud or more theme matching fx on and disabled coloring.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #79
Deric

Personally, I think a more 'balanced' look might be to make the colour of the bypassed FX grey - like the other 'inactive' buttons... It would match better IMO and not stand out at all. Edit: i.e. The other buttons only become a 'non-grey' colour when they are active - so why not the same 'rule' for the FX=active button? i.e. FX=bypass is the same as FX=Off, is the same as Solo=Off, etc.

I tend to prefer as few visual distractions as possible on my DAW interface (expecially if using it all day/night).

For the FX=active I think I'd prefer a more 'muted' tone - perhaps like the colour you've chosen for Folders?

Perhaps, more fittingly, it could be the colour you've used for the active FX themselves? Perhaps that would be ''consistent' as it would tie together the Insert FX with the active FX button...?

Ps. Good choice on the modded WT-Default Transport - it's more in keeping with the rest of your theme compared to the latter 'fancy' one

Last edited by Deric; 05-23-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added clarity.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #80
labyrinth

In regards to it being balanced being gray for the bypassed... it's actually more balanced this way since the offline are not colored and the pronounced are to show inactive...IMHO of course. Although the active is not gray on the FX button and status light or whatnot, it is somewhat on the lines of blue/gray.

Also...I have recently realized that I needed to make the arrange window much lighter, so I will be posting a revision with the changes soon.