Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Quest The Wordsmith
Human being with feelings

Default Whats terrible about Reapers MIDI?

I constantly see posts on the forums here either trashing Reapers MIDI capabilities, or begging users to support some MIDI feature request. In a nutshell, what's so bad about Reapers MIDI?

Granted, I'm not a heavy MIDI user. I play a groove on the keyboard, maybe quantize a bit here and there, edit a note or two's velocity, and I'm done. What are you MIDI power users looking for that Reaper fails at? Am I unaware of a world of MIDI possibilities that would make my creative process bloom? Tell me!

~Quest~
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Satyajit

I am Reaper user since 2008 and I use a midi lot. I dont use hardware midi keyboard but softsynths. I am very satisfied about Reapers midi work. Except score editor Reaper is very good in midi editing and recording.
Satyajit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
digaldeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest The Wordsmith View Post
What are you MIDI power users looking for that Reaper fails at? Am I unaware of a world of MIDI possibilities that would make my creative process bloom? Tell me!
You won't understand until you use FL Studio or another DAW with good MIDI tools for a few weeks. These tools literally make you 100 times better at coming up with new grooves, melodies, and ideas. The more you experiment with these tools, the higher the chance of creating something cool or sparking an idea.

Honestly, I think REAPER's MIDI features will always suck because the developers probably don't care about MIDI stuff. Even the MIDI editor needs a lot of work. I don't think Justin makes MIDI based music and I don't think he is learning from other DAWs like FL Studio.

When Schwa came on board, I thought he could do it. Initially, there were many MIDI improvements but after a while, the focus went back to other things.

I was so stupid. I used to check the Pre-release forum almost everyday, hoping for the MIDI/Automation features that we requested over 4 years ago. The sprinkles of MIDI features every now and then made me think that any day now, we would be blessed with features like groove quanitize or automation clip.

Recently, after seeing OSC on the change log, I did a little research on it and it finally occurred to me that REAPER is going in a different direction than I thought.

After 3 years of fighting with REAPER's MIDI, I gave up and moved back to FL Studio yesterday. It really feels good to use groove quantize, the strum tool, and automation clips again.

I wasted many hours creating numerous macros to deal with the lack of proper MIDI tools and the clumsy behavior of the MIDI editor. It was all a waste of time and I wish I could go back in time and ignore Jason Brian Merrill's 2007 posts on KVR that initially drew me in.

It's kinda sad because REAPER's MIDI has so much potential but the developers seem to think that other features are more important.
digaldeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
chucky5p

Quote:
Originally Posted by digaldeman View Post
You won't understand until you use FL Studio or another DAW with good MIDI tools for a few weeks... Honestly, I think REAPER's MIDI features will always suck because the developers probably don't care about MIDI stuff... It's kinda sad because REAPER's MIDI has so much potential but the developers seem to think that other features are more important.
If none of the current developers use MIDI as an important tool for their song making (is that pure speculation or fact?) then it's obvious that Reaper's MIDI feature set will always stay behind other DAWs that are known to have great MIDI (i.e. Cubase). In certain areas, Reaper’s MIDI is so behind, it’s almost a joke. Heck, MasterTrackPro for the ATARI in the 1990s had groove quantization WHILE RECORDING and it was a pleasure to program MIDI on it! (Did I forget to mention that was in the 1990s?)

http://tamw.atari-users.net/mtpro.htm

Fortunately for me, nowadays I don’t use MIDI extensively so Reaper suits me fine as it is, but I believe that if the developers want Reaper to really become the DAW of choice for the Pros, and even more so for the mass, they should get/add a fourth programmer that would specialize in the MIDI stuff (because he uses it himself extensively). Then within a short period of time, Reaper would RULE!
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

Here's some of my niggles with MIDI in Reaper (quantization is not one of them, I can do without):
  • The thing that bothers me most with Reaper's MIDI is how it handles item splitting through notes. Most often I don't want the note to be split, so I would wish for a possibility to let MIDI notes ring out until it's note of even if that note off comes after the right item edge and just let the note length intact instead.
  • Close second is the way Reaper traces back MIDI CC (and pitch messages etc) only inside the current item. When playback starts mid project Reaper should be aware of the last CC, even if that happened in an item way back.
  • The item-centric handling of MIDI in general is sub-optimal to me.
  • The MIDI filter and the event list are way behind of what they ideally would be. Most missing in the event list are note off messages. If you ever want to tweak note off velocity, the only way to do it with Reaper is using notepad and edit text in the *.rpp file or write a highly complicated Python script (with some system inherent flaws).
  • Lots of actions are missing and ReaScript as well as extension coding for MIDI is not as nicely supported as it could be, so we can only sometimes (and with big effort) help ourselves with that.

If Cockos want to do something really nifty they could add polyphonic pressure editing right in the piano roll. That would have a huge wow factor...

None of these make me use the word terrible, actually there are a bunch of things I like and most of the time I find working with MIDI in Reaper fairly enjoyable (that's more than I can say about the bread and butter editing in Logic (v5.51)) but yeah, that are my pet peeves (and I find more).
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Fex

There's apparently no option to invert a note selection.
I've given up on trying to quantize. I don't know what I'm missing, but it never seems to work.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
CQ7String

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Here's some of my niggles with MIDI in Reaper (quantization is not one of them, I can do without):
[LIST][*]The thing that bothers me most with Reaper's MIDI is how it handles item splitting through notes. Most often I don't want the note to be split, so I would wish for a possibility to let MIDI notes ring out until it's note of even if that note off comes after the right item edge and just let the note length intact instead.
+1 on this.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
jnif

Quote:
In a nutshell, what's so bad about Reapers MIDI?
There are lots of annoying bugs in MIDI editor GUI. Zooming, scrolling, focus, etc.

And MIDI editor's visual appearance and actions/shortcuts/tools are not consistent with arrange view. It is like jumping to another application when you start the MIDI editor.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
There are lots of annoying bugs in MIDI editor GUI. Zooming, scrolling, focus, etc.

And MIDI editor's visual appearance and actions/shortcuts/tools are not consistent with arrange view. It is like jumping to another application when you start the MIDI editor.
In addition to this, other DAWs have utilities and tools that help certain MIDI workflows. Users come to accept these as normal features and it's disheartening to have to work without them in REAPER.

I find REAPER's MIDI to be perfectly useable, but there are certain tools I'd love to see, eg a feature to unselect every other note in a selection (or leave every third or fourth note selected). I'd like thus because I program drums, but there are more things requested by deeper MIDI users.

>
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
dr_After

Maybe MIDI lacks some actions (like restricting polyphony as in Cubase, but I am just finishing my long-play album that was made entirely in Reaper and is based in 90 percent on MIDI stuff. No problems at all. I don't find Reaper MIDI workflow significantly slower than in Cubase.

...Until You don't record MIDI in takes (and face auto-splitting horror)
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post

jnif
THIS... eg. why does CTRL D repeat items on the arrange page and the when you open midi editor and highlight some notes and hit CTRL D, instead of repeating said midi notes, IT REPEATS ITEMS ON THE ARRANGE PAGE. UGH... horrible.
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Jae.Thomas

been using it for 5+ years now, after I ditched FLstudio and Samplitude. It needs work, but it does what I need it to do, faster than any other host.

I am leery about midi recording with a drummer, however. I think there needs some important improvements in that area.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I am leery about midi recording with a drummer, however.
Why? I record midi only on all the drums in all my songs. Press record, play something on V-Drums that are triggering Superior Drummer 2 in Reaper. Rewind, hit play, and it sounds like what I played while recording.

If I don't like the way it sounds, then I use Reaper's killer midi correction tool, "<Ctrl-Z> <W> <Ctrl-R>".
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Why? I record midi only on all the drums in all my songs. Press record, play something on V-Drums that are triggering Superior Drummer 2 in Reaper. Rewind, hit play, and it sounds like what I played while recording.

If I don't like the way it sounds, then I use Reaper's killer midi correction tool, "<Ctrl-Z> <W> <Ctrl-R>".
there are quite a few different threads about it...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilsner View Post
THIS... eg. why does CTRL D repeat items on the arrange page and the when you open midi editor and highlight some notes and hit CTRL D, instead of repeating said midi notes, IT REPEATS ITEMS ON THE ARRANGE PAGE. UGH... horrible.
It can be set up in actions menu, but i can't figure out how to duplicate a time range not just selected notes
Attached Files
File Type: reaperkeymap Duplicate notes.ReaperKeyMap (142 Bytes, 261 views)

Last edited by Viente; 03-02-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
chrisharbin

OP: Does that answer your question?
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
It can be set up in actions menu, but i can't figure out how to duplicate a time range not just selected notes
Following macro is supposed to work if you have loop points linked to time selection.

Move cursor to end of loop
Edit: Copy events within project time selection, if any (smart copy)
Loop points: Set start point
Edit: Paste
Loop points: Set end point

But it does not work because there seems to be some bug in the first action.
See video in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=98058

[rant mode = on]
And even if this macro was working this would be still an example of inconsistency between arrange view and MIDI editor.
Users should not need to create custom actions for simple operations like duplicate.

Reaper is quite famous of its customization capabilities. But there is a big risk that you will spend days or even weeks just customizing Reaper. And still you will not get the result that you would like to have. First the overwhelming list of actions looks like "Wow, I can do everything with these actions". But after spending some time creating macros you will notice that many actions are missing. Then you install SWS and hope that the missing actions can be found there. SWS might help in some cases but there are still many actions missing, especially in MIDI Editor.

For example I tried to create a set of custom macros for MIDI step recording. My target was to have same kind of fast and flexible step recording workflow as in Pro Tools. After about one week of fiddling with custom actions and shortcut key assignments I gave up. It was impossible to achieve similar fluent workflow as in Pro Tools.

And recently I have stumbled into a similar roadblock when trying to create consistent navigation/edit keyboard shortcuts for arrange view and MIDI Editor. In my opinion the default set of keyboard shortcuts is terrible, very far from consistent. And it seems that it is again impossible to create consistent workflow with currently available actions. In this case I tried to do just basic things like zoom, scroll, move edit cursor, move time/loop selection, select items/notes, move items/notes, etc.
[rant mode = off]

jnif

Last edited by jnif; 03-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #18
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Yeah I guess my point is why isn't it just CTRL D like on the arrange page, other DAWS seem to stick with that convention, would seem simple really, that said, it's not going to kill me hehe
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Boray

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91344

Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
This question pops up often huh?

Nothing "wrong" per se, you can get the job done. What some people (subjectively) don't like about it is that it's a bit of a patchwork. The only "major" remaining issue (imo) is multitrack midi editing. The other stuff is mostly smaller subjective stuff.

Of course they all have their flaws and when you really like something and/or are productive with something it's much easier to overlook defects... so the question keeps coming up because (apparently) there is a good sized group of people who aren't that comfortable with Reaper's midi.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
This question pops up often huh?

Nothing "wrong" per se, you can get the job done. What some people (subjectively) don't like about it is that it's a bit of a patchwork. The only "major" remaining issue (imo) is multitrack midi editing. The other stuff is mostly smaller subjective stuff.

Of course they all have their flaws and when you really like something and/or are productive with something it's much easier to overlook defects... so the question keeps coming up because (apparently) there is a good sized group of people who aren't that comfortable with Reaper's midi.

If you like it... why worry about how others feel about it?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
benmrx

Can only speak for myself, but my biggest gripe is the lack of specific data/event selection. In most other DAW's (even PT), you can select MIDI data based on a number of criteria. Things like velocity, pitch, grid position, etc, and more importantly you can select data on MULTIPLE criteria.

In Pro Tools I can easily take some triad chords and split all top/bottom notes to new tracks. VERY different than splitting by pitch as it's splitting based on the Chord. Then there's the whole notion of editing multiple items simultaniously...., and even more, editing MIDI as a track based operation as opposed to an item based operation.

I LOVE so many things about Reaper and even some of the MIDI features that I don't see anywhere else..., but it's still missing some more basic functions IMO.
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
bigearz

My biggest gripe is the lack of integration with the main window navigation commands. It took me a week to set up the 'pass through' commands for the MIDI editor. That's something I always took for granted, and which made the Reaper implementation feel amateurish.

Another is the issue of timing when using an external synth. For some reason, VSTi's play very well with Reaper's MIDI. But when you're sending MIDI to an external synth and you change an audio event on the fly, the MIDI timing will stutter. This doesn't happen in Cubase.

One other is synchonization with an external sequencer. Very disappointing performance.

One thing I love is the dual quantize ability. I've got shortcuts set up for both 'grid' and 'last quantize setting.' It's nice to be able to have the main quantize set for say 8th note swing, and use the 'grid' shortcut to quantize the triplets.
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
Lawrence

One thing I personally don't like re: editing midi is the latency with the mouse. It's odd because Reaper seems to be the only app that does that. Let me explain...

1. Audio card set to 2048 buffer. I'll be clicking in notes.
2. The latency shows up on mouse click. ??

In my other apps the latency only shows up on midi input, not when clicking on the screen. So doing that in Reaper, I click a drum in EZD and I don't hear it until 50ms later... which is a bit off-putting. Same with the piano roll keys or live audition when editing.

In every other host (well, the ones I've used anyway) the sound on mouse click is immediate.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
hypermonkey1984

I really don't like how the midi editor only lets you edit one item at a time. There's no advantage to it at all. Reaper has a philosophy of never adding unnecessary limits. So why did they add that limit? Instead the midi editor should open on a focus of the item that you double-clicked and then allow you to scroll to see any midi on that track.

I'm also really irritated by the CC manipulation. Particularly velocity. When I want to change velocity I need to drag the velocity up or down. But if two notes happen at the same time the there is no way to click the velocity behind the velocity in the front.
hypermonkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
V'ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermonkey1984 View Post
I'm also really irritated by the CC manipulation. Particularly velocity. When I want to change velocity I need to drag the velocity up or down. But if two notes happen at the same time the there is no way to click the velocity behind the velocity in the front.
Just select the note(s) you want to edit and any drags is done to those only. Or simply hold down the alt key and click drag up/down the note.
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #27
ugh

Quote:
I constantly see posts on the forums here either trashing Reapers MIDI capabilities, or begging users to support some MIDI feature request. In a nutshell, what's so bad about Reapers MIDI?

Granted, I'm not a heavy MIDI user. I play a groove on the keyboard, maybe quantize a bit here and there, edit a note or two's velocity, and I'm done. What are you MIDI power users looking for that Reaper fails at? Am I unaware of a world of MIDI possibilities that would make my creative process bloom? Tell me!

~Quest~
The Piano-Roll editor is a bit clumsy imo, but apart from that I am quite satisfied.
My music ist mostly midi based and I get along well.
It could be better, but I don't mind too much.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
...My music ist mostly midi based and I get along well.
It could be better, but I don't mind too much.
The MIDI editor or the music..?

>
Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #29
ivansc

Behave, Nathan!

I have to say that most of the MIDI moans I have are covered in the outstanding FRs, but overall I am slowly coming to terms with the shortcomings.
It is STILL usually quicker to limp along in Reaper than fire up my Amiga1200 and BPP, although if it gets to be anything than the most basic cut n paste, that is STILL what I do.
Reaper is worth putting up with the bad bits, regardless.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
ThePriest

About latency and buffer size IMO a big buffer is nonsense.... we should have 1 sample buffers, not 2048.
16 buffers of 16 samples are probably better than 1 buffer of 256 samples.
Quote:
Quoted from VolumeShaper VST manual.

Due to limitations of the VST specification, parameter changes (via
automation, via drawing in the wave area or via moving of knobs)
do not happen on a per-sample basis. Instead, parameters are only
updated once before an audio buffer is processed. The next parameter
update happens before the next audio buffer is processed.
In short, parameter changes are quantized to the size of the audio
buffer, which is set in the preferences of your VST host or in the
settings of your audio interface.
So setting small buffer sizes gives you a smoother control, but might
drastically increase the CPU consumption for some plugins. This is
also true for VolumeShaper, especially when moving points in the
wave area.
If i remember correctly something similar is said in the VST SDK.

Last edited by ThePriest; 03-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
ThePriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #31
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
The MIDI editor or the music..?

>

ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #32
donchilcott

Quote:

~Quest~
I have used many sequencing programs, many of them long before digital audio was used. I was a beta tester for Cakewalk, Personal Composer and Texture. I have used Cakewalk/Sonar mostly for many years. I find the editing in Sonar far easier than in Reaper. I have tried to switch completely over to Reaper but in truth when I an in a jam and need quick response I use Sonar. I see how defensive many loyal Reaper users get and actually choose to put it gently how poor I find midi editing in Resper. My problem is I am quite spoiled by and used to Sonar. With Sonar it's easy to highlight tracks, sections of tracks, several tracks and then I use one simple pull down menu to Quantize, transpise, groove quantize etc. it's simple, whatever you have highlighted is effected. One track, several clips, one clip, several tracks, whatever. I can 't help thinking that Justin/the powers that be will become convinced that midinis important enough to put effort into and improve. I want to see Reaper become the industry standard, I don't like PT. i bought my license, I continue to read the manual, watch training videos and I use Reaper often as I can. I have a Video project to score and Reaper won't load the Video file. I posted questions, got a few suggestions but the video file Ivhave still won't load in Reaper. It's an AVI so installing all the codecs I was told to install resll aren 't fot AVI. I don't do a lot of video scoring so the most common annoyance I have is trying to get a decent workflow with midi. I'm a terrible keyboard player so the way I have to deal with takes/lanes is very slow for me. I find it easier to rerecord parts instead of editing but I end up with a bunch of lanes that I don't want. I know that no Daw is going to be perfect for everyone so I'll just continue to Support Reaper, learn it well and keep asking for the inprovements I want :-)
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote