Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default List of the different audio editors you can use in 'EXTERNAL EDITOR'?

Let's start a list of compatible EXTERNAL audio editors; as well was ones that have problems. Can anyone shine any insight on the basic parameters or how the external editor works. Have you used any workarounds too? Thanks in advance.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Glennbo

I have Audacity installed, but never configured it to be an external editor for REAPER, but I'm guessing it could be.

Edit: Audacity does work putting /usr/bin/audacity in as the external editor.

Mostly I setup Audacity to grab audio from streaming so I can fire it up and grab anything that's playing through my audio monitors.

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-29-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I have Audacity installed, but never configured it to be an external editor for REAPER, but I'm guessing it could be.

Edit: Audacity does work putting /usr/bin/audacity in as the external editor.

Mostly I setup Audacity to grab audio from streaming so I can fire it up and grab anything that's playing through my audio monitors.
Hey Buddy! Yea Audacity works like a breeze. Right click - open up in external editor (a copy if you want) Audacity automatically opens up with a copy of your audio clip from Reaper - through effects on - on click back into Reaper exactly above the original clips position in your Daw - great and simple... good stuff.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #4
biopsin

[GTK2]
Using Sweep as external audio editor @
http://www.metadecks.org/software/sweep/
https://github.com/kfish/sweep

Mostly because it's the only one supporting gtk2, wich I have no hurry to move from any time soon. Also it relies on minimal dependencies.
Yea it's old and some stuff like recording is none working and I had to patch here and there to fix things. But just can't part from it having tested the alternatives.

[QT5]
Ocenaudio audio editor @
https://www.ocenaudio.com/
Old 12-30-2020, 04:15 AM   #5
Charango

I was wondering why you would want to open up an external editor like Audacity. Are there things it can do that Reaper can't? I have it set up as external editor (thanks Glennbo for indicating the path!) but don't see the need for it.
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
vitalker

Wavosaur also: https://www.wavosaur.com/
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
I was wondering why you would want to open up an external editor like Audacity. Are there things it can do that Reaper can't? I have it set up as external editor (thanks Glennbo for indicating the path!) but don't see the need for it.
I don't see a need for it either, which was why I never tried setting it up before. Destructive edits and Linux plugins that aren't VSTs might be a couple things REAPER doesn't do.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
Mikobuntu

If only Linux had a native Melodyne version, this would be worth opening up.

I experimented with both Audacity ( worked perfectly ) and Sweep ( Alsa that I was running Reaper through was blocking Sweep, but the GUI was working )
Tried for an experiment opening Bitwig as the audio editor, but it was complaining about ASCII strings or something like that )

Has anyone tried opening a w.i.n.e audio editor or even the Melodyne running in w.i.n.e through the External editor? ( can't test as I've borked my wine install at the moment and cant get Melodyne to run anymore. )
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Charango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikobuntu View Post
Tried for an experiment opening Bitwig as the audio editor, but it was complaining about ASCII strings or something like that )
Yes, I tried too and got the same error.

Quote:
Has anyone tried opening a w.i.n.e audio editor..
Yes, I just tried through wine with an old version of Soundforge I have and it wouldn't open.
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Has anyone tried opening a w.i.n.e audio editor or even the Melodyne running in w.i.n.e through the External editor? ( can't test as I've borked my wine install at the moment and cant get Melodyne to run anymore. )
Quote:
Yes, I just tried through wine with an old version of Soundforge I have and it wouldn't open.
I think the issue using a Windows editor in WINE will be the same problem that EZ-Drummer has with dragging and dropping drum patterns. The Windows side doesn't know anything at all about the true Linux side it's running under, and where temporary files are used for dragging and dropping, or audio clips with editors, the temp files get dropped on the fake drive C: and native Linux REAPER isn't expecting them to be there.

Most likely the same script that makes EZ-Drummer work, could be modified to find the temporary audio file for a Windows audio editor to open, modify, and eventually pass back to native Linux REAPER.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:03 AM   #11
4duhwinnn

Can a few of you please test Audacity by zooming in deep, and trying to work the left and right < > scrolling gadgets below the waveform? In Audacity
2.1 they work OK. You click and hold, and the wave is scrolled smoothly so you can find breaks, grace-notes, spikes that need an operation, placement of items to paste etc etc

In the current and last few Audacity versions, they are useless. No useful movement available. Someone said there is a problem if audacity is 'built' with gtk3.

And in some system gui's, the gadgets are actually nonexistant.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Glennbo

Audacity 2.3.3 here, and all I see is a standard scroll bar below the waveform, but if I hold shift and scroll, it goes into higher precision scrolling.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
4duhwinnn

I have a 2.3.3 in Ubuntu Studio 20.04, and the problem is when you are zoomed in deeply, (see the pic) you're stuck using a mouse on a scrollbar, and the slightest nudge rockets you past what you wanted to see, and what the older versions allow you to see just by click/hold the left or right scroll gadget, that has it's scroll speed related to the amount of zoom.

You can see the left-scroll gadget in the pic, but clicking it
does nothing. I boot an older distro with 2.21 for serious editing.

Happy 2021, keep crankin out the tunes!
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #14
s wave

Quote:
In essence your do not need anything else - but it is NICE... work flow... or to not mess with your track settings... or just TESTING a clip with some REVERB... workflow... making an alternate copy of a clip etc... It is all taste - I really LOVE the external editor ~ tc
Old 12-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #15
s wave

If you are into lofi and nice destruction or glitch - AUDACITY is amazing... for this - you can just gear it down to say 1.2 bits on say a vocal clip - it is much easier than trying to get Reaper to downsample even to .85 bits... pm just one clip! etc.