Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
ufug
Human being with feelings

Default What is the future of Reaper for Linux?

Hi all. Long time Linux user/musician, new to Reaper.

I'd been meaning to check out Reaper for a long time, but as soon as I dove in I became addicted. It's so easy to use and deep with features at the same time, and it runs so light. I'm blown away. I'm already deep into a couple projects on it and after a week I got a license.

Just curious if anyone here knows if Linux-native Reaper is going to be around for awhile? Is the idea that "experimental" will become a regular version along with Windows and Mac at some point? Or is it in some kind of limbo?

Just not sure what experimental means in this context. It seems to work perfectly.

Cheers.
ufug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
PMan

I don't have a crystal ball or an inside track with the devs, but I'll tell you this: I passed up Reaper for... another commercial DAW 4 or 5 years ago because the Linux build was "experimental".

I wish I had ignored that label. I bought a license probably 2 years ago and I've never looked back. My guess is Reaper native on Linux is here to stay, regardless of the "experimental" label. There's even an Arm architecture Reaper build (for hardware like the Raspberry PI).

There are lots of Linux-native plugins: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244854

and Behringer hardware/software supports Linux...

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0AWN

It's a great time to do Linux...
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Glennbo

Six out of seven machines know what the future of Linux is in my house!

I switched my main DAW machine to Linux two years ago, and haven't looked back. Since then, I've switched all but one Windows machine over to Linux, and I have no plan of ever going back.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
EcBaPr

Linux really should be the default OS for creative work.. there are many distributions now that are user friendly enough, it just needs a handful of the larger companies to buy in and the snowball effect would start.. A big one would be Pro Tools, that would at least start the conversation with other companies..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:47 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
There's even an Arm architecture Reaper build (for hardware like the Raspberry PI).
. Reaper runs on a RasPi
- There already is Reaper for ARM based macs.
- We will see ARM enabled MAC plugins from companies like Native instruments.
- We can run Windows Plunins in Reaper on Linux.

Any chance to run ARM enabled MAC plugins in Reaper on a RasPi some day soon ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
- We can run Windows Plunins in Reaper on Linux.

do you mean any window VST plugins or just cockos plugins ? if you can run any windows ones, whats the process involved with installing them ? I have been thinking about trying Reaper for Linux, if it could run any windows VSTs that would make it very appealing..
Old 12-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
do you mean any window VST plugins or just cockos plugins ? if you can run any windows ones, whats the process involved with installing them ? I have been thinking about trying Reaper for Linux, if it could run any windows VSTs that would make it very appealing..
You can install Windows plugins in WINE, and once they are installed, you can use LinVST to bridge between the native Linux version of REAPER to the Windows plugins running in WINE.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
EcBaPr

cool.. id heard of the WINE method but wasn't sure if mschnell was referring to something else.. does WINE mostly work for all plugins or is it hit and miss ?
Old 12-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Native Linux-Reaper is quite stable for most, but not for all. On my machine, the buttons all miss texts and I don't know if I just messed up installation of the distro I'm using or Reaper has a bug.

On the other hand, many users, including Justin himself to my knowledge, use Reaper on Linux successfully.
So the easiest is to try it out. If it works, it probably works very stable.
And if it doesn't, the Wine-option is also possible, as mentioned in the thread.
The latter was the goto-choice of many Reaper users before any native Linux-version was available at all.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
Native Linux-Reaper is quite stable for most, but not for all. On my machine, the buttons all miss texts and I don't know if I just messed up installation of the distro I'm using or Reaper has a bug.
That sounds like a resolution issue. Are you using some other DPI scaling than 100% or using a 4k monitor? I used to work for a company that implemented live picture capturing in their software, and if a user had Windows set for something like 125% DPI scaling it would throw UI elements off their targets.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
ufug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
I don't have a crystal ball or an inside track with the devs, but I'll tell you this: I passed up Reaper for... another commercial DAW 4 or 5 years ago because the Linux build was "experimental".

I wish I had ignored that label. I bought a license probably 2 years ago and I've never looked back. My guess is Reaper native on Linux is here to stay, regardless of the "experimental" label.
Sounds good--I'm just going to ignore the word. I'm not really too worried about it, any software project can disappear at any time anyway. Just curious what the reasoning was behind "experimental" and not beta or official or what have you.

These are all great responses, thanks. I've already been making music on Linux since ~2006 (it's gotten waaaay easier since then) so I'm all stocked with my regular plugins etc. Native LV2 support would be nice but everything works fine with Carla. I don't use Wine or any Windows stuff.

I haven't had any Reaper crashes at all, although it's disconnected from JACK a few times. Quitting Reaper, restarting JACK then Reaper has fixed it. If it keeps happening I'll be back with a new post.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
Held

My only issue with Reaper on Linux is the tiny font size in menus on my 4k screen. You can increase the font size, but then the text overflows and becomes unreadable. I hope that gets fixed soon.

I use wine with linvst and it works for most plugins, although there are sometimes issues with the GUI.

The only plugins that I couldn't get to run so far are using iLok, so if you have a lot of plugins which use that, there might be some problems. Some people have been successful, though.

I mainly use MeldaProduction plugins with linvst and they are quite stable and usable.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufug View Post
Just not sure what experimental means in this context.
https://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=4844
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #14
ufug

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
HA! Fair enough.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #15
lucianoiam

In my setup there are two things that still justify the "experimental" label:

1. Not rock solid for low latency playing. RME AIO @ 32 samples, no xruns running Bitwig even under high CPU load and tinkering with its UI. There is something going on with CPU usage that makes REAPER throw lots of xruns when manipulating the UI under low latencies. For example when scrolling the tracks view. It is perfectly reproducible, also happens when popping some dialogs. This also does not happen on Ardour, nor on macOS and Windows versions of REAPER, exactly same hardware (triple boot box...)

2. JACK MIDI ports mapping keep shuffling in the MIDI Devices configuration. If you own several USB controllers and swap their ports often or by accident, the port-to-ID mappings are useless.

These bugs might be minor for general use cases like recording but for live performance setups both are very annoying. I paid for a license knowing REAPER is officially unsupported on Linux but still love it and would pay extra for these bugs to get fixed . Bitwig is stupidly flawless on all platforms but it costs 200 euro and comes packed with stuff I don't need.

LV2 support would be neat as well.

Besides these observations REAPER on Linux feels ready for production and absolutely rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufug View Post

Just not sure what experimental means in this context. It seems to work perfectly.

Last edited by lucianoiam; 01-13-2021 at 04:02 AM.
lucianoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #16
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianoiam View Post
2. JACK MIDI ports mapping keep shuffling in the MIDI Devices configuration. If you own several USB controllers and swap their ports often or by accident, the port-to-ID mappings are useless.
I also had this issue for a long time, but I found a solution some time ago. You can tell the usb-audio module to load your devices in a specific order.
This is on Manjaro, but I think it should be the same on most distros

Get the pid & vid of your usb devices:

$lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c33a Logitech, Inc. G413 Gaming Keyboard
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 046d:c539 Logitech, Inc. USB Receiver
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 31e9:0002 Solid State Logic SSL 2+
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 1235:0135 Focusrite-Novation Launchkey MK3 37

Create a new file with the following content (replace the pid&vid values with your own).

/etc/modprobe.d/usb_order.conf
options snd_usb_audio index=2,3,4,5 vid=0x31e9,0x046d,0x1235,0x09e8 pid=0x0002,0x0843,0x0135,0x0028

When you reboot now, the order won't be random anymore.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #17
lucianoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I also had this issue for a long time, but I found a solution some time ago. You can tell the usb-audio module to load your devices in a specific order.
This is on Manjaro, but I think it should be the same on most distros
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. It works but still does not handle the hotplug case. For example starting with two connected USB devices:

Device A @ ID n
Device B @ ID n+1

Physically disconnect both, then turn on B, then A, result:

Device B @ ID n
Device A @ ID n+1

Have you tried this? Running Ubuntu here but can confirm usb_order.conf is picked up correctly.
lucianoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #18
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianoiam View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. It works but still does not handle the hotplug case. For example starting with two connected USB devices:

Device A @ ID n
Device B @ ID n+1

Physically disconnect both, then turn on B, then A, result:

Device B @ ID n
Device A @ ID n+1

Have you tried this? Running Ubuntu here but can confirm usb_order.conf is picked up correctly.
Yeah, it's the same here. This only works on boot.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:37 AM   #19
Leo777

Reaper is an excellent DAW, and it is definitely worth every penny. When I decided to try myself in audio recording, I was a student and didn't have money. I remember I started working to afford to buy the necessary software and devices (fortunately, guys from https://writinguniverse.com/research-topics/ agreed to help me). At first, I only use Linux to make music. The set-up is more difficult than Windows/Mac but is much customizable too and you can "mod" your system from inside for better audio performance than other closed OSs. I heard from many people that it's so much easier to do it on Windows and you will spend half of your time figuring out how to make stuff work instead of actually making music. As people prefer simplicity, I'm not sure, Reaper on Linux has a big future.

Last edited by Leo777; 10-21-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Leo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #20
mschnell

To me it's hard to understand why most "primary" plugin suppliers don't do Linux versions, but just Windows and Mac.

E.g. there is no Kontakt for Linux. But this said, there also is no Kontakt for the Mac M1. No native version at all and it's not specified for Rosetta in a native DAW and not even specified for running in an x86 DAW that runs in Rosetta

"Reaper on Linux has a big future." IMHO only if plugin suppliers follow,
In fact Apple is doing a good job against Linux with their new boxes such as Mac Mini M1, regarding their Price Performance ration being better than with most Windows boxes. (And AFAIU, Logic included ?!?!?)

-Michael
Old 10-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
To me it's hard to understand why most "primary" plugin suppliers don't do Linux versions, but just Windows and Mac.

E.g. there is no Kontakt for Linux. But this said, there also is no Kontakt for the Mac M1. No native version at all and it's not specified for Rosetta in a native DAW and not even specified for running in an x86 DAW that runs in Rosetta
I've been using Kontakt in Linux for over three years now. If Native Instruments were to make a native version for Linux, they could indeed extract more dollars from my wallet, but if they never do, it's not stopping me from using Kontakt in Linux anyway. From my perspective of using Kontakt natively in Windows and bridged in Linux, I see zero difference in performance, and I frequently will have three to five instances of Kontakt running.

Quote:
"Reaper on Linux has a big future." IMHO only if plugin suppliers follow,
In fact Apple is doing a good job against Linux with their new boxes such as Mac Mini M1, regarding their Price Performance ration being better than with most Windows boxes. (And AFAIU, Logic included ?!?!?)

-Michael
I just installed Manjaro/ARM on my Raspberry Pi yesterday, and quickly found out that some of the ARM plugins I have that run fine on Raspberry Pi OS, don't work on an aarch64 OS. The thing that offset that was I could install all the x42 plugins from the native software app, which gave me my favorite x42 peak limiter, and the very decent Hammond B3 instrument. Very impressed with Manjaro/ARM on the Pi, and plan to see how far I can get with REAPER running on it.

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-21-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #22
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo777 View Post
Reaper is an excellent DAW, and it is definitely worth every penny. When I decided to try myself in audio recording, I was a student and didn't have money. I remember I started working to afford to buy the necessary software and devices (fortunately, guys from https://writinguniverse.com/research-topics/ agreed to help me). At first, I only use Linux to make music. The set-up is more difficult than Windows/Mac but is much customizable too and you can "mod" your system from inside for better audio performance than other closed OSs. I heard from many people that it's so much easier to do it on Windows and you will spend half of your time figuring out how to make stuff work instead of actually making music. As people prefer simplicity, I'm not sure, Reaper on Linux has a big future.
I agree with you about the following:

"The set-up is more difficult than Windows/Mac but is much customizable too and you can "mod" your system from inside for better audio performance than other closed OSs."

This is the crux of Linux Audio. It's more difficult but more flexible too. It is very rewarding to those who are willing to put in the effort.

To make an analogy using a different industry. I know many, many people who have a favorite sportscar in their garage that they work on and race. It's their favorite project, and you'll see them in their garage after hours working on it as their hobby. Some restore a classic model to make it look and work like the original. Some soup up their car and race it against others to see who can get the fastest vehicle. Some go the other way and try to get the most mileage out of a tank of gas. Some even go electric and power their systems using alternative fuel sources. But most commonly, they use the vehicle they've always wanted as their normal daily driver. They each have their own reasons why they choose the special vehicle they choose, but the tinkering to make the vehicle special is half the fun.

I've been a member of KVRAudio since the very beginning. My 20th anniversary on that forum group comes up in April of 2022. I have followed the popularity of Linux since the early nineties. Linux is more popular now than it has ever been in the past. I've tried using Linux since the days when the entire program fit on two 3.5 inch floppies and had no GUI interface. About 10 years ago, I stopped using Windows at home and began using Linux as my daily driver. Back then, it Linux wasn't ready. It was beyond hard to get things set up, and there were not enough "real" tools to get any actual work done with audio. But times have changed.

We now have several legitimate DAW choices. We now have lots of open source software. We now have companies like Uhe, Tal-Software, and DiscoDSP supporting Linux. Each year, more very respected synths and tools get released for Linux. We've got plugins like Zebra, Diva, Ubik, Tal-Sampler, Tal-U-No-LX, Tal-J-8, Discovery Pro and Bliss sampler.....and much much more available to run natively on Linux. It is now entirely possible to run a professional, fully fledged Pro Audio studio on Linux, using native Linux plugins, on pro-grade DAW software!

We have never had it as good as we do now. Furthermore, I have never seen the amount of legitimate interest in Linux on KVRAudio as I have in the last couple of years. If you go and do a search on the forums for the term "Linux", you will find that it is in the conversations that take place there daily, and it increasingly legitimized. It is being taken seriously by more and more people, and more and more people are successfully trying it out. Many who have been trying it out have stayed.

Personally, I think things are better than they ever used to be, and I think they are only going to continue to get better for Linux Pro Audio. Yes, there are some who fear technology and are only interested the easiest, least technical ways to get their music done, and are afraid of the technology they use--they're called Mac users.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #23
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
....The only plugins that I couldn't get to run so far are using iLok, so if you have a lot of plugins which use that, there might be some problems. Some people have been successful, though.

I mainly use MeldaProduction plugins with linvst and they are quite stable and usable.
If you are using WINE along with that, that is a known shortcoming of WINE, no USB passthrough from the system. I think it is being worked on but no completion date
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #24
PMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo777 View Post
Reaper is an excellent DAW, and it is definitely worth every penny... As people prefer simplicity, I'm not sure, Reaper on Linux has a big future.
That depends on *who* you are talking about, when you say "people prefer simplicity". If you look through the ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum, you will see many people who are clearly "music professionals". And they write JS plugins. I'm not saying they all use Linux - most of them don't, but their main concern is functionality, not simplicity. They want to know if they can do what they need to do to get their work done, *quickly*.

Some users have migrated from ProTools to Reaper, and written JSFX scripts to add certain ProTools functionality to Reaper. That takes time effort. It is not simple.

On the other hand, many people, probably the largest number of people, want to buy some stuff, put it together, and boom! music happens. There is a price for that ease - vendor lock-in, less functionality, loss of privacy, and high costs. My guess is that people don't know/don't care.

My point is this; yes, the largest number of people "prefer simplicity". I don't know what the Reaper devs think, but my guess is that:
1 Reaper is not going away - the devs and the code are stable
2 Reaper for Linux is not going away - they recently *added* support for LV2
- they are actively supporting non-mainstream technologies

At the end of the day, you should choose the platform that works for *you*
- not what I use
- not what you see in flashy youtube videos

Native Reaper on Linux is not going away. That concern should not be factor in what you choose to use.

*Peace*
Old 10-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #25
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
From my perspective of using Kontakt natively in Windows and bridged in Linux, I see zero difference in performance, and I frequently will have three to five instances of Kontakt running.
That is what I assumed and good to see it confirmed.

But when talking "future" I fear it's more about user experience and not that much about technical aspects. And if not supported by the plugin vendors, the common user will see any multi-step installation procedure a nogo.

(Great stuff, your Pi project ! Maybe we one day can do decent self-contained instruments based on that...)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-21-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #26
Wallaby

Default Computer future

If Reaper has a future on Linux ?
Yes as long you have a computer running.
I thinkk it's more a question of how long will computers be available for running Linux ?
Computer components makers offers towards gaming industry, one day you won't be able to find a motherboard for Linux anymore, as Linux is not a money-making industry.
Linux people use Ardur and tons of free Linux plugins, why should one put effort in developing Linux software for customers that don't want to pay ?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #27
pax-eterna

Extremely left field here, but I'd like to see a Linux system one can install to mobile devices - IE phones, tablets, iPads....to replace either Android or jail-broken iOS devices.

Not sure it could ever happen with Apple, but as Android is supposed to be a bit more open, maybe on its devices perhaps??
Old 10-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #28
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Extremely left field here, but I'd like to see a Linux system one can install to mobile devices - IE phones, tablets, iPads....to replace either Android or jail-broken iOS devices.

Not sure it could ever happen with Apple, but as Android is supposed to be a bit more open, maybe on its devices perhaps??
just released
https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/

still.. it is not the same as Android... it doesn't replace it... YET! heh.. but it is cool to have a solid Linux computer on your phone
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #29
obx777

For years I wanted an all Linux setup. Gravitated to Ubuntu because it was easy. But getting my old M-Audio sound card working was a challenge.

And after a while it seemed like everything was experimental. Installing this, installing that, Sudo this and that, missing libraries. Installing things that I had no idea what they were because someone posted a list of things to put into terminal and hit enter no knowing what I was even installing. It was a hassle and confusing.

I'm back here now trying to spread the message that those days are gone if you want them to be.

Using Ubuntu Studio 64, both a USB interface (Line 6 HX stomp or a Behringer UCM202HD) a simple selection in Ubuntu Studio Controls to select the USB device and worked! Line 6 does not want to support Linux so got a Linux plugin that IMO sounds better than Helix anyway and offers more tools.

And then a simple Reaper Install instruction from YouTube and was up and running! Heck easier than Windows or IOS!! Getting the theme of my choice was easy to do for Reaper too, just open the theme file and its installed! And now native drums and guitar that I have been harping on. I am in love with the new Linux studio here.

Think things are looking up and am grateful that Reaper supports Linux (note: I am a registered user just did not register my install in case I ever get called out on the videos). Also grateful for the quick response and support that was provided here by the forum members. Thank you!
obx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #30
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
just released
https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/

still.. it is not the same as Android... it doesn't replace it... YET! heh.. but it is cool to have a solid Linux computer on your phone
Wow! That is cool...a long way off though. I must admit, I've never heard of it though! But it is cool
Old 10-21-2021, 10:23 PM   #31
mschnell

Quote:
I'd like to see a Linux system one can install to mobile devices - IE phones, tablets, iPads....to replace either Android or jail-broken iOS devices.
Android is based on Linux.
Technically, it in fact is a Linux distribution in a similar way as Debian and many others. Just targeting a different usage range.
In fact you can run non-android Linux programs on Android devices without installing another OS. Native Linux Apps even can use Open GL for rendering graphics without using the Android GUI API.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-22-2021 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:44 AM   #32
Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
If Reaper has a future on Linux ?
Yes as long you have a computer running.
I thinkk it's more a question of how long will computers be available for running Linux ?
Computer components makers offers towards gaming industry, one day you won't be able to find a motherboard for Linux anymore, as Linux is not a money-making industry.

Valve is very invested in making games available on Linux and their new portable console is running Arch Linux.

If anything, more manufactures are willing to develop drivers for Linux whereas in the past, all the work was done by volunteers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Linux people use Ardur and tons of free Linux plugins, why should one put effort in developing Linux software for customers that don't want to pay ?
Are you saying that none of the Linux users here paid for their REAPER license? Some people use Linux because it's actually better, not just because it's free.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #33
PMan

"Some people use Linux because it's actually better, not just because it's free."

Exactly - I paid for my Reaper license.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #34
Glennbo

Quote:
That is what I assumed and good to see it confirmed.

But when talking "future" I fear it's more about user experience and not that much about technical aspects. And if not supported by the plugin vendors, the common user will see any multi-step installation procedure a nogo.
Users of Windows had to learn the ropes, and it's no different with Linux. The thing you want is for Linux to be Windows, so you can just install all your Windows plugins and they work, but that ain't never gonna happen because it's a different OS.

The best it can get is for more mainstream plugin developers to create native Linux versions of their products, and that is slowly happening. In the interim while waiting, it is possible to run Windows plugins in Linux today, but it is not as simple as installing them in Windows. If someone really wants to get off Windows and use Linux, they will learn how and do it.

Quote:
(Great stuff, your Pi project ! Maybe we one day can do decent self-contained instruments based on that...)
I've been finding and setting up virtual instruments on the Pi. So far, I've made track templates for SMDrums, which I have playing in Sfizz. They are plenty good enough sounding to record with, and I have a pad setup on my Akai MPD26 so I can play the kit from the desktop pads. I also setup a real nice sounding grand piano using a large soundfont the a guy I knew in another group made from his Yamaha. That one is hosted in Carla. For Hammond Organ I found an aarch64 version of X42's SetBfree, and also have an aarch64 version of the synth Helm.

You wanna talk about scarcity of plugins, try running Manjaro/ARM on a Raspberry Pi4. I can't find aarch64 versions of many ARM plugins I've had setup before running Raspbian as the OS. Still, Manjaro/ARM on a Pi4 is the most like running a real desktop that I've used so far, so I'll live with the limitations for plugins. Besides, the plugins don't make my music. I could still record music if I had zero plugins available relying only on getting good recordings, volume and pan.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #35
pax-eterna

Quote:
Android is based on Linux.
Technically, it in fact is a Linux distribution in a similar way as Debian and many others. Just targeting a different usage range.
In fact you can run non-android Linux programs on Android devices without installing another OS. Native Linux Apps even can use Open GL for rendering graphics without using the Android GUI API.

-Michael
Yes that I was aware of (Android built on Linux, or Unix??) Didn't know you could run linux programs on it though. That's interesting.

I guess the point I am making is to be able to buy a totally independent tablet or phone hardware device and then install an open source OS, to get away from Google, Apple, MS. Or even be able to "jailbreak" a device and install an OS. I mean these devices are essentially PC's with storage, RAM, CPU and GPU.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #36
audiojunkie

Quote:
Yes that I was aware of (Android built on Linux, or Unix??) Didn't know you could run linux programs on it though. That's interesting.

I guess the point I am making is to be able to buy a totally independent tablet or phone hardware device and then install an open source OS, to get away from Google, Apple, MS. Or even be able to "jailbreak" a device and install an OS. I mean these devices are essentially PC's with storage, RAM, CPU and GPU.
Android uses the same Linux kernel. However, they are different enough that you wouldn't be able to just load any old Linux desktop app and make it work. :-)
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #37
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Android uses the same Linux kernel. However, they are different enough that you wouldn't be able to just load any old Linux desktop app and make it work. :-)
Fair
Old 10-22-2021, 10:44 PM   #38
mschnell

Quote:
so you can just install all your Windows plugins and they work,...
Right now true for x86 Windows plugins.

But we are slowly entering the age of ARM(64)
Here Apple is more of a driving force then Microsoft was. Hence "Wine" seems a bit obsolete, and something allowing to use OSX M1 plugin in an ARM based Linux seems more desirable (especially considering that OSX is based on Unix, and Linux is based on Unix, as well).
As in Physics, we need the grand unification .

-Michael
Old 10-22-2021, 10:48 PM   #39
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
AFAIK, you can run any command line tools. Regarding GUI aware software there are limitations and you need to install additional stuff, but many should run.
-Michael
Old 10-22-2021, 11:03 PM   #40
clepsydrae

Quote:
I've been finding and setting up virtual instruments on the Pi.
Are you playing them live? How's the latency? What interface?

(Apologies if I've already asked you about this in another thread. :-) )
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote