Old 08-18-2020, 04:10 AM   #1
AlmoAlmo
Human being with feelings

Default second keypad for custom actions

hi, don´t know if this has been covered already.
I have a second independent keypad that I would like to use for custom actions.
It should work independently from my keyboards numberpad.
Is that possible?

thanks!
AlmoAlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
VocasoGK

Hi!
Linus Tech Tips have a great video on this topic, I'll provide the link below. Never tried for myself but I think it should work. I suppose we need to map the secondary keyboard to spit out "non-existent" keys like F13-F24, Media Key, and etc, instead of the default key. And then map them to Reaper.

https://youtu.be/Arn8ExQ2Gjg?t=362

Also, I don't know whether the app is Windows exclusive or not.
VocasoGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
siniarch

btw. I got this keyboard and have custom mapped it and also customized my actions in REAPER and it works incredibly well.

The only thing that sucks is that I have to put tiny labels on all the keys to remember what they do as I have 3-5 different commands on each key using modifiers such as SHIFT, CONTROL, ALT, SHIFT + CONTROL, CONTROL + ALT, etc...

https://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-Si...b-8a79de2d236f
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
cdmstudios

I just got this same keyboard - how did you get the keys to be recognized as unique keys? (or blank/assignable?)
Right now when I press the keys they register as things like A,B,I,Y, Down, etc and those are already on my regular keyboard...
thanks
cdmstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #5
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmstudios View Post
I just got this same keyboard - how did you get the keys to be recognized as unique keys? (or blank/assignable?)
Right now when I press the keys they register as things like A,B,I,Y, Down, etc and those are already on my regular keyboard...
thanks
Well, it came with a link to download a program that lets you customize your keys and make them whatever you'd like. As far as unique keys? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have mine mapped with letters throughout and my first 3 keys at the bottom are Ctrl, Alt, Shift. So every key literally can do 4 functions if I want. Or even 7 if I use Ctrl+Alt+key and Ctrl+Shift+Key and Shift+Alt+key. I do have to map those shortcuts to reaper, but thankfully Reaper let's you map almost any key or combination to any action.
Hope that makes sense.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:02 AM   #6
cdmstudios

I meant that I was wondering how reaper differentiates the keys from the keys on the main keyboard. Because if there's a "A" on this keyboard and an "A" on my normal keyboard pressing either would launch the custom action.
So I wasn't sure if there was a way to have Reaper see them as something different.
cdmstudios is offline   Reply With Quote