Old 01-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
Jesus916
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper / Zoom H6

In this topic, Im just curious really more than anything else...

The other day I watched a tutorial in how to hear Reaper via the Zoom recorder and I wonder - maybe way obvious for you guys but make no sense to me - what would that be useful for?

The thing is I found said tutorial while I was looking totally for the oppossite, just looking for good, for a tutorial on the possibility and how to, of recording directly in Reaper but using the Zoom H6 just as a microfone

And you now may ask, why would you want to do that for when its so easy to import the recording on the zoom in Reaper???

Well for instance, correct me if Im wrong please. I suspect I could be very wrong about it, that, if say, I have to take more than 1 take of a portion of the piece to be recorded, it will be less hassle recording them directly into the Reaper takes, than having to import several portions of the recording etc etc

There is some sort of point on my thoughts or am I missing something on my argumentation really as I could not find any tutorial about this topic hence maybe this is not convenience

I got few other mikes but its very convenient record with the zoom and its also more convenience as otherwise the desk with Reaper on the PC its farder away from the instrument (long cables, walks back and forward....)

Thanks

Last edited by Jesus916; 01-14-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Jesus916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
EpicSounds

once connected to the computer the zoom recorder works as any other audio interface.
If you don't need connections to studio monitors it is a great option IMO. I have the H5.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #3
DVDdoug

The main advantage to a stand-alone recorder us that it's (usually) more reliable. Computers are the least reliable things we own! ...It's not that the computer itself is that unreliable but there are lots of settings to configure and mess-up, and other applications (and drivers, and background processes) can change things or interrupt & "glitch" your recording.

If you're in your home studio, things are usually pretty "stable" and if you do have a problem you can usually fix it. But if you are recording a live event and there's no chance for "take two", I'd generally trust the stand-alone recorder more. Or if the recording is super-critical, two recording systems in parallel and it's probably OK if one (or maybe both) is a computer.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
bjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
The main advantage to a stand-alone recorder us that it's (usually) more reliable.
True, although it's worth noting that every digital recorder is in fact a computer. It's just more of a single-purpose computer than the ones we use every day. It also doesn't get updated frequently with OS updates and application updates that may introduce incompatibilities and bugs, which is often the case with laptops (unless you do what pro studios do and keep your music-recording computer isolated from the internet and never update it).

I use a Sound Devices MixPre 6 for most of my recording duties, and it's wonderful to never have to worry about buffer sizes or latency, clicks and pops, etc., and with the Musician Plugin I can even do zero-latency overdubs and punch-ins. On the downside, navigation is a lot more cumbersome unless you lay down markers and navigate from one to the next. A DAW on a laptop or desktop PC is much more ergonomic and efficient in terms of being able to quickly navigate through a session. You can attach a control surface to the MixPre series recorders (several affordable control surfaces are compatible), which helps make everything more ergonomic, and the free Wingman app on a tablet or phone allows you to arm/disarm tracks and control transport without having to touch the recorder itself.

If you're a musician recording yourself, I think using a dedicated recorder has many advantages, allowing you to focus more on the music and less on the tech.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #5
Jesus916

Thanks everybody

I do need connection to studio monitors sooner than later Epicsound, thought I cannot agreed more with you about the convenience of using the Zoom directly and as Bjohn also says as a player than Im and not audio guy the Zoom is once again a plus letting you concentrate better just in playing

I never thought of the reasons stated by DVDdoug - Im in a home enviroment by the way - to be honest but once said, yes, I also have to agree with his statement even not being myself a teachperson

Yet so, even if its only to know for good as a curiosity. Would be possible to use the Zoom JUST AS a microphone connected to Reaper?
*I supposse on this case, if at all possible, previously will need to be connected to the audio interface, correct? On my case a Steinberg UR-44

Thanks again
Jesus916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #6
Deadkeys

Default Zoom 24

UI use the ZoomR24 in the feild to take tracks from buddies but use it as a midi controllerfor reaper..works great..
Deadkeys is offline   Reply With Quote