Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 01-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
keener3rd
Human being with feelings

Default Best Way to Use Reaper for Lights?

Hello,

I posted this in the Tips section and didn’t get any responses, so I thought I would try here.

I am in a cover band and we have created projects for all of our songs that include click, vocal cue, backing and lighting (using DMXIS) tracks. I’m using a marker in each project tab so Reaper goes to the next project tab / song automatically and a midi foot switch to start the song. I’m also using a marker to stop the previous song so I don’t end up with several project tabs playing at the same time.

The issue I’m running into is that when project tab 1 completes, the light track ends causing the lights to turn off. When I start the song on tab 2, the light track kicks in and the lights come back on. I’m still very new to Reaper and DAWs, so are there any suggestions on how to bridge from one project tab / song to the next without having the lights go off unless it’s by design? We are intending to use this Reaper setup for our live shows as soon as we start booking again.

Thanks!
Glen
keener3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
mschnell

I suppose you need a hardware Midi to DMX converter to allow Reaper to control lights. I am rather sure that multiple types of those do exist.

This in place you can do a lot:
- Write Midi sequences for your lights
- create JSFX Midi "filters" to automate light action (e.g. "Volume to light"...)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-19-2021 at 12:39 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
keener3rd

Thank you for the reply, Michael. To clarify, we used DMXIS to create our midi tracks for lights and we are able to successfully control the lights when that track is playing in a project tab. The problem is that the lights go black when project tab A ends (when the light track ends) and before project tab B starts.

What I’m really trying to understand is how I could go about making sure the lights don’t go black between songs. I could make one really big project tab with an entire set list but, as a Reaper noob, that seems fraught with peril.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
mschnell

AFAIK, on project start Reaper generates some Midi messages E.g. All Notes Off.You can use or create a JSFX that kills such Midi messages, and route the stream to the MIDI output though same.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:12 AM   #5
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAIK, on project start Reaper generates some Midi messages E.g. All Notes Off.You can use or create a JSFX that kills such Midi messages, and route the stream to the MIDI output though same.

-Michael
Sorry for the delay, Michael. I appreciate the advice and will give that a shot.

Thank you!
Glen
Old 12-15-2021, 04:57 AM   #6
Bruceqld

Hey Glen.

Late to the party here, but just in case you didn't find a solution or anyone else is interested, I have been nusing DMXIS for many years with various DAW's, most recently Reaper. The best way to run it is in standalone mode rather than as a vst insert, then trigger your Bank and Scene changes from a simple midi track via any virtual midi program, such as the free Loopbe midi (or if you really want to get into control flexibility, check out Bome Midi translater). DMXIS loads all of its scenes each time it is started. By running it standalone, this only happens once, and you can avoid any issues with scenes blacking out as the vst version closes and re-opens. It is also much more stable.

FWIW, you might also like to check out a free but brilliant playlist utility called Midi Automator to control your set list. Between Reaper, DMXIS, Bome Midi Translator and a midifoot controller (I use a Nektar Pacer) almost anything is possible. Browse your song list using a foot controller, change guitar patches, reset lights, activate tuners, mute mixer channels. My playlist can also be completely automated, so that the current project closes as soon as it finishes and the next opens. Bome Midi Translator is a great piece of kit for live performance management.
Bruceqld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #7
DrFrankencopter

Thanks for the info. I’m thinking of venturing into this world.

It seems that DMXSIS is now a dead product. Perhaps Entec’s EMU is the new equivalent version from Entec. Or alternatively Show Buddy?
Old 12-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
Bruceqld

Yes - sadly the development of DMXIS has splintered. The software has always been developed by Dave Brown @ db Audioware based in Scotland, whilst Enntec made the hardware. Dave is still developing Showbuddy Active as the next generation of DMXIS. Enttec's hardware is brilliant. I have two DMXIS boxes that continue to work flawlessly 12 years on. Emu looks interesting. One major concern I have is that in it's documentation I could not find any mention of channel masking, which would be a huge step backwards. I can't imagine that could be right, but I would certainly clear that up before I took the plunge. Apparently they plan to sell it outright as a hardware/software package but have yet to source the chips required for manufacture, hence the current 'limited period free licence'. Beware though. Rumour has it that the free will turn into a subscription.
Bruceqld is online now   Reply With Quote