Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
acs
Human being with feelings

Default ReaControlMIDI

What types of things do you use ReaControlMIDI for? I guess I'm just looking to see what types of uses it has in general. Thanks.
acs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
J Kennedy

Acs,

I think most modern day users may not have much use for ReaControlMidi. It’s more a thing for guys that have their working environment relying on external hardware. Still a few of us around though and its development is appreciated.

Currently, to control external hardware devices in Reaper, you have to jump back and forth to an external mixer. Not great if you’re in this predicament. The main Reaper mixer is non functional, although some good minds have written plugins to try and fill the gap. Syncing Reaper through virtual cables with something like Sonar to run hardware is a sloppy option, but works okay most of the time.

ReaControlMidi may eventually let us control external devices as a plugin, even if the main mixer does not currently support external hardware volume, pan or patch selection. This is a step forward for us retro dudes, since ReaControl Midi will select patches and you can control CC messages. Downside so far in the latest beta is that any settings you create are still lost as soon as the program is closed. Respect the hard sweat and tears of the developers. There’s beta 5 and keeping my fingers crossed this will be addressed and fixed at some point.

John

Last edited by J Kennedy; 03-20-2009 at 09:08 PM.
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
J Kennedy

Default ReaControlMidi and alpha 5

Got to retract most of this post. Reaper development going at warp speed and the saving of CC data is fixed in alpha 5 overnight. There's still the pitch wheel that defaults back, but the other parameters are working fine. Waited a long time for this one. Thank you guys.

John
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
acs

Thanks John!

I'll have to give it a try tonight.
acs is offline   Reply With Quote