Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #41
winbe
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
What happens when you use up 5 authorizations? Is it still FREE? How do you deauthorize a computer? It looks more like a time-limited product... I know in a couple of years I'll have new computers, should I bother to count on this plugin or just forget it and avoid the future headaches?
oh, but this $@#! 5 authorizations is also there for paid products, such as Miroslav Vitous CE!!

This drove me crazy when I realized this. When you have 2 laptops + main PC, and that you are about to upgrade the laptops with newer OS, you simply burn 5 authorizations in no time.

I am sorry to say this, but fortunately, Dynamics or Air are there to help the IK customers!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #42
ivansc

On the other hand, I have an acquaintance who has a cracked copy of windows XP and Office 2007 on his computer and is always complaining about having issues on his computer.

You can`t guarantee a torrent-delivered crack isnt going to trash or at the very least disable your system.

Win7 for real is usually cheaper than buying a new computer.
Same holds true for most cracked stuff.

Not preaching, just making an observation.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #43
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriller View Post
Show me a freeware emulation of the Orange Rockerverb.
Or pretty much most of the stuff in the IK custom shop.
I have no idea what that is and no intention to look for it.
So I am afraid you will have to do the searching yourself

Seriously, of course if you have a special need like a plugin emulation of a particular hardware piece, you might have to spend money on it.

If one simply needs good sounding guitar from time to time and doesn't mind what hardware brand exactly is emulated in a plugin, you can do it all with freeware. YMMV.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #44
Phisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
And of course you can prolly use your Points to buy Credits...

I have a theory - I think the whole IK Multimedia operation is a communist plot to replace all other world currencies with Points as a means of exchange for everything.

Poland by Wednesday, as we used to say...

The answer is easy as always :

IK gets your money immediately, when you buy "credits" and not later when you buy some additional software parts.

This leads to a constant flow of money and IK gets it early.
Phisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #45
TheDriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
I have no idea what that is and no intention to look for it.
So I am afraid you will have to do the searching yourself

Seriously, of course if you have a special need like a plugin emulation of a particular hardware piece, you might have to spend money on it.

If one simply needs good sounding guitar from time to time and doesn't mind what hardware brand exactly is emulated in a plugin, you can do it all with freeware. YMMV.
YMMV, exactly my point

Of course there is some good freeware out there, in my experience the really stellar stuff is scarce, which leaves us with a handful of very good ampsims, which for a lot of people just doesn't cut it.
Amplitube (and others) provide a consistent level of quality across a wide variety of amps, cabs and pedals, which is IMO well worth the asking price. There is a lot of stuff in this new Custom Shop that freeware simply doesn't offer.

Not a dig at yourself personally, but it gets old really fast when the online freeware militants constantly jump down the throats of anyone who dares to charge for their product.

The free stuff has its strengths and weaknesses, as does the paid stuff, and of course, YMMV.
TheDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #46
ivansc

+1 Driller.
I am currently wading through all the free vsts and vstis I have accumulated over the years and realising how many of them I will never use because I already have that particular niche covered, whether by better free stuff or commerical plugs.

It is all well and good to say you can do everything with freeware and to an extent this is true, but sometimes a small-ish payment for a commercial solution that does exactly what you want is a mo repractiucal solution.
Me?
I just wait till it shows up as a no brainer on www.audiomidi.com, for the most part.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #47
calico6

Limited plus with this release I think. Nice to be able get 64 bit and to access individual amps at a single price. I've got Live, Metal and Fender but can't use any of them in the 64bit plug which crashed Reaper and started the drive grunting...great!. I get the Fender amps in 32 bit but that's it, A3F ignores Metal and Live completely so no amps fx or cabs from any of those. As far as sound goes seems to be an improvement but it's ironic I can get a better sound for mixes from the previous vs's using one mic than the new 3 using 2 mics with placement!!!?? Once they get the shit sorted out with the 64bit vs there's an amp or two I'll probably get but that plug is completely F@%*cked at the moment.
calico6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #48
kenzo

I hope that IK puts the full AT3 on "sale" one of these days... I'm a registered owner of AT2 and am interested in AT3, but the $200 upgrade fee still seems steep.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #49
dimitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDmR68w_Oc
dimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #50
politcat

hey dimitar, your demos always bring out the goodness in these amp sims. thx
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #51
jens

How so? Whatever he uses it always end up sounding the same.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #52
dimitar

Yeah, I've found the same over the years...
dimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #53
jens

And it's a good thing for you - because it means you found your sound.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #54
carbon

Hmmm.
Amplitube 3 ignores "Amplitube Metal" and "Amplitube SVX UNO", recognizes Fender though.
I hope it's just a technical issue that can be solved.

No sense buying the same amps again
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #55
Sam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Hmmm.
Amplitube 3 ignores "Amplitube Metal" and "Amplitube SVX UNO", recognizes Fender though.
I hope it's just a technical issue that can be solved.

No sense buying the same amps again
Did you install on Windows 7? If so, it needs to be installed as administrator. Might need to uninstall and start again.
Sam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #56
Sibben

Really great distribution method for this. Downloading and authorizing was pretty painless and straight forward too.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #57
Sam C

I am surprised to see so many folks take a pissy attitude about this new concept. It makes a lot of sense to get a free version and add what YOU want. I have used IK stuff for awhile, on one or two occasions I actually went past five authorizations. It took an email to get the five erased and start over.

Find something significant to bitch about....maybe?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #58
Phisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
I am surprised to see so many folks take a pissy attitude about this new concept. It makes a lot of sense to get a free version and add what YOU want. I have used IK stuff for awhile, on one or two occasions I actually went past five authorizations. It took an email to get the five erased and start over.

No, that's nice.

I would like them to reduce the frequenzy of the testing noise. Gives the new amps a bad user experience.
Phisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #59
winbe

Quote:

you are right...
in fact I was upset because after having downloaded my last IK product, and having installed it, authorized it, backuped it (with the accompanying email, registration and authorization numbers), I was really happy.

So I decided to install it on my other computer (that is not supposed to be connected to the web), and bam, I had to reauthorize again !

The thing is, I simply don't understand the goal of all this!
Why do they do this? It does not prevent people from stealing the product anyway! I wanted to "test" Sampletank 2.5XL, I just downloaded it, and it was up and running a few hours later (with no registration problem by the way).

So why do these companies insist, I don't know.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #60
Sam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post

I don't know....or even care anymore. It is what it is. Which to me means if you don't like it, don't start the process.

However, I was addressing the fact that people bitch about it being free, scaled down, free for only x months (which is untrue). The fucken internet seems to bring the bitch out in some people...doesn't it.

I'm pissed that when I opened my bank account online today, a free service to me (although they make me verify it...every time!!), the freaken bank did not deposit money to my account! WTF? No toaster, no curling iron, and no free money. What is the point of me having a free account and no free money?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #61
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Downloading from my IK user area now. Looking forward to testing this out.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #62
chrisharbin

Quote:

How bout after all this time mouseover not working in reaper x64
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #63
carbon

Quote:
Did you install on Windows 7? If so, it needs to be installed as administrator. Might need to uninstall and start again.
No, XP SP3.
I contacted the technical support, so we'll see if there's a solution.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #64
megacurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
That is exactly what we wanted to do too! We want our software to be accessible to anyone and everyone!
Warning: In the Authorization manager you get a GENERAL ERROR if you use ctrl+v in windows to paste instead of the PASTE button...

If you try an amp, is it for one time? What does it mean about the 2 months thing?

Why use credits and not real money?!! So I have to have more credits than I need that I cannot completely all use????

-
Megacurve
http://soundcloud.com/megacurve
http://www.reverbnation.com/megacurve
megacurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #65
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacurve View Post
If you try an amp, is it for one time? What does it mean about the 2 months
I think you can try an item for 2 days. For example, I'm trying the tap delay at the moment, which tells me I've got 1d 15h 36m left.

I'm guessing that once the time runs out you can't try it again for two months.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #66
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
If I look at the amount of freeware amps on the market by now, I seriously wonder why anyone would spend money on a commercial amp-sim anymore.
AmpliTube 3 Free has 24 gear models will all the exact same features our full version has. For free. AND you can add any additional models as you go for a lot less than buying the full program.

Quote:

If I want to test Amplitube, "IK.Multimedia.AmpliTube.v3.0.VST.RTAS....." will be such an easier way, unfortunately!!
Just because its easy doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
No no no!! You have to be psychic!
I wish I were! Life would be sooo much easier...especially with women...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Get this (free), buy the Ampeg SVT Classic ...best modelled bass sound I've ever heard, by a good margin. For 15 Euros (ish, I believe). Exciting times!
With more gear coming every month! Exciting indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I think you can try an item for 2 days. For example, I'm trying the tap delay at the moment, which tells me I've got 1d 15h 36m left.

I'm guessing that once the time runs out you can't try it again for two months.

Pete
Yup! 2 days to try it and then 2 months til you can try it out again.

Quote:
you are right...
in fact I was upset because after having downloaded my last IK product, and having installed it, authorized it, backuped it (with the accompanying email, registration and authorization numbers), I was really happy.

So I decided to install it on my other computer (that is not supposed to be connected to the web), and bam, I had to reauthorize again !

The thing is, I simply don't understand the goal of all this!
Why do they do this? It does not prevent people from stealing the product anyway! I wanted to "test" Sampletank 2.5XL, I just downloaded it, and it was up and running a few hours later (with no registration problem by the way).

Yes each computer should have its own authorization. Same serial number so all the gear you buy will go to all other computers but different authorizations for each computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriller View Post
YMMV, exactly my point

Of course there is some good freeware out there, in my experience the really stellar stuff is scarce, which leaves us with a handful of very good ampsims, which for a lot of people just doesn't cut it.
Amplitube (and others) provide a consistent level of quality across a wide variety of amps, cabs and pedals, which is IMO well worth the asking price. There is a lot of stuff in this new Custom Shop that freeware simply doesn't offer.

Not a dig at yourself personally, but it gets old really fast when the online freeware militants constantly jump down the throats of anyone who dares to charge for their product.

The free stuff has its strengths and weaknesses, as does the paid stuff, and of course, YMMV.
We work hard at what we do and we have a full team backing us up for support, questions and new exciting stuff all the time! Thanks for the support! We need it too just as much as you guys do!

Quote:
oh, but this $@#! 5 authorizations is also there for paid products, such as Miroslav Vitous CE!!

This drove me crazy when I realized this. When you have 2 laptops + main PC, and that you are about to upgrade the laptops with newer OS, you simply burn 5 authorizations in no time.

I am sorry to say this, but fortunately, Dynamics or Air are there to help the IK customers!
If you need help all you have to do is let us know with a support ticket.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #67
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Uhh you could always contact our support? We're here to help but you have to ask for the help in order for us to help you. That is why we have a contact support page in your user account.
Is the support as pleasant as you? Wonderful. The VST won't even load into Reaper, it just crashes on scan.

But you know what, I'm not interested in this thing anymore. Way too much hassle for such little return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guncho View Post
I think you guys are looking a gift horse in the mouth so to speak.
It's not a gift horse, it's a framework for purchases. The freebies are nice, but the whole idea is that you'll really want to buy something to supplement the sound.

I'm sure I could find honest-to-goodness free software at least as good that doesn't include activation nonsense.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #68
ObiK

Quote:
Is the support as pleasant as you? Wonderful. The VST won't even load into Reaper, it just crashes on scan.

But you know what, I'm not interested in this thing anymore. Way too much hassle for such little return.

It's not a gift horse, it's a framework for purchases. The freebies are nice, but the whole idea is that you'll really want to buy something to supplement the sound.

I'm sure I could find honest-to-goodness free software at least as good that doesn't include activation nonsense.
Our support is here to help and I'm sure they're all better than I am. And finding free software isn't hard but finding free software like ours is.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #69
ivansc

Box.
Get OVER yourself.

Somebody piss on your cornflakes, or what?
Software developers are there to make a living, same as you at your job.
They dont deserve to be ranted at in such an extreme way just because you personally don`t want to buy what they are offering.
And the VST IS free and it IS pretty dern good in the form supplied.
Buying stuff to go with it is not compulsory.

P.S. Why not be proactive and actually give us a list of the freeware you would use to get the same or even similar results.
I for one would be sriously interested, as I am on a very limited income and LOVE free stuff.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #70
Runaway

Quote:
Box.
They dont deserve to be ranted at in such an extreme way just because you personally don`t want to buy what they are offering.
Well said Ivansc!

Software developers do need our support and that doesn't mean that someone has to either try or buy their products.
They certainly don't need to be abused or threatened with the use of Team Air's pirate versions!

Of course they are trying to stimulate sales in a market where (almost) everyone wants everything for nothing.

I suggest constructive criticism and legitimate comparisons are more useful than rants and abuse.

At least these guys have a help desk - try ringing or emailing Team Air for software support!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #71
airon

Oh boy. Ampitube 3 Free. Hmm. I like those effects. And since I already own some IKMultimedia plugins, it's dead easy to get.

Hope they fix the 64 bit version, or Reaper is fixed if it's a Reaper issue. Should be easy to figure out for Cockos with it being free and all .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #72
winbe

Quote:
Just because its easy doesn't make it right.
no, but I simply hate to realize that life is easier for people who did not pay for their product!! This is just no fair!!
I paid for the product, so now I want the freedom to be able to install it at a remote place, with NO internet connection needed.

Yes each computer should have its own authorization. Same serial number so all the gear you buy will go to all other computers but different authorizations for each computer.

Quote:
If you need help all you have to do is let us know with a support ticket.
hopefully your support is better than NI's

The fact is, when you browse the forums, you see many people having problems to install/reinstall/move/upgrade the "big" Vstis they bought.
They are struggling with complex procedures.
On the other side, the people who did not pay for the product have no problem at all (because these famous groups are providing super cool installers)...
Once again: this is not fair.

So usually: I buy the product, and then I use the illegal version for easier operation.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #73
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Oh boy. Ampitube 3 Free. Hmm. I like those effects. And since I already own some IKMultimedia plugins, it's dead easy to get.

Hope they fix the 64 bit version, or Reaper is fixed if it's a Reaper issue. Should be easy to figure out for Cockos with it being free and all .
I seriously doubt it's a reaper issue because there are so many problems with other hosts.

There are some things I'm upset about that I'm not going to say, first rule of fight club, etc.

Also, to be fair, they are new to x64 so it's not epic, but after the 14month wait for x64 it's a disappointment to be sure.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #74
mikolo

I cant get this plug in to work in reaper. It works fine in ableton but doesn't show up in my vst list in reaper - tried scanning the folder etc Any ideas what it might be?
mikolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #75
LiveOak

Downloaded the free Amplitube 3 and SampleTank 2.5 and trying them out now, both stand alone and in Reaper.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #76
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
I seriously doubt it's a reaper issue because there are so many problems with other hosts.

There are some things I'm upset about that I'm not going to say, first rule of fight club, etc.

Also, to be fair, they are new to x64 so it's not epic, but after the 14month wait for x64 it's a disappointment to be sure.
Its funny that all these problems arose with 64 bit in Reaper. I helped test it and it has been working well for me but anyone having issues please let us know with a support ticket so we can get the info on your system and fix these bugs in the next update. We had problems with AU and Logic and got that fixed in less than 24 hours because we had people fill out support tickets. We would love to roll it out and have it 100% ready and that is what we shoot for but with so many systems, DAWs and formats some stuff falls through the cracks with certain set ups. Just let us know what problems your having so we can get right on that!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #77
chrisharbin

Quote:
Its funny that all these problems arose with 64 bit in Reaper. I helped test it and it has been working well for me but anyone having issues please let us know with a support ticket so we can get the info on your system and fix these bugs in the next update. We had problems with AU and Logic and got that fixed in less than 24 hours because we had people fill out support tickets. We would love to roll it out and have it 100% ready and that is what we shoot for but with so many systems, DAWs and formats some stuff falls through the cracks with certain set ups. Just let us know what problems your having so we can get right on that!
As I mentioned over at KVR I'm done with the whole x64 thing for now....I'll fill out a "support" list later but considering a certain history I just kinda hit a bit of a wall yesterday.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #78
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Box.
Get OVER yourself.

Somebody piss on your cornflakes, or what?
And the VST IS free and it IS pretty dern good in the form supplied.
Buying stuff to go with it is not compulsory.

P.S. Why not be proactive and actually give us a list of the freeware you would use to get the same or even similar results.
I for one would be sriously interested, as I am on a very limited income and LOVE free stuff.
First of all, my job IS software development, so I know well that it's hard work and deserves compensation. Second, I never said anything even remotely demanding that all their stuff should be free. They could have sold this version for $10 or so and everyone would be happy.

But if it's free, make it free. Not free*. I also don't choose to trust authentication schemes, as I have had bad experiences with software I have paid for and had grown dependent on. So have others.

If there was a way to release authentications, why did they not post that fact on their page? Why not provide a revocation tool or allow revocations from the web site? Are we supposed to read their minds that this is possible? (See what I did there?) How fast is the turnaround? Is it only during their office hours? Do you have to wait 24h to get a license freed up? Is that acceptable to you?

Again, I have no problem purchasing software. I purchase what I use, and never pirate. I checked out their custom shop and it looked like a neat idea, though I'd like to see some of the prices a little cheaper. A proper Fender amp model would be worth the money. But I bought POD Farm 2 a while back and I find it very good, and extremely low hassle DRM. Likewise I'm still tempted by the iOS version of Amplitube for similar reasons.

Sometimes when you pay for something, it's because you want it to "just work". Well this plug failed for me on a few levels right from the get-go, so that's why I just gave up on it. I don't want to sink money, time, effort and music into something that is bound to fail sooner or later.

And for your query about free amp plugs, there are almost too many to list here. Check out BTE Audio's Juicy77, AcmeBarGig's freeware line, StudioDevil has a great free one, and Voxengo Boogex is well worth a look.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #79
ObiK

Quote:

And for your query about free amp plugs, there are almost too many to list here. Check out BTE Audio's Juicy77, AcmeBarGig's freeware line, StudioDevil has a great free one, and Voxengo Boogex is well worth a look.
And now AmpliTube 3 FREE is on that free list.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #80
chrisharbin

So did anyone else buy any? I always have a couple of bucs laying around in my paypal account so I I got the 45 credit which did the soldano, tiny terror, and the 1-12 cab from orange.