Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
vlab
Human being with feelings

Default Media Explorer: Add action to modify selected media items custom tags

Hi !

I was looking for a way to quickly add/change custom tags in a huge set of sounds.
I thought I could assign a custom key command to a ¨edit custom tag¨ action, but it seems such an action does not exist.

Would it be conceivable to add this action in a future update?

Or any workaround possible beside right-clicking ?

Thanks !

V
vlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
Philbo King

You need to consider where this data is to be stored.

.WAV files support metadata tags embedded into the file, but support for this in programs is scarce, inconsistent and sketchy at best.

.MP3 and .OGG files have much better metadata support generally, but these formats are lossy (they compromise fidelity).

Reaper does not support metadata tags for any audio file format currently. I support adding it, but it doesn't seem a priority for the developers.

Another option:
You can add text notes to any media item, but (as far as I know) the data entered into those notes is stored in the .RPP project file, and has no effect on the data in the audio file.

So: You could use media item notes for this, as long as you use a huge Reaper project as the 'library' to hold all your sounds, and copy items across projects by opening both the 'library' file and the work file(s) in separate tabs. Clunky, but possible. Maybe even elegant, with some scripting work. There are a number of actions in the SWS extension that manipulate media item notes already, though most of them are primitive (like copy track name to/from item note, etc.)

Last edited by Philbo King; 01-09-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
vlab

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! I was hoping for a way to keep all this within the media explorer.

Tagging the files themselves would be even better because I share the same library across a few computers.

Makes me wonder if adding custom tags in the media explorer would translate across different computers.

Cheers!

V
vlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Tim Rideout

Teh best way I have found is with a wonderful program called MP3Tag.

You can actually drag and drop your files directly FROM Reaper's media explorer TO the MP3Tag window, modify the tags, hit CTRL-S to save and then refresh your dB in Reaper. Works a treat!