Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #1
Pablo Sound
Human being with feelings

Default Some VST plugins don't show on the FX list

Hi everyone. I am experimenting some problems trying to use some VST plugins in Reaper. The DAW is properly updated and my plugins are all VST x64. The plugins that Reaper doesn't show are from Plugin Alliance and Blue Cat Audio. For what I've read on the matter so far, there is a file called reaper-vstpluginsx64.ini which shows all the plugins that Reaper recognizes. They appear on the list, but do not have their full names, and if I write them myself and save the file, they then show in Reaper's FX list but when applying them to a track they are coloured in red, not useful, so it doesn't work.

I have re-scanned, erased caché and re-scanned again several times with no results. I've also read that some people experiment this same trouble with plugins that work perfect for other people, so it's kind of a headache.

Please let me know if you have a solution for this. Also I couldn't use the Softube's Saturation Knob plugin, but in this case a concret error window arised when I rescanned the plugins to use it, reporting that a dll file was missing.
Pablo Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 AM   #2
ivansc

Sounds like your best bet would be to re-download and re-install the problem plugins, taking notes of where they get installed & then do the clear/re-scan routine again.
Dont forget to make sure you have fully uninstalled the versions that are currently on your hard drive, though. I use & recommend IOBit`s free Uninstaller, but generally only install it on my machine on an "as needed" basis, then use it to uninstall itself till the next time I need it.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
DarkStar

If the lines in that file are short then Reaper has detected a problem when scanning those plug-ins. On subsequent scans Reaper ignores those plug-ins. Do they load in any other DAW?

Try the uninstall / reinstall as ivansc suggests, but first, with Reaper closed remove those lines and save the file. On the next start Reaper will scan those plug-ins again.

Blue Cat Audio is fine here. I do not have any PA plug-ins
Old 01-15-2019, 03:39 AM   #4
Pablo Sound

Thank you so much for your answers. I will try again when I get home with IOBit`s free Uninstaller as for now, I got nothing uninstalling the regular way.

Also, I checked if the plugins did show in other DAWs as Darkstar, and to my surprise they do not. The same plugins that do not work in Reaper, they neither work in other DAWs.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 AM   #5
DarkStar

Double-check that your have 64-bit DAWs and VSTs (or 32-bit editions of both).

(Yes, I know that Reaper can bridge plug-ins but let's get this issue sorted first )
Old 01-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Pablo Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Double-check that your have 64-bit DAWs and VSTs (or 32-bit editions of both).
They are indeed. My Windows OS is 64-bit, Reaper is 64-bit and the plugins used (no matter if they are working or not) are 64-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I use & recommend IOBit`s free Uninstaller
Panic time this afternoon when I used IOBit's free uninstaller. I used it to uninstall Blue Cat Audio's FreqAnalyst (which is not loaded in Reaper's FX list), and suddenly all my plugins in the same folder were completely erased, except BCA's FreqAnalyst. That was not funny. I reinstalled all my plugins and destroyed BCA's plugin and IOBit's software from my computer. For now that's my progress on this matter.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
ivansc

Thats why it pays NOT to use the "auto cleanup" option in Uninstaller. Says so in the instructions, but easy to miss. But yoiu can always undo if it messes up, main reason I use it.