Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Veleev
Human being with feelings

Default why does Reaper on Mac uses 2-3 time more CPU than Logic Pro x

I heard that explanation might be that Logic is initially built upon Core Audio drivers, while Reaper, ableton, cubase - on Asio (and changing it is too time consuming and expensive)..
so Reaper uses some bridge (asio-corea audio) to work on Mac..
I ran several tests..manually exporting projects from reaper to logic..
they tried different vts/AU/ just empty audio files...Logic pro always exhibit 2-3 times better CPU usage..

more over.. its crazy that in Reaper tracks with no midi or audio data still consume CPU if they have FXs or plugin on them..

am I right? nothing to do with this?
I tried to turn off multi threatening in Terminal..tested different duffer size, and actually everything I could find in Reaper`s preferences menu
is Reaper team going to fix the processing of empty tracks?
Veleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleev View Post
No. Why should they? That's a pathological use case.

Put some actual material on your tracks and compare the CPU usages between Logic and Reaper then.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
semiquaver

I don't see this.

Are your buffer settings the same in both programs?

smaller buffers = more cpu.

REAPER does have a small CPU overhead from graphics - varies per theme. But this doesn't scale so is not significant.
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #4
Aymara

Interesting.

We all know, that Logic can only use AU and Reaper also VST.

What do you use in Reaper? Might VSTs perform better than AUs in Reaper? In the times of Reaper 4 I had the impression, that VSTs sometimes perform better.

Btw, which macOS and Reaper version are we talking about? And which audio interface is used? Does it use Core Audio or does it use a proprietary driver? My old Tascam could use both, but Core Audio was a nightmare with the Tascam, while it‘s a dream with my new Presonus Quantum 2.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Veleev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
No. Why should they? That's a pathological use case.

Put some actual material on your tracks and compare the CPU usages between Logic and Reaper then.
I tried this..still significant difference
Old 12-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Veleev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Interesting.

We all know, that Logic can only use AU and Reaper also VST.

What do you use in Reaper? Might VSTs perform better than AUs in Reaper? In the times of Reaper 4 I had the impression, that VSTs sometimes perform better.

Btw, which macOS and Reaper version are we talking about? And which audio interface is used? Does it use Core Audio or does it use a proprietary driver? My old Tascam could use both, but Core Audio was a nightmare with the Tascam, while it‘s a dream with my new Presonus Quantum 2.
First of all, I tried to compare them without any FXs. 2-3 times difference.
as far as I know AU consume more CPU

I use High Sierra on macbook pro 2015 year, latest Reaper. Zen Tour antelope audioi interface
Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Veleev

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
I don't see this.

Are your buffer settings the same in both programs?

smaller buffers = more cpu.

REAPER does have a small CPU overhead from graphics - varies per theme. But this doesn't scale so is not significant.
I tested 64/256/512/1024 (of course always the same for both daws)
The high buffer was applied, the less significant difference in CPU usage I saw
Old 12-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
Aymara

Quote:
as far as I know AU consume more CPU
That is definitely not a general rule. I think it depends on the plugin, some VSTs are better than their AU counterpart. Sometimes the opposite is the case, be it CPU consumption or stability.

But VSTs have an advantage ... they also have MIDI-out and so are routeable.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #9
serr

Curious. Most people switch from Logic to Reaper because Reaper is so much more CPU efficient and stable. So I still read around here anyway...
I haven't looked at Logic Audio Hell for many years at this point. It was certainly a resource hog vs. Reaper back in 2009. Wouldn't there be some talk if Apple pulled something like that off recently? Gonna need to see a few more testimonials before I launch LAH again. I recall it aggravates my turrets kind of badly.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:10 AM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Have you tried the experimental preference to reduce CPU on silent tracks?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #11
cyrano

Quote:
I heard that explanation might be that Logic is initially built upon Core Audio drivers, while Reaper, ableton, cubase - on Asio (and changing it is too time consuming and expensive)..
so Reaper uses some bridge (asio-corea audio) to work on Mac..
All audio on the Mac uses Core audio. There's no ASIO, nor any bridging. That's the Mac's major advantage to Windows and even Linux. Just one system that works. Windows has several audio systems and Steinberg added ASIO for professional use. That's where the problem starts, as not all software works with ASIO, while other applications require it and won't work with any of the other systems.

Quote:
I ran several tests..manually exporting projects from reaper to logic..
they tried different vts/AU/ just empty audio files...Logic pro always exhibit 2-3 times better CPU usage..
The first question would be "How are you reading that CPU use?"

If you're reading it inside the respective DAW's, maybe they are reporting different things?

Quote:
more over.. its crazy that in Reaper tracks with no midi or audio data still consume CPU if they have FXs or plugin on them..
As Fox Asteria already mentioned, there's a prefs setting for it. Try and see?

Quote:
am I right? nothing to do with this?
I tried to turn off multi threatening in Terminal..tested different duffer size, and actually everything I could find in Reaper`s preferences menu
Which version of MacOS are you testing?

If there is any problem with the latest one, it is the cloud. Various background system tasks have been creating havoc for audio drivers, resulting in dropouts, crackling... for some users. Unfortunately, since it's only for a minority, Apple doesn't seem very busy fixing this. Maybe this is related to what you're seeing?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The first question would be "How are you reading that CPU use?"
Exactly the question I had in mind!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
machinesworking

There is no way in hell Veleev has done anything like a real stress test of his system.

The only tests that make any sense at all to determine a DAWs CPU consumption are to failure tests.
Every other method is relying on arbitrary non standard metering like a DAWs own CPU meter etc. In every test I've ever done of the DAWs on my system Reaper is by far the most CPU efficient, and Logic is good, but hardly better than DP or Cubase on OSX. Live and Bitwig come in dead last.

The typical test would be to replicate "real world" stress until failure. So take a high consumption VSTi like Diva or Serum etc. and a MIDI file, add this to tracks until crackling then back off until the audio sounds good. In every test I've done Reaper can handle roughly 100 tracks to Logics 80 to Lives 60.
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
producer

Default Can conform the finding that Logic is way more effective these days on MAC

I was a long time Reaper on Windows and was very happy as it was stable. I switch to Macs 5-6 years ago. I have tested this several times. Actually Logic became even more efficient about 1-1,5 years ago.

I also made a video quite som year ago about the case.

Here is the last one 2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEToEifkv50&t=6s

However recently Reaper is in use again for Ambisonic sound as it handles multitrack files very elegant.
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote