Old 12-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default threshold action issue?

the action:

transient detection sensitivity/threshold: adjust...

is giving me problems on my kxstudio install. not sure if it's linux-specific, though. using v5.96.

when i run the action, either from the actions window or from a shortcut, in fact, even setting the threshold from the preferences window, i get no dialog window with adjustment sliders. i do see lines appear in my item defining the current detection threshold setting, just no dialog. running the action again does toggle the lines off. i just seem to have no access to the settings. is this broken? is this dialog maybe showing up off-screen and, thus, not visible? anyone else have this issue?

edit:
and something else, i've been programming an xkeys unit and am finding anomalies. here's another one. i set a key for the 'jump to time' action. if i type in 0.00:16.00 as the time (which, btw, would be nice if it took a more standard input using colons as i'm in 23.976 timecode display mode) the time i actually land on displays as 0:00:15:23 in my big clock display, off by a frame.

thanks,
BabaG

Last edited by babag; 12-27-2018 at 12:58 PM.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Glennbo

Never used that function personally, so I wouldn't know if it behaved differently in Linux. Maybe someone else here has used it in Windows.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
babag

thanks glennbo. i find it handy for getting a visual reference to things like where to start dialing in compressor settings and such.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
JamesPeters

For the first issue: it works properly on my system. V5.95+dev1121, MX Linux 18. Did you do anything with your video settings? (Forget to choose a compositor, do something with "workspaces", accidentally set up dual monitors incorrectly, etc.?) From what you describe it seems the function is there but the window isn't displaying (or is "hidden" beneath another window?)

As for the second issue: if I set the ruler to "absolute frames" it functions as expected (after the jump, 16 is displayed in the big clock) but if I set the ruler to Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames, after the jump 0:00:15:23 is displayed in the big clock. I seldom work in anything other than "normal" time or absolute frames, so I wouldn't have noticed this before.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
babag

thanks, james. yeah. sounds like some kind of interaction with the display system could be possible. didn't change anything in reaper, though, as i can't. as i said, when i use the preferences to address the threshold settings, the same thing happens so i can't get at the settings control to make a change. i tried right off moving windows around to see if anything was hidden but that was not the case. other dialogs have no problem so i'm thinking this is specifically threshold action related.

i believe everything should be correct with the desktop and displays as i've spent ungodly amounts of time getting them set up properly. i have four monitors and getting the linux desktop to my preferences has taken forever. early on i had a lot of trouble with various de's putting icons and windows in funny or undesirable places. kde has not suffered from that, though. i wanted something much lighter but, with all of the displays i have, kde was the only one that handled them correctly.

as for the threshold issue, i see what you mean about absolute frames and, yes, it does seem to be correct here as well. unfortunately, i need to be able to see the ruler in hh:mm:ss:ff format rather than frames so this continues to be a problem.

edit:
hmmm. after changing the ruler to absolute frames and back, things are not seeking correctly, even after closing and reopening reaper. i'll check again tomorrow and see if that continues to be the case.

thanks again,
BabaG

Last edited by babag; 12-27-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
JamesPeters

Good luck!

I'd recommend temporarily using a single monitor to see if your first issue can be resolved or tracked down further. (I use a single monitor.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
babag

found the missing dialog for threshold. here are two screenshots of my display settings. first is my normal layout. second shows how i slid the top display over to the left so as to left-align it with the wider set of three displays below, revealing the dialog. it had been hidden in a non-displayed area.

this was a big problem with other display managers and desktop environments that seemed to have been solved by using kde. kde was the only de i found, and i tried LOTS, that would not place things in non-displayed areas and would also allow me to place desktop icons where i wanted.

what's especially odd about this behavior is that other dialogs do not appear in the 'upper left' coordinate area. my speculation would be this, that, since i imported configurations from my windows setup, other dialogs have coordinates for display based on what i've used before. reaper seems to remember the dialog's display coordinates. when i dragged the threshold to a more suitable location, closed, reopened reaper, then redisplayed the threshold dialog, it reappeared in the place i'd placed it, not in the upper left. my guess is that, if dialogs are opened for the first time, they go to the upper left. it might be nice to make that the center instead as that would solve this issue. it might be annoying the first time but just dragging to the place you always want it to appear would seem to solve the problem.

when i found the threshold dialog, it turned out that there was also an undo dialog in the same place. i don't normally display this dialog so it would seem to support the notion that dialogs that have not been opened before go to the upper left. i probably triggered it in fishing for key commands when progamming the xkeys unit i'm playing with.

one other thing that seems related, at least in my setup, reaper is shown in my task bar as a single block. if there was a way to have the various reaper windows that are open all show in the task bar, i could rclick the dialog, even if it wasn't visible, then select 'more actions ---> move' and be able to drag it to a visible place. i had scripts for something like this when i played with xfce as my de but it turned out to be too cumbersome to get it set up the way i wanted so i had to abandon it.

edit:
found a kde action to grab and move the focused window and assigned it to meta-f12. that should allow me to grab any window or dialog that should be active but seems invisible and try to move it somewhere more useful.

thanks,
BabaG
Screenshot_2018-12-28_09-55-46 by BabaG01
Screenshot_2018-12-28_09-56-31 by BabaG01, on Flickr

Last edited by babag; 12-28-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Jack Winter

Try setting gdk_owned_windows_in_tasklist in the swell section of ~/.config/REAPER/reaper.ini to 1. That will allow you to shift-tab to different reaper windows.

Could have sworn that they used to appear in the taskbar too, but maybe I misremember..

Edit: Hmm, scratch that. I'm not really sure that I understand what is happening here... Reaper windows seem to appear with alt-tab no matter what I set this to, and I don't seem to be able to make them appear in the task bar. Wonder if something hasn't broken here, or I'm being extra dense today... In my defense we had a long lunch and some wine was also involved
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 12-28-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #9
babag

thanks, jack. in the meantime, here's a script i used on xfce to fix the hidden window issue. it uses xdotools. not sure if that's installed by default on all distros or not. the new x/y coordinates at the bottom are what i use for my specific system. others will want to change them as necessary.

the way i use it is to make a taskbar and/or desktop shortcut for the script, then, when a window or dialog fails to appear as expected, i click the shortcut to repo it to the new coordinates. it relies on having the window/dialog focused so you have to be aware and not click on anything else that would change the focus before running the script.

thanks to whoever scripted this. i've lost track, now. here it is:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Move the current window to the next monitor.
#
# Only works on a horizontal monitor setup.
# Also works only on one X screen (which is the most common case).
#
# Props to
# http://icyrock.com/blog/2012/05/xubuntu-moving-windows-between-monitors/
#
# Unfortunately, both "xdotool getwindowgeometry --shell $window_id" and
# checking "-geometry" of "xwininfo -id $window_id" are not sufficient, as
# the first command does not respect panel/decoration offsets and the second
# will sometimes give a "-0-0" geometry. This is why we resort to "xwininfo".

screen_width=`xdpyinfo | awk '/dimensions:/ { print $2; exit }' | cut -d"x" -f1`
display_width=`xdotool getdisplaygeometry | cut -d" " -f1`
window_id=`xdotool getactivewindow`

# Remember if it was maximized.
window_state=`xprop -id $window_id _NET_WM_STATE | awk '{ print $3 }'`

# Un-maximize current window so that we can move it
wmctrl -ir $window_id -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz

# Read window position
x=`xwininfo -id $window_id | awk '/Absolute upper-left X:/ { print $4 }'`
y=`xwininfo -id $window_id | awk '/Absolute upper-left Y:/ { print $4 }'`

# Subtract any offsets caused by panels or window decorations
x_offset=`xwininfo -id $window_id | awk '/Relative upper-left X:/ { print $4 }'`
y_offset=`xwininfo -id $window_id | awk '/Relative upper-left Y:/ { print $4 }'`
x=`expr $x - $x_offset`
y=`expr $y - $y_offset`

# Compute new X position
new_x=`expr $x + $display_width`

# If we would move off the right-most monitor, we set it to the left one.
# We also respect the window's width here: moving a window off more than half its width won't happen.
width=`xdotool getwindowgeometry $window_id | awk '/Geometry:/ { print $2 }'|cut -d"x" -f1`
if [ `expr $new_x + $width / 2` -gt $screen_width ]; then
  new_x=`expr $new_x - $screen_width`
fi

# Don't move off the left side.
if [ $new_x -lt 0 ]; then
  new_x=0
fi

## Move the window
#xdotool windowmove $window_id $new_x $y

# Move the window to specific BabaG monitor setup location
#new_x=3360
#y=2160