Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings

Default FR:Right click on plugin interface add automation item

i would like to see a option to be able to right click on a plugin interface control and then select add automation item
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #2
SubbaseDnB

Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
i would like to see a option to be able to right click on a plugin interface control and then select add automation item
That kind of functionality (right click menus with actions added by the host) isn't possible to implement for example for standard VST2 plugins. (VST3 allows it but I think it requires the plugin itself to support it, so still wouldn't necessarily work with all VST3 plugins.)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
That kind of functionality (right click menus with actions added by the host) isn't possible to implement for example for standard VST2 plugins. (VST3 allows it but I think it requires the plugin itself to support it, so still wouldn't necessarily work with all VST3 plugins.)
ahh ok i didnt knew that (in FL it works for some plugins.and its just a fast way of working,didnt knew it was a limitation,i tend to try to always use vst3 now.i know i coud do it with the main plugins i used in say fl.and studio one.but dont really know if its possible in Reaper.and would rather not use scripts for this
Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
Bri1
Banned

Ey-as ph reason recently hosting vst--it appears to be using the remote protocol.
Touch param-edit automations=simplez works fine.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
Birdy

Would like to see that as well!
Right now I have "show automation envelope for last touched parameter" function set to Shift+A.
A simple right click would be much better.
Birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Right now I have "show automation envelope for last touched parameter" function set to Shift+A.
glad im not the only one that would like to see thisits just a really fast way of working
Old 01-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
vanhaze

Quote:
I don't get this;
Isn't using a key shortcut not faster than:

- hoover your mouse to where you want to right-click
- right click
- hoover your mouse to the automation item function.

Me myself is always trying to do as less mouse hoovering & clicking as possible: cumbersome, timeconsuming workflow IMHO.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I don't get this;
Isn't using a key shortcut not faster than:

- hoover your mouse to where you want to right-click
- right click
- hoover your mouse to the automation item function.

Me myself is always trying to do as less mouse hoovering & clicking as possible: cumbersome, timeconsuming workflow IMHO.
It would be faster in theory.
The problem is, the shortcut (or at least mine) only works when you're focused on the track, it does not work when your focus on the plugin.
So right now I have to touch the parameter I want, click on the track itself, and only then use the keyboard shortcut.
If the keyboard shortcut worked on the plugin window, that would be much faster like you said.
Birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
vanhaze

Oops, yeah, i hear ya ..

Totally forgot about that ever longstanding dreadful issue that keyshortcuts won't work when a Plugin window has focus.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
deeb

this together with some new modulations matrix/gui interface would really nice, and sellable, imo
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
EvilDragon

But, it's not possible because of how VST2 works. It's possible in VST3, but the plugin needs to support it.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
But, it's not possible because of how VST2 works. It's possible in VST3, but the plugin needs to support it.
it is a pity! i tried just now with 1 or 2 plugins just to test and i noticed that when i left click a knob without moving , reaper knows and sets last parameter to the new one, so probably if reaper when right clicking could force a equal left click behaviour (wihout moving) then he could work with right clicking on last parameter without being noticed by the user. I know it might sound hackish or bad but probably workable.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
Neutronic

Quote:
It would be faster in theory.
The problem is, the shortcut (or at least mine) only works when you're focused on the track, it does not work when your focus on the plugin.
You said you use "Shift+A" to run the action - and that's the reason it doesn't fork for you. Just use any other modifier for the shortcut (as in Ctrl+A, Alt+A etc.) or combine Shift with another modifier (i.e. Ctrl+Shift+A).

Last edited by Neutronic; 01-05-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
it was pointed out that it unfortunatly dont work with vst2 plugins,but then atleast have this as a option for vst3 plugins,i personally useually only tend to instal the vst3 versions of plugins(if they are available)
Old 01-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
at least have this as a option for vst3 plugins
that would be not very nice imo! all or nothing =) and i am not 100% sure it won't work with VST, as i described in latest post. I would be curious to know.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
that would be not very nice imo! all or nothing =) and i am not 100% sure it won't work with VST, as i described in latest post. I would be curious to know.
if i remember it worked with alot of plugins in FL .i still have to download the latest version,so havent tested it ,but will try to
Old 01-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
sievr

just map to some key read and touch mode

select touch
move knob
select read
now you have it
sievr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #19
Xenakios

Quote:
if reaper when right clicking could force a equal left click behaviour
It's a massively bad idea for the host to attempt to change the mouse messages sent into the plugin. (As the plugin expects to get them exactly like they should come from the operating system. And the host doesn't generally know if a plugin supports right clicks or not, so it must assume it does.)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #20
deeb

thank you ! i give you all the credit.

"It's a massively bad idea for the host to attempt to change the mouse messages sent into the plugin"

no one would see :P what could happen?

1 - user right clicks!
2 - reaper "left clicks it" so it knows what parameter is clicked
3 - reaper shows menu

Last edited by deeb; 03-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #21
Xenakios

Quote:
no one would see :P what could happen?
It's often the things that seem harmless that make for all kinds of bugs/wrong behaviors that will then require workarounds or additional options.

Also, the trick with just clicking on a plugin parameter control (without moving it) to make it send the parameter change message for the host doesn't universally work. The plugins may just as well do nothing when a parameter control is clicked. (I think most plugin frameworks will send the parameter change message, but all probably won't.)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #22
deeb

Quote:
It's often the things that seem harmless that make for all kinds of bugs/wrong behaviors that will then require workarounds or additional options.
i would have to make an host and a plugin to proof my self otherwise. I am not into C++, in Javascript sounds wrong but might work well. But it is completely different. So thanks!

Quote:
Also, the trick with just clicking on a plugin parameter control (without moving it) to make it send the parameter change message for the host doesn't universally work. The plugins may just as well do nothing when a parameter control is clicked. (I think most plugin frameworks will send the parameter change message, but all probably won't.)
So right clicking would work on automatable parameters only, right? would be nice anyway if there was no potential issues like the ones you described.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #23
Xenakios

I immediately found plugins, by Melda, that wouldn't work with your proposed hack. Left clicking on their knobs doesn't send the parameter change message to Reaper (so no "last touched parameter") and right click on their knobs resets the parameter value in the plugin, so it would be bad behavior from the host to change the right click behavior.

Seriously, it's a waste of time to think about this for plugins and plugin formats that just don't support it. It would be best to contact plugin developers to do VST3 versions of their plugins and ask them to support the VST3 context menu feature.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #24
deeb

Quote:
I immediately found plugins, by Melda, that wouldn't work with your proposed hack. Left clicking on their knobs doesn't send the parameter change message to Reaper (so no "last touched parameter") and right click on their knobs resets the parameter value in the plugin, so it would be bad behavior from the host to change the right click behavior.
Alright! i am done! Thank you thank you thank you!

edit: stupid melda
Old 03-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #25
deeb

Quote:
sorry! meanwhile i reminded that ctrl right click instead of just right clicking maybe would work for a very very large number of plugins. I don't know .. Anyway

1 - user ctrl + right clicks!
2 - reaper "left clicks it" so it knows what parameter is clicked
3 - reaper shows menu
Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #26
EvilDragon

No, it wouldn't work.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #27
deeb

Quote:
No, it wouldn't work.
Any reason why?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #28
deeb

bump!

would be lovely to have a context menu which we could fill with our actions using this feature! (ctrl + click on plugin knob)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
EvilDragon

VST2 doesn't support that kind of thing at all. VST3 does, but not from host's side - plugin developer implements the context menu, IF he wants to (he doesn't have to). Host can't do anything here.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #30
deeb

Quote:
VST2 doesn't support that kind of thing at all. VST3 does, but not from host's side - plugin developer implements the context menu, IF he wants to (he doesn't have to). Host can't do anything here.
hello ED! what i am saying is 100% dependent on the host! if you read my comments and Xenakios you will understand why! i think probably only devs can be sure or not! my guess is that it is possible