Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Alistair S
Human being with feelings

Default Advise a newbie please!

Well, I have been messing around with Reaper for about 3 months now, and decided that I should try and record a song (rather than just little pieces to learn how recording works).

I needed to mess around a bit because I have never used a DAW before (or, for that matter) any multi-tracking capable kit.

So, this means that this is my first attempt at multi-tracking, use of a DAW, midi (used for the chinese flute), or even arrangement. That's been a lot to learn, and a lot of new (budget) kit to get my head around! (I cheated the midi stuff anyway - I used guitar to create some and then edited it).

The good news is, it looks as though I will still be learning for a long time

However, while I learn, I do still want to do what I set out to do when I found Reaper - which was originally to use it as a scratchpad for songs and song ideas.

So, I thought I would ask for your help. Attached is a song I am working on. I considered waiting until I had something I could be proud of, but decided that it would be more useful to show you a work in progress. (gulp)

So here it is, dodgy vocals, mistakes in the lyrics, bum notes and all

Spend Some Time.mp3 - 128 bitrate, for your bandwidth..

Basically, this shows you where I am at and I am asking for any tips you can share. having used it as a learning exercise, I am going to do it again and it would be good to get the benefit of your experience rather than just my experimentation. A few things I know already ..

a) Spend more time tracking (get it right to start with) .. this was tracked fast, as an experiment! (see above re dodgy lyrics, bum notes etc..)

b) Getting the acoustic guitar to sound right is going to be hard.. though sorting out my room and being more picky with mic placement may help.

c) I can't sing .. well, I can do better, but I ain't no Placido Domingo! Maybe a change of key...

d) I need to buy some decent monitors! I'm using an old stereo system and it won't cut it!

e) The song is too long... like this post...

Thanks for listening! If anyone is interested in the proper lyrics, they are available on the link. And Freddy is my dog's name - my nemesis - possibly audible on the recording, not sure.

Last edited by Alistair S; 01-20-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Timothy Lawler

I like the song and I think you've captured a good sound with the vocal especially.

I'm sure there are many approaches to this but here are a few ideas.

I'd reduce the ambience effect on the guitar so it sounds more natural, like it was recorded together in the same room with the vocal.

Mix the tune so the vocal is more promiment, controlling that with EQ as well as relative volume levles. For instance, try leaving the vocal as it is and EQ the guitar with a wide shallow cut between 300-800 so it's still clear but isn't competeing so much in the lower mids with the vocal. But you can only tell what works by trying and listening. When you get the basic levels and EQ balance between the parts worked out, then add subtle verb to parts to enhance it and put the whole performance in a realistic sounding space.
Timothy Lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
Alistair S

Thanks Timothy, that's helpful. I felt there was something wrong with the Reaverb but couldn't put my finger on it.

I plan on redoing it soon, so will try that.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote