Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
pcmusicpro
Human being with feelings

Default OMF / AAF Import export option

I find Reaper a great tool for film sound postproduction and the preferred workflow in that environment is to get OMF/AAF files. All major DAWs have that feature. I don´t find AA Translator an option since it is more expensive than Reaper itself.

Are there any plans to implement OMF/AAF into Reaper and if not, for what reason?

Tranks.

Ed.
pcmusicpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Aeolian

Who's implementation of OMF should the cockos devs go with?

Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 AM   #3
andyp24

AA Translator is still less than the cost of the other DAWs that would give you this facility.

Plus, afaik it has never charged for an update, so over time its value increases greatly.

Don't blame AAT for Reaper being absurdly cheap compared to the competition.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:08 AM   #4
Runaway

We do understand that $199USD may be hard for some to justify so one thing to consider is that we do offer a conversion service.

While we don't actually advertise it we certainly make no secret of it.
It works this way - we convert whatever you want to whatever you want and you make a 'donation' to the value of your choosing and the value of that 'donation' comes off any future purchase of AAT.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:11 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Won't happen, use AAT. Reasons for this have been regurgitated in many similar FR threads over the years (you could've just hit forum search about it).

Also if you're using Reaper professionally and earn a decent chunk of your yearly income with it you're supposed to use the $225 version of Reaper, not the $60 version. At which point, AAT is cheaper than Reaper.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #6
airon

That conversion service is a good deal.

I do sometimes wonder how a file import plugin could improve stuff. Then again, even the Protools OMF/AAF import method is not all that easy. There’s a lot of setup option when you bring in material that way.

Runaway, I’m sure you thought about writing a Reaper file import plugin with AATranslator as a back end at some point. What were your oros and cons if any ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #7
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
That conversion service is a good deal.
We think so - when all is said and done if you have need for the service you really can't lose

Quote:
I do sometimes wonder how a file import plugin could improve stuff. Then again, even the Protools OMF/AAF import method is not all that easy. There’s a lot of setup option when you bring in material that way.
More than you could imagine and even more so when you are a 'spoilt' Reaper user ;-)
Before anyone gets all over me like a cheap suit, by 'spoilt' I mean Reaper will let you do pretty much anything you like and let you get away with practically murder unlike the strict regimes of these other DAWs

Quote:
Runaway, I’m sure you thought about writing a Reaper file import plugin with AATranslator as a back end at some point. What were your pros and cons if any ?
Short answer is yes we have. We have ventured a little way down this path but only for a single format rather than the entire AATranslator back end and should we pursue it further it would be by providing a number of specific format plugins.

While I like to visit this forum more often than most other forums we do get the same requests from other forums for AAT plugins. In fact, we are currently developing a couple of plugins for another DAW as a proof of concept and if that goes well we will hopefully bring those learnings across to build some Reaper plugins. With scant resources we need to make sure we don't spread ourselves too thin as we never want to neglect user support
Old 09-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
pcmusicpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Won't happen, use AAT. Reasons for this have been regurgitated in many similar FR threads over the years (you could've just hit forum search about it).
I did the search before asking. Put OMF on the topic, searched all forums and the search said "Sorry, no matches. Please try some different terms".

Did the search again and even this post is not listed neither. Is something wrong with the search feature?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
pcmusicpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
We do understand that $199USD may be hard for some to justify so one thing to consider is that we do offer a conversion service.

While we don't actually advertise it we certainly make no secret of it.
It works this way - we convert whatever you want to whatever you want and you make a 'donation' to the value of your choosing and the value of that 'donation' comes off any future purchase of AAT.
Oh well this is great to know. Because I don´t need the service all the time since it´s not my main work.So when the need arrives I will certainly contact you.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmusicpro View Post
I did the search before asking. Put OMF on the topic, searched all forums and the search said "Sorry, no matches. Please try some different terms".
I think you can't search for terms containing 3 (or less) letters, kinda sucks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
EvilDragon

You can use Google's search restricted to forum.cockos.com instead...
Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Aymara

Quote:
Won't happen, ...
And I think Cockos is shooting themselves in their own knee with this decision

Let me explain why: Many small bands, artists, DJs, whatever, use Reaper ... understandable right? But most pro studios don‘t, but usually use DAWs, that support AAF format.

I as a hobbyist for example use Studio One besides Reaper because of the much better song writing capabilities. But because Reaper doesn‘t support AAF, I‘m asking myself, if I‘ll buy a V6 licence, because I use Reaper less and less due to the missing AAF support.
But because the one and only DAW doesn‘t exists and Reaper has strengths, that S1 lacks and vice versa, I would like to use both. But without AAF the project migration between the two is too much hassle, because I use a lot of virtual instruments. No need to tell, that S1 support AAF im- and export.

Long story short: With AAF support the user base might become greater or at least won‘t become smaller

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #13
_Stevie_

I'm all for native AAF support. However, this won't help us with virtual instruments.
AAF only supports audio files. I have high hopes for AATranslator, though. They might be able to nail it.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
However, this won't help us with virtual instruments.
Yeah, too bad, plugin infos get lost ... didn‘t knew that.

Quote:
AAF only supports audio files.
Are you sure, that MIDI tracks don‘t get exported? Needs to be done separately?

Chris
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #15
_Stevie_

Hm not sure about MIDI. But I prefer to drag and drop MIDI parts/items. At least that works from Cubase to Reaper. I'm sure it works from S1 to Reaper, as well.

But still, the complex part is to get all the instruments and plugins over to the other DAW. Compared to that, the MIDI data is rather trivial.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #16
Aymara

Quote:
But still, the complex part is to get all the instruments and plugins over to the other DAW. Compared to that, the MIDI data is rather trivial.
Yep, I know ... moved a Reaper MIDI project over to S1.

Chris
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
vdubreeze

IMO, it's not a big deal what doesn't get sent over instrument or even plugin wise for many kinds of sessions/projects. Just to be able to import a projects that gives the tracks, puts midi tracks on correctly named tracks for one to add VIs, auto-spots the audio and if it doesn't understand the take system, puts takes on separate tracks would be great. It may be missing aspects but sometimes this would be plenty. I'd be really happy with some kind of ex/import that does everything that can can easily done and just leaves out the other stuff.

There's a difference between import/export that needs to be done continually over a project and one that only needs to be done once, and where whatever fx are on it before export are only for rough monitoring.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 AM   #18
Runaway

Quote:
I'm all for native AAF support. However, this won't help us with virtual instruments.
AAF only supports audio files. I have high hopes for AATranslator, though. They might be able to nail it.
You are correct in that AAF only supports audio files and given that there is no such thing as an AAF (or OMF) 'standard' that in itself keeps us pretty busy.
Converting virtual instruments can be a bit like converting chalk to cheese so it is not currently high on our priority list ;-)

And BTW for those that are interested AATranslator can read and write S1 session files (except for midi and FX)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:03 AM   #19
Moy

Still hope for this feature.
Many studios only provide Pro Tools' project.
I don't want to use PTs.

And when I recommend RP to other users,
When they asked:"Did it support omf/aaf?" - They have to exchange projects with their clients.

I could only say: "Sadly, no. You may try AAF if you could afford it."
Old 01-18-2019, 01:34 AM   #20
EvilDragon

I've no idea why people are still hoping for this to happen, it obviously won't because AAT exists.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 AM   #21
Aymara

Quote:
I've no idea why people are still hoping for this to happen, it obviously won't because AAT exists.
Then the simple decision everyone has to make is, either use Reaper with AAT or choose a different DAW like Studio One, which supports AAF.

And because it seems, that most Reaper users don‘t want to buy AAT, I guess, Cockos will loose customers in the long run, right?

Chris
Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 AM   #22
EvilDragon

Sure there might be some loss of customers, but that's a risk of any business. The real question here is - would that be a huge loss or not? And we don't see Justin & co. complaining about it, so I guess it's just business as usual. "Most Reaper users" are probably not even in such workflows where AAF/OMF is even needed. People who need those formats are probably a minor part of Reaper userbase, I'd venture a guess (not to diminish anyone's anguish - just hazarding a guess).

Last edited by EvilDragon; 01-18-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:15 AM   #23
Aymara

Quote:
"Most Reaper users" are probably not even in such workflows where AAF/OMF is even needed.
What I have in mind are many bands and solo artists, that start with Reaper and sooner or later might want a pro recording from a pro studio, e.g. for CD production.

So the need for AAF comes later in most cases, right?

Chris
Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #24
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
And because it seems, that most Reaper users don‘t want to buy AAT, I guess, Cockos will loose customers in the long run, right?
You would probably be very surprised at just how many Reaper users have purchased AATranslator and while there are many which just have a need to convert from one or two specific DAWs the majority have purchased to convert to/from OMF, AAF and or ProTools.
These are Reaper users who have felt that the investment in AATranslator is worth it to their workflow, income or whatever.
Remember, if you are a Reaper user who gets an OMF or AAF every now and then we do have a conversion service available - we convert it and you are happy with the result then you make a donation of your choosing with that amount coming off any future purchase of AATranslator.
We can't really be any fairer than that.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
... the majority have purchased to convert to/from OMF, AAF and or ProTools.
That‘s what I would have guessed

Quote:
We can't really be any fairer than that.
I‘ll definily keep that in mind.

Chris
Old 03-24-2019, 11:35 PM   #26
kris.audioplanet

Default Mac OS X

How would I use AATranslator on Mac OS X? Will a Windows emulation work?
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:38 AM   #27
EvilDragon

Yes, WINE should work.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 AM   #28
Runaway

As EvilDragon correctly states AATranslator will work quite nicely with WINE. In addition it works just as well with any of the other popular PC emulators.

Should you purchase, you will be automatically supplied with detailed instructions on how to install AAT on a Mac
Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #29
fakemaxwell

Do you have any plans for when MacOS goes 64-bit only? I know it's a bit of a ways off but in Apple's....infinite wisdom, it'll be here eventually. How that affects WINE is currently murky.
fakemaxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #30
Runaway

While some may say that failing to plan is planning to fail all I can say is that we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:09 AM   #31
gapalil001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.audioplanet View Post
How would I use AATranslator on Mac OS X? Will a Windows emulation work?
according to AAtranslator site, newest AAtranslator version doesn't works woth Wine or Crossover (but they did) so now you can convert files only on windows. there was a script for 32 bit versions of REAPER, that can load OMF (but i'm not sure about AAF) but i have no idea why it doesn't works for newest versions
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #32
Yanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapalil001 View Post
according to AAtranslator site, newest AAtranslator version doesn't works woth Wine or Crossover (but they did) so now you can convert files only on windows. there was a script for 32 bit versions of REAPER, that can load OMF (but i'm not sure about AAF) but i have no idea why it doesn't works for newest versions
I have to admit that the AATranslator is weak compared to Vordio, and the Vordio author has been developing it for a very long time and constantly improving it, apparently the OMF/AAF/XML import/export as a standard function remains relevant
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #33
gapalil001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
I have to admit that the AATranslator is weak compared to Vordio, and the Vordio author has been developing it for a very long time and constantly improving it, apparently the OMF/AAF/XML import/export as a standard function remains relevant
Vordio works both on Mac and pc, and have a pleasure UI/UX. AAtranlator looks highly terrible and doesn't works on macOS anyway, but seems like it can convert anything to anything from/to any single exist DAW or video editor. Vordio have a limited formats list
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #34
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post

Vordio works both on Mac and pc, and have a pleasure UI/UX. AAtranlator looks highly terrible and doesn't works on macOS anyway, but seems like it can convert anything to anything from/to any single exist DAW or video editor. Vordio have a limited formats list
AAT has been around since 1999 and while we have been around longer than many other DAW/NLE converters, understandably, we also convert not only more AAF variants than any other converter but we convert many more formats than any other converter as well.
Now I'm the first to admit that the AAT UI is a bit dated so with that (and lots of other things) in mind we have been actively developing AAT2.
AAT2 will have a lot more features, a much slicker UI, be significantly faster, accept non-English filenames and (at this stage) initially run on a Mac under an emulator but then a little down the track natively.
Like AAT1, it is anticipated that AAT2 will have free updates for life - not many can claim that.
Having said all that, the good thing is that users have choices. John has a great product in Vordio and if that suits your needs then you need to support him and purchase that one.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #35
McSound

My 2 cents. I have both AAT and recently Vordio. AAT works wonderful with Reaper. Some time ago I had successfully converted ProTools session with russian text in markers to Reaper. Even colors translated correctly not mentioning the item volumes and fades. Great work, Runaway! Can’t wait for AAT2 Vordio is just waiting for its turn to figure out its abilities.

Last edited by McSound; 11-10-2021 at 12:19 AM.
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:25 AM   #36
Tim Rideout

AAF indeed only supports audio files - which is perfectly normal.

And indeed, AATranslator absolutely nails AAF conversion - which is the way you need to go.

Plus, they are a small, independent company - they do a great job, and it's nice to support such players in our industry.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #37
_Stevie_

You are quoting a 3 year old post
I have purchased AAT long ago.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:14 AM   #38
Tim Rideout

Great to be back, isn't it?

Quote:
You are quoting a 3 year old post
I have purchased AAT long ago.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #39
_Stevie_

Oh goodness, I didn't realize you were away for that long.
Welcome back indeed! Did you take a break from REAPER?
Old 09-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #40
Omfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Who's implementation of OMF should the cockos devs go with?

Cockos should examine the OMF file’s Identification Class (IDNT) object. The “OMFI:IDNT:CompanyName” property identifies the company and the “OMFI:IDNT:ProductName” identifies the product.

As far as ingesting is concerned, THAT will tell them who's implementation they should go with.

And yes, I realize that the question is almost four years old.

Last edited by Omfoo; 09-08-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Omfoo is offline   Reply With Quote