Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
guitarville japan
Human being with feelings

Default Off-line

Hi folks. I'm trying to import a vlc file into "insert into media file" but all I get is "off-line".
What is happening? Many of my vlc files work in media file when I import them.
guitarville japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarville japan View Post
I'm trying to import a vlc file into "insert into media file"..
This might be a technical nitpicking... but do you really mean .VLC file? I mean there's no such thing as a VLC media file. VLC plays other media formats but doesn't have it's own. Or am I missing something here?

.VLC is a playlist file and has a list of file names for the VLC to play them back... I had no idea that Reaper even could open that format in any way
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
guitarville japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
This might be a technical nitpicking... but do you really mean .VLC file? I mean there's no such thing as a VLC media file. VLC plays other media formats but doesn't have it's own. Or am I missing something here?

.VLC is a playlist file and has a list of file names for the VLC to play them back... I had no idea that Reaper even could open that format in any way
Yes, a VLC player with mp3 can be imported into Media and a new track will show up with the mp3. Works most of the time, but for some reason sometimes is doesn't.
For example if I download a file (backing track ) from Active Melody and it goes into my VLC player I can import it (drag) into Reaper. But from other sites I can run into problems of it showing up as off-line on the tracks.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Works most of the time, but for some reason sometimes is doesn't.
For example if I download a file (backing track ) from Active Melody and it goes into my VLC player I can import it (drag) into Reaper. But from other sites I can run into problems of it showing up as off-line on the tracks.
What are the properties (file format, bitrate, etc.) of the file in this case, exactly?
Or can you maybe attach one of the files (where the import isn't working) to a post?

Other things to check in general:

- Does it make any difference when copying/moving a 'non-working' file to a different folder location and then importing it from there?
- Is VLC installed in the same bit-version as Reaper?
  • Reaper 32-bit > VLC 32-bit
  • Reaper 64-bit > VLC 64-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarville japan"
I'm trying to import a vlc file...
Quote:
Yes, a VLC player with mp3 can be imported into Media and a new track will show up with the mp3...
Just as a general side note: If the VLC player icon is shown for files in the file explorer, it basically just means that VLC player is associated as default application for opening these files types.

Last edited by solger; 03-23-2019 at 01:30 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #5
guitarville japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
What are the properties (file format, bitrate, etc.) of the file in this case, exactly?
Or can you maybe attach one of the files (where the import isn't working) to a post?

Other things to check in general:

- Does it make any difference when copying/moving a 'non-working' file to a different folder location and then importing it from there?
- Is VLC installed in the same bit-version as Reaper?
  • Reaper 32-bit > VLC 32-bit
  • Reaper 64-bit > VLC 64-bit

Just as a general side note: If the VLC player icon is shown for files in the file explorer, it basically just means that VLC player is associated as default application for opening these files types.
This is what I'm trying to import.

https://app.box.com/s/b2ykkgenurxtrwisyem483iseto9atzp
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Importing the .m4a file works fine here on Reaper v5.973.

Since it's a .m4a file, it's most likely a codec issue of handling the .m4a format. Here are some things to try in this case:
  • Renaming the file extension from .m4a to .m4v or .mp4 (try both) before importing the file into Reaper
  • Using an audio converter software to convert the .m4a file to a different file format (.mp3, etc.) before importing the file into Reaper
  • Double-checking if VLC is installed in the same Bit-Version as Reaper (see my previous post) - so Reaper has access to the VLC audio/video codecs **
  • In case you're using an older Reaper version (current version is 5.973): updating Reaper to a newer version or doing a portable install to a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing install) to check if the behavior is the same there: http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable

** If I remember correctly: VLC 2.2.8 for Reaper versions up to 5.92. And VLC 2.2.8 or VLC 3.x for Reaper versions 5.93 or higher.

Last edited by solger; 03-26-2019 at 11:23 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote