Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Ivo Sedlacek
Human being with feelings

Default Easiest way to prolong the item by adding silence ?

What is the easiest way to prolong the item by adding silence to it ? Trimming is not the way since the audio continues.Simply I have items and need to add 2-3 sec of silence in the end of each (within making the CD image)
Ivo Sedlacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:06 AM   #2
xpander

Trimming could be the way if you do not loop the source; Item settings, untick Loop item source.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 AM   #3
Ivo Sedlacek

No, trimming is not the way, because the item is already trimmed (and its audio content continues)
Old 10-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #4
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo Sedlacek View Post
No, trimming is not the way, because the item is already trimmed (and its audio content continues)
Maybe in the end of this thread you find what you are after?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209766
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 AM   #5
martifingers

It is precisely for things like this that I still use Audition.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
Fergler

My workflow, which involves the use of one custom key, is:

Select item
Create + Fit time selection to selection (sorry not at Reaper right now for the actual action)
Drag the time selection out to where I want the item to end
Glue (or: you can render to new take if you want to keep the original untouched but still accessible in the project)

Or I do the selection by hand if everything lines up nice on the grid.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Ivo Sedlacek

Thank you ... or maybe the easiest to render the item with "add tail" in the rendering dialogue ? (and then export back
Old 10-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
Ivo Sedlacek

The question however is how would the CD behave when playing when there is no pause set (or pause = 0.00), would it be ok are some risk of clicks or other disturbances when going to the next track ?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
xpander

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I missed that you had trimmed the original item shorter. In that case trimming it longer would indeed first expand to the original (source) length anyway, looping or not. Glueing will set the current length, then trimming it longer would add just silence if source is not looped.

Quote:
The question however is how would the CD behave when playing when there is no pause set (or pause = 0.00), would it be ok are some risk of clicks or other disturbances when going to the next track ?
I have made several CDs with no gaps between the tracks and the only noticeable difference was if the CD player was programmed to play certain songs or just play everything through. Even if all the tracks were programmed to be played through in the original order, depending on the CD player there would be a slight gap between the songs. If I'd choose to just play through, there were no gaps, it was seamless. That behavior cannot be determined by any CD markers or such while making the CDs. It depends on the actual CD player playback capabilities..
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
Ivo Sedlacek

The band wishes there are no pauses between certain tracks and pauses between another, so my idea is to set 0 sec pause in Reaper setting and to prolong the tracks by silence (after which the pause is required)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
EpicSounds

turn on ripple edit all tracks and slide them over.

Or use 'reposition selected items' action to set time between item ends.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
turn on ripple edit all tracks and slide them over.

Or use 'reposition selected items' action to set time between item ends.
^^^ Exactly. You don't need actual audio data to fill up gaps between CD tracks. Portions without audio data come out as silence on a CD. In Reaper, the start of a new CD track is defined by a track marker which simply is a "normal" marker whose ID defines the no. of the track and whose name has to begin with # (hash/sharp sign). If you intend to create a CD you should go for the DDP format. It is the most professional and reliable way to create a CD (premaster). DDPs can be burned without re-opening the corresponding Reaper project, they can be verified to be absolutely error-free prior to buring them. They are the preferred way to provide a premaster to a CD pressing plant.

It's easy to do in Reaper and with the help of the free app DDPToCueWriter by forum member Wyatt you can verify and burn DDPs and also extract the separate audio tracks from them. Your friends/clients may do the same if you provide them this app.

Pauses are a very important, powerful and underestimated stylistic tool to create tension and an interesting flow of the tracks on a CD! From an artistic point of view, it never works out right if one simply inserts the same x seconds of silence between tracks and obviously, there are CDs that require seemless transitions without silence (overlapping titles) like a CD of a live performance.

Here's how to create a DDP, also covering the aforementioned stylistic aspects: