Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
phunkyg
Human being with feelings

Default ReaControl24 - Latest Release and News

Hi All, I am @phunkyg and I am now the maintainer of the ReaControl24 middleware for Reaper and Digidesign Control24 hardware.

About ReaControl24:

It is a python project to run alongside Reaper that allows communication with a Digidesign Control24 digital control surface using Reaper.OSC. Once installed and running, you should be able to use:
  • Faders (smooth and responsive, all 24 at once if you need)
  • Pan on Pots, with LED feedback and fine adjustment (hold CMD button)
  • VU meters (except the BUS ones - working on that)
  • Scribble strips (track names, last edited param, configuable)
  • Channel Strip buttons
  • Navigation
  • Transport
  • Jog-Wheel (reaper native Scrub and Shuttle)
  • Clock (beats, time, samples as selected from the desk button)
  • All main surface buttons are mappable to reaper action learn or via Reaper.OSC file

How do I get it?
Visit the Releases page and grab the latest download. Follow the README.md for instructions.

Can I get involved? Can I get new features? Can I get a bugfix? Can I pass back test results?
Yes, Grab yourself a github account here
Then visit the repository page to see what is going on, add an issue, or whatever you need to.
I will also check this thread for activity periodically.

Will you support other control surfaces like the ProControl?
There is work going on a the moment to make this possible, but it is difficult without having physical access to one. There are some brave volunteers already willing to help out, but more are always welcome.

What help do you need
Currently the focus is on these work streams, so any help is appreciated! The skills needed are in brackets at the end:
  • Installation packaging including scripts to help install prerequisites (Powershell, Macos dev)
  • Front End / GUI / helper app (Python, tkinter or similar, Windows dev, Macos dev)
  • More mappings, stateful controls (Python)
  • ProControl support (Python)
  • ProControl testing (owning one, having time, being nice)

Why the new thread?:
Unfortunately, phasewalker is no longer with us, so his original postings are locked away in his accounts. I agreed to take up the project, so it seems a good idea to gain control over the threads and repo.
The original thread is here
From today, I'm closing off the old thread and redirecting the new news and gossip into this thread, so I can gain control over editing and updating. I am also forking the github repo for the same reason.
phunkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
phunkyg

Default Windows Setup Video

Hi all,

To help with the awkward Windows setup, there is now a help video in the doc folder of the ReaControl github page.

If you're been having any issues getting installed in Windows, please watch this video to see if it helps. As always, all feedback gratefully received.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
lokey

Default procontrol support

any updates about this working for a procontrol with fader pack expansions?
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
lokey

Default ReaProControl

A ReaProControl script would be awesome! Can anyone make this happen?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
Subers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkyg View Post
Hi all,

To help with the awkward Windows setup, there is now a help video in the doc folder of the ReaControl github page.

If you're been having any issues getting installed in Windows, please watch this video to see if it helps. As always, all feedback gratefully received.
Hi.
I can not go to the link to the video. Not available says.
Subers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subers View Post
Hi.
I can not go to the link to the video. Not available says.
My bad. Try this link:

https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaContro...dows_Setup.mp4
Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Subers

Quote:
Thank you! Upload completed.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
Subers

Hi. Such error

C:\ReaControl24-1.1.2>python control24d.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "control24d.py", line 650, in <module>
main()
File "control24d.py", line 632, in main
SESSION = C24session(opts, networks)
File "control24d.py", line 555, in __init__
self.thread_pcap_loop = Sniffer(self)
File "control24d.py", line 262, in __init__
c24session.pcap_sess.setfilter(filtstr)
File "pcap.pyx", line 288, in pcap.pcap.setfilter
OSError: ethernet addresses supported only on ethernet/FDDI/token ring/802.11/ATM LANE/Fibre Channel
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
phunkyg

Default Logged

Quote:
Hi. Such error

main()
OSError: ethernet addresses supported only on ethernet/FDDI/token ring/802.11/ATM LANE/Fibre Channel
Logged here: https://github.com/phunkyg/ReaControl24/issues/2
Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
Lazloos

Quote:
Hi. Such error

main()
Is there a solution for this error? I am trying to set it up on windows and I get this same error
Lazloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #11
phunkyg

Default Temp files in temp dirs

Hello again, PhunkyG here with a quick ReaControl update.

Firstly, thanks to everyone getting involved over at github! Sorry for being slow moving on the issues you've reported, IRL activity is at a peak right now but I'm hoping to devote some extra time here soon.

A couple of things are going on: Testing for Pro Control support is starting up in the branch DEV_OtherDevices. It is early days right now but hey, any movement is good right

For anyone that has the problem of getting started up because folder rights for logging cause problems, there is a pending fix in branch DEV_TempFiles. This moves all logging to somewhere within the default TEMP directory of the platform. This needs a good testing before being merged down so anyone willing to give that a spin would be helping out a lot!

I see prices of these devices on eBay etc. continue to climb. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not but a big Hi to anyone that just acquired one and is looking for Reaper compatibility!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #12
phunkyg

Default A wild ProControl appears!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-Digi...r/333073357582
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
lokey

Default Pro Control and Expansion Pack Reaper Compatibility

I'm intersted in helping get Pro Control working with Reaper if you need someone to test things or anything I can help with. I have a Pro Control and Fader Expansion Pack.

Quote:
Hello again, PhunkyG here with a quick ReaControl update.

Firstly, thanks to everyone getting involved over at github! Sorry for being slow moving on the issues you've reported, IRL activity is at a peak right now but I'm hoping to devote some extra time here soon.

A couple of things are going on: Testing for Pro Control support is starting up in the branch DEV_OtherDevices. It is early days right now but hey, any movement is good right

For anyone that has the problem of getting started up because folder rights for logging cause problems, there is a pending fix in branch DEV_TempFiles. This moves all logging to somewhere within the default TEMP directory of the platform. This needs a good testing before being merged down so anyone willing to give that a spin would be helping out a lot!

I see prices of these devices on eBay etc. continue to climb. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not but a big Hi to anyone that just acquired one and is looking for Reaper compatibility!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #14
phunkyg

Default Today was about Quitting

Quitting as in shutting down the program gracefully!

Anyone that's been testing lately will probably recognise Issue 17 - Can't quit

It is a pain to be sure, not being able to clean up gracefully, leaving ports used etc. is a real thorn in the side to use and test these releases.

So, I dedicated the time I had today to working out why this is. Fixes have gone into the DEV_OtherDevices_Refactor branch with all the other latest work.

Please give this a spin if you can!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #15
nesgovoroff

Quote:
Quitting as in shutting down the program gracefully!

Anyone that's been testing lately will probably recognise Issue 17 - Can't quit

It is a pain to be sure, not being able to clean up gracefully, leaving ports used etc. is a real thorn in the side to use and test these releases.

So, I dedicated the time I had today to working out why this is. Fixes have gone into the DEV_OtherDevices_Refactor branch with all the other latest work.

Please give this a spin if you can!
Hey phunkyg,
Nice to see that!
I'd like to give it a try, could you tell me, is there just one process file now? I mean could I use only reacontrol.py as daemon and skip running control24d and control24osc files?
nesgovoroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #16
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesgovoroff View Post
could I use only reacontrol.py as daemon and skip running control24d and control24osc files?
Yeah that's how this new code works, you run just ReaControl.py and it controls the launch of the client processes according to which devices are found.

I'm hoping if I can get it working as well as the previous release then this will be the start of a new major version series.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #17
phunkyg

Messy error with the OSC part dying right away cleaned up in that new code. Apologies to lazloos and anyone else that tried it out to find no comms! Have another go.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #18
Matt Pinchin

Default Install problem

Hi first post here
I am trying to install Reacontrol24 on my windows 10 64bit pc by following the video tutorial. I have followed the instructions exaclty but when I try to run the command in CMD I am getting errors. I am running as administrator.
The output in CMD is as follows. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Found pcap headers in ..\wpdpack\include\pcap.h
Found libraries in ..\wpdpack\lib/x64\wpcap.lib
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
creating pypcap.egg-info
writing pypcap.egg-info\PKG-INFO
writing dependency_links to pypcap.egg-info\dependency_links.txt
writing top-level names to pypcap.egg-info\top_level.txt
writing manifest file 'pypcap.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest file 'pypcap.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
writing manifest file 'pypcap.egg-info\SOURCES.txt'
installing library code to build\bdist.win-amd64\egg
running install_lib
running build_ext
building 'pcap' extension
creating build
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.8
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.8\Release
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\b in\HostX86\x64\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /W3 /GL /DNDEBUG /MD -I..\wpdpack\include "-IC:\Program Files\Python38\include" "-IC:\Program Files\Python38\include" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\i nclude" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\ucrt" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\shared" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\um" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\winrt" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\cppwinrt" /Tcpcap.c /Fobuild\temp.win-amd64-3.8\Release\pcap.obj -DWIN32 -DWPCAP -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS
pcap.c
pcap.c(2619): warning C4996: 'PyObject_AsCharBuffer': deprecated in 3.0
pcap.c(19904): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(22848): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
C:\Program Files\Python38\include\cpython/pystate.h(51): note: see declaration of '_ts'
pcap.c(22849): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
C:\Program Files\Python38\include\cpython/pystate.h(51): note: see declaration of '_ts'
pcap.c(22850): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22857): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22858): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22859): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22860): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22861): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22862): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22907): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22908): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22909): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22910): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22911): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22912): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(22962): warning C4020: 'function through pointer': too many actual parameters
pcap.c(24413): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24414): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24415): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24416): error C2039: 'exc_type': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24417): error C2039: 'exc_value': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(24418): error C2039: 'exc_traceback': is not a member of '_ts'
pcap.c(26219): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26219): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26239): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26240): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26244): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26246): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26246): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26253): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26255): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26255): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26262): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26264): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26264): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26284): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26287): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26294): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26295): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26296): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26300): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26302): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26302): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26309): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26311): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26311): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26318): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26320): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26320): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26327): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26329): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
pcap.c(26329): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored

pcap.c(26408): warning C4197: '__pyx_atomic_int': top-level volatile in cast is ignored
error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2019\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.26.2 8801\\bin\\HostX86\\x64\\cl.exe' failed with exit status 2
Matt Pinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:52 AM   #19
tovi_port

Default Hide Channels

Hil. Does anybody know how to hide channels. For instance if I have channels in a folder and I close the folder int he mixer, the channels still remain visible. Same thing happens when I op the Track Manager. When hiding channels they still show up on the mixer. Thanks guys
tovi_port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #20
tovi_port

Default Mac M1 Silicone

Hi. Has anyone had any luck running this on M1 Mac Silicone.
tovi_port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #21
phunkyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovi_port View Post
Hi. Has anyone had any luck running this on M1 Mac Silicone.
It should run fine as long as the dependencies do, and that has been a problem with the ever changing macos landscape.

Have you tried and failed and need help, or just looking for pre-info?
Old 07-26-2022, 06:36 AM   #22
phunkyg

Default ReaControl V2 Roadmap

Hi all,

A little news is due regarding ReaControl...

So recently I had the opportunity to work with Disruptormon and his Control24,

Our sessions mostly concentrated on acting on feedback and issues experienced by users:

* difficulty with installation
* difficulty understanding configuration
* launching being awkward/too techy / needing python fu

So I'd like to announce a new direction for a V2 release of ReaControl that should wrap in a number of improvements:

* A GUI configuration utility
* File based configuration capability
* Desktop / service launchers
* The single executable
* Multiple device support

Unfortunately while making 'other' device support a main feature, we haven't had an opportunity to work on new mappings provided by the community.
This release will however make the right moves toward making it easier/more accessible to work on mappings for other devices.

Watch this space!
Old 11-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #23
Gertius

Does this also support the Avid C24? Do they have the same protocol?

Sorry if this has already been covered, I have searched the forum and the GitHub page, but couldn´t find an answer.
Gertius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:04 PM   #24
Muziekschuur

Working on a deal to purchase a digidesign Control24

Then I will own a command8 and a control24 (if the deal pulls thru)
Muziekschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:14 AM   #25
iic

Quote:
Hi all,

A little news is due regarding ReaControl...

So recently I had the opportunity to work with Disruptormon and his Control24,

Our sessions mostly concentrated on acting on feedback and issues experienced by users:

* difficulty with installation
* difficulty understanding configuration
* launching being awkward/too techy / needing python fu

So I'd like to announce a new direction for a V2 release of ReaControl that should wrap in a number of improvements:

* A GUI configuration utility
* File based configuration capability
* Desktop / service launchers
* The single executable
* Multiple device support

Unfortunately while making 'other' device support a main feature, we haven't had an opportunity to work on new mappings provided by the community.
This release will however make the right moves toward making it easier/more accessible to work on mappings for other devices.

Watch this space!
Hi Phunkyg,

Did you manage to get anywhere with any of these ideas.

Also havnt been able to find any information regarding the FTR version on github, what exactly is it...?

@ALL
Im trying to get the most recent version of the script going, so I believe I need to create a folder on my system install there and Replace the OSC file in reaper, then select that OSC file for the new install of Reacontrol in reper preferences, is this correct. Just trying to get some pre-info before I break my current workflow. Im failry happy with the initial script, but after reading through all the threads on this subject, im happy to test out a the most uptodate version.

Any ideas in this respect will be great.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by iic; 09-30-2023 at 12:19 AM.
iic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:07 PM   #26
Muziekschuur

Will Midi 2.0 have remote control as part of the protocol? Any way to integrate current development within Midi 2.0? Or are we talking apples and oranges?

Currently (re) building A Mac Pro 4.1/5.1 dual cpu 6 core with 128gb ram. And aqcuired digidesign HD192 converters... Still on the hunt for a HD native card.

Should I go to Sonoma? Or should I go (stay) at Catalina... And dual boot with snow leopard or high sierra to allso use old HD cards... (Maybe get a second machine for that to run Protools 10 with HD accell cards) (to compare latency issues with Reaper?).

Any requests so it can help testing?
Muziekschuur is offline   Reply With Quote