Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-02-2019, 01:40 AM   #1
Aries1985
Human being with feelings

Default Yamaha MOXF Control Surface Library for REAPER

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

let me announce first version of Yamaha MOXF control surface library for REAPER. It allows MOXF's DAW Remote mode to be used with REAPER with functionality similar to Cubase, however better integrated with REAPER and supporting JS plugins as well.

See the demo video and grab it on the Stash.

Configuration is done in CSV files and each part of configuration is in separate file. It is possible to share configurations you have created with others or merge other configurations to your existing ones. If you have configuration you would like to ship with the plugin, feel free to reply to this thread.

I hope you enjoy this, share the word on this and other forums and if you like it a lot, feel free to donate via PayPal.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Miscreant

Hey there--happy I found your post. I'm wondering if you can tell me whether there is any chance of getting this degree of functionality on a Motif Classic 7?

That's what I'm running, and though I have basic MIDI controller functionality, it unfortunately is limited (e.g., cannot use transport buttons on the Motif to toggle Reaper).
Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
nkopp

This looks amazing! I have a MOXF8 that I bought shortly before the MODX was released (and have been somewhat jealous of MODX owners ever since). However, if this works as good as it seems, I won't need to be jealous any more!
nkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
nkopp

Downloaded and tested with a MOXF8 with Reaper 6.10 (the latest) on Windows 10. The MOXF is set with "DAW Select" = "Cubase".

Here's my testing results:

Track Mode:
- track switching works
- TrackName is shown
- jog works
- transport controls work
- volume & balance work
- turning the bottom row of knobs *crashes* Reaper
- mute and solo buttons don't work (no effect)
- pressing Quick Setup buttons 4, 5, 6 crashes reaper

TCPFX Mode:
I'm not quite sure quite how this mode is supposed to work, but I tried following the video.
- TrackName is shown
- pressing SF1 after moving a control has no effect

I have not tried plugin mode yet.
nkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkopp View Post
Downloaded and tested with a MOXF8 with Reaper 6.10 (the latest) on Windows 10. The MOXF is set with "DAW Select" = "Cubase".

Here's my testing results:

Track Mode:
- track switching works
- TrackName is shown
- jog works
- transport controls work
- volume & balance work
- pressing Quick Setup buttons 4, 5, 6 crashes reaper

TCPFX Mode:
I'm not quite sure quite how this mode is supposed to work, but I tried following the video.
- TrackName is shown

Hmmmm. Interesting. I wonder if I'd get any mileage trying this on the Motif 7 Classic.
Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:26 AM   #6
Aries1985

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
quite a few posts lately here! I haven't set up e-mail notifications for the thread, that is fixed now.

It seems that some time is needed before the word spreads. I'll address your questions in separate posts.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:35 AM   #7
Aries1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
I'm wondering if you can tell me whether there is any chance of getting this degree of functionality on a Motif Classic 7?
At current plugin state, it is sadly not possible. However, in case that DAW remote mode messages are the same as on MOXF (which might be the case), it would be possible to easily add support for it. It needs further investigation. If you would like to cooperate on this, I'd look into the compatibility.

From you, it would suppose that:

- you have working setup with Cubase and Motif Classic supporting DAW remote
- and could capture MIDI messages going to Motifand also capture what is on the screen of the Motif

I could look if it is compatible.

If the DAW remote messages are incompatible, it is still possible to technically support it, but it would be more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
(e.g., cannot use transport buttons on the Motif to toggle Reaper).
This could be possible even without the plugin. Do you happen to have Reference guide for your Motif at hand?

If so, look for setting called SeqCtrl (it is called like this on MOXF).

On MOXF (which I have), it is under [UTILITY] -> MIDI -> MIDI Sync -> External -> SeqCtrl In/Out. When turned on, it should react to REAPERs play controls and also it should send the commands to it.

Not sure if REAPER has setting to send transport control. If you know about it, look at it as well.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 AM   #8
Aries1985

Quote:
That really should not happen. Can you post screenshot of your MOXF control surface configuration? What file did you use for EQ config setting?

It means that the EQ configuration is somehow incorrect. However, it still should not crash REAPER, just to not work. In the future (if there is enough interest in the library), I could add better configuration checking with more meaningful messages in settings dialog.

Quote:
This is strange. Tracks must be selected for this to work.

Can you try selecting the tracks and In REAPER, select Actions -> Show actions list, then searching for action "Track: Toggle mute for selected tracks" and executing it?

Quote:
pressing Quick Setup buttons 4, 5, 6 crashes reaper
Good catch. They should have no action as the plugin has only 3 modes that can be switched by them. That is bug I need to fix. However, the workaround is to not use them, as nothing is assigned to them.

Quote:
TCPFX Mode:
- TrackName is shown
This mode is for controlling parameters displayed in Track Controls (REAPER's functionality) - explained here: https://reaperblog.net/2019/03/track-controls/

Button behavior: The button actions in all the modes are configured in CSV file for Button Actions. You can assign any REAPER actions to it - even plugins and you custom action.

It requires manual setup of button actions. By default, there are no actions assigned to them.

Quote:
This is, in my opinion, the best mode. It requires manual settings in Plugin Config file, however it allows you to control even JSFX plugins (which cannot be done e.g. with Automap from Novation).

Have your read through whole README.html attached to plugin? If some things are not clearly explained, it should be improved.

Last edited by Aries1985; 06-06-2020 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Answer to next post
Aries1985 is offline   Reply With Quote