Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
Avis71
Human being with feelings

Default render the regions to seperate video files Without Compression

Dear All,

I have one large mkv file that i've seperated in regions and now i would like to render the regions to seperate video files but i don't want to use the compression, i need to keep the seperate files in exactly the same format as the original.
I couldn't find anything the switch the compression off or select copy instead of a compressor.

Thanks in advance
Avis
Avis71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:08 AM   #2
domzy

i don't think you can just split video files in Reaper, you will need to re-render the regions, probably choosing MKV and the Huffyuv codec will give best results, or use a dedicated video editor?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
Avis71

Since Reaper use ffmeg, i had a look at the below link
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html
It's explained that it's possible to use copy stream instead of encoding. From a command line perspective it's easy. I guess in the worst case i need to find an 'dummy encoder' that only copies the stream.
In that way reaper doesn't need to do anything special to achieve this.

Regarding using a dedicated video editor....
i tried a couple but many inc adobe don't support mkv which all my source files are in. if mkv is supported they don't support multiple crops and queued processing.
The best i could find was Bigasoft total video converter.
It's nice software but Reaper has a realy nice GUI for making multiple regions in one mkv file. In my case it's really useful to see the soundtrack so i know where to mark the video. If somebody can recommend an editor who can do all this i will be grateful too.

Regarding using lossless video format,
Yes I am donig that but it takes a long time, i have many large files and the overhead is huge, i waist a lof of time, first decode from mkv (Mediainfo shows Codec ID: V_MPeg4.ISO/AVC) to lossless format and then encode again

I am also thinking of experimenting with making regions, export to csv and import this in MKVToolNix but it seems combersome.

However i suspect that somehow with a small nifty trick this should be possible in reaper. If i could only install a dummy encoder which copies the audio and video....

i would be grateful for a more simple solution
Thanks
Avis71 is offline   Reply With Quote