Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings

Default Did I install Reaper incorrectly?

I have two storage spaces on my PC:

1. A 500gb m.2 ssd drive(as drive C) that I keep my operating system on plus one video game that i currently play the most to speed up loading times

2. A 5TB HDD (as drive D). I keep four other video games stored on that.

I originally built my pc to run solidworks, a CAD program that I'll be learning when I start engineering school next year. The idea was to use the m.2 drive to store the operating system and hopefully solidworks, which is why i don't put much more on that m.2 drive until I get it. However I do have blender on my m.2 drive until I get solidworks.

The purpose of the 5TB is for stuff that I wouldn't really need on my C drive.

I wasn't sure how much storage space Reaper would take up, but I know that over time that saved projects would take up storage space.

So When I downloaded/installed Reaper, I created a new file on my 5TB D drive and labeled it "Reaper DAW" and I installed Reaper directly into that folder, then put a shortcut icon on my screen.

Yesterday I downloaded a few VST plugins(an amp sim and a couple pedal sims) just for the purpose of gaining experience on learning how to install them, because a couple I had to install manually per instructions that came in PDF format with the plugins. But those plugins ended up on my C drive!

So um, did I do something wrong in my installation?

If it helps, when I downloaded reaper for the first time, I installed it on my C drive, but when the latest version came out, I uninstalled Reaper and downloaded/installed the latest version on my D drive into the folder I made. I didn't start downloading/installing plugins until AFTER I had reaper on my D drive. And yet those plugins are are being stored in my C drive.

It's not a problem now but It might be in the future as I learn more about this DAW and have more plugins. So how do I have my plugins stored on my D drive instead of my C drive?

Note: This is where my plugins are stored on my PC:

C drive/program files/steinberg/VSTPlugins

And for some reason there's another plugin file on my D drive that isn't being used, or at least stuff isn't being installed there:

D drive/Reaper DAW/Plugins ...and there's a ton of plugins here but I think they're the ones that come WITH Reaper, but I'm too much of a noob to know better
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Xenakios

Where Reaper and 3rd party plugins are installed and where your Reaper project files and recordings are, are all separate things.

Some plugins will insist to be installed on your main system drive and then you just usually have to allow them to do that. (That can get problematic if those plugins come with huge sample libraries, but most plugins will have more or less sane disk space requirements.)

Reaper itself is very small compared to many other DAW applications and I don't see why you wouldn't want to install it on your main system drive. (But it should work fine from other drives too.) You can of course save your Reaper projects and their related audio files on your larger HDD drive, regardless of where Reaper itself is installed.

You should not install 3rd party plugins into the Plugins folder inside the Reaper installation folder (C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins or similar), that is intended to be used by Reaper's own plugins.

Last edited by Xenakios; 11-19-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
beginnerplayer666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Where Reaper and 3rd party plugins are installed and where your Reaper project files and recordings are, are all separate things.

Some plugins will insist to be installed on your main system drive and then you just usually have to allow them to do that. (That can get problematic if those plugins come with huge sample libraries, but most plugins will have more or less sane disk space requirements.)

Reaper itself is very small compared to many other DAW applications and I don't see why you wouldn't want to install it on your main system drive. (But it should work fine from other drives too.) You can of course save your Reaper projects and their related audio files on your larger HDD drive, regardless of where Reaper itself is installed.

You should not install 3rd party plugins into the Plugins folder inside the Reaper installation folder (C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins or similar), that is intended to be used by Reaper's own plugins.
Oh ok, so have Reaper installed on my C drive, and just save projects on my larger D drive, got it. I just uninstalled Reaper and reinstalled it on my C drive the way it was meant to be. I also discovered in this process that all my 3rd party plugins were not uninstalled in the process and I still have them all.

I went ahead and created a new file on my D drive to store any saved projects.

I guess I'll just keep things going this way for now until storage space becomes a problem, which I doubt I'll be advanced enough within a year to have so many plugins with huge libraries of samples for it to be a problem.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerplayer666 View Post
I also discovered in this process that all my 3rd party plugins were not uninstalled in the process and I still have them all.
They of course wouldn't be, because Reaper doesn't manage those, they are after all meant to be used with any other compatible host applications too, like FL Studio or Cubase.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
beginnerplayer666

Quote:
They of course wouldn't be, because Reaper doesn't manage those, they are after all meant to be used with any other compatible host applications too, like FL Studio or Cubase.
ok. so if I understand that right, if I download a free plugin that says it's meant for pro tools, for example, those plugins work for reaper?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/fre...ols-plug-ins-1
Old 11-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerplayer666 View Post
ok. so if I understand that right, if I download a free plugin that says it's meant for pro tools, for example, those plugins work for reaper?
No, ProTools has a special plugin format (AAX, previously also RTAS) that only works for ProTools. On Windows, VST plugins are the actual cross DAW compatible standard. Most plugins will have VST versions.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
beginnerplayer666

Quote:
No, ProTools has a special plugin format (AAX, previously also RTAS) that only works for ProTools. On Windows, VST plugins are the actual cross DAW compatible standard. Most plugins will have VST versions.
oh ok, thanks!