Old 05-21-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Artgerecht
Human being with feelings

Default Reason 11 Compatibility

Hello there,

I am new here and hope someone can help me.

So first I want to introduce myself. I am Alex, 35 years, I live in Germany and I am currently in the evaluation phase of Reaper. I am playing Guitar, Ukulele and a little keyboards. I was writing punk-music during my late teen years and was with a band. When school and apprentice was over the jobworld took over and the musical part in me vanished a litte. But now I want to get back to also write music.

I started mixing music a few years back when I did a course of Graham Cochrane, founder of the Youtube channel "The Recording Revolution". Back then I used the cheapest version of Cubase available, which is very limited in terms of tracks that you can use. Later I switched to Reason which is great for doing smaller projects like beats. For mixing bigger projects, however, Reason is a little stiff and not "ergonomic" enough for me when using VST-plugins and not the SSL emulation in combination with insert effects on the track. Since I am not a professional I have only a limited time frame where I can take care of my hobby. I need to get it done fast. That is why I found Reaper. It is cheap, has all it needs and the autocoloring function saves also a lot of time! And it supports VST3 which Reason doesn´t. Even if their own plugin version is VST3.

So here is my problem. I created a mixing template and used the Reason plugin several times on different FX tracks. Sometimes when I try to open the template during the opening process the Reason logo appears and thats basically it. It won´t open the project and is getting stuck there. When I restart my computer or simply but starting Reason standalone and then go back to reaper maybe I am lucky that it opens the project. Since a few days I could not manage to open the template which is why I did a new one without the Reason plugin. This is not causing any issues.

Does somebody have the same issues? Is this a compatibility problem?

Thank you for your help and have a nice day!
Artgerecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:35 AM   #2
mschnell

Default No Reason for Reason :)

Welcome to the Reaper forums !
I suppose it's a waste of time to get the Reason plugin to work decently for you.

You'd better completely move to Reaper and avoid that additional complexity.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-22-2020 at 02:36 AM. Reason: No Reason for Reason :)
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #3
Artgerecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3o View Post
Seem ok here-saving and reopening works in reaper 5.978x64 fwiw.. you may not be authorized in some way?
There is online authorize or not..demo mode should be fine,but no reloading of project saves.
This may be issue you experience.
I don´t know exactly what you mean by that. My Reason is authorized. Reaper is in the Demo mode which should normally not be a problem, since anything else seems to work properly. Also with other 3rd party plug-ins from Waves or Izotope already inserted in the template on many individual tracks.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #4
Artgerecht

Since I did a new template a made a copy of it on my external hdd. I will try a bit and when it does not open anymore I can use the backup. Pretty sure though that it is a little of a lucky game since it was able to open it sometimes. I wouldn´t want to rely on it working 100% of the time until I know for sure what exactly causes it to crash.

I only loaded the plug-in for the Reason Echo Delay. It was no complex rack or so.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3o View Post
Reaper offers very little in the way of instruments etc of what reason does...why avoid that?
Can the instruments that come with Reason not be used directly in another DAW ? Are they not conform to a standard such as VST ?

-Michael
Old 05-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
mschnell

I don't understand your wording at all

-Michael
Old 05-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #7
7blanche

Default Reason as plugin effect/instrument

Reason plugin constantly freezes Reaper on Mac for me. I use Nebula/Acqua and love the modulation, rack and player possibilities of Reason plugin. I use Cubase but from time to time I evaluate Reaper because of the CPU.

However, every version/update I test the Reason Rack plugin freezes Reaper (does not matter if its AU or VST3). Reason Rack plugin on Cubase Mac works stable.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
ReaMike

If Reason rack VST is crashing REAPER please do a bug report to COCKOS and Reason Studios.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:12 AM   #9
GNXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7blanche View Post
Reason plugin constantly freezes Reaper on Mac for me. I use Nebula/Acqua and love the modulation, rack and player possibilities of Reason plugin. I use Cubase but from time to time I evaluate Reaper because of the CPU.

However, every version/update I test the Reason Rack plugin freezes Reaper (does not matter if its AU or VST3). Reason Rack plugin on Cubase Mac works stable.
Yes reason rack is unusable only in Reaper for me as well it freezes reaper every time.
GNXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:56 AM   #10
ajmiller

I use Reason Rack VST no problem at all - very efficient. Full Reason Studios 11, Win10 and latest Reaper.
ajmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #11
Chris Diablo

I use the Reason 11 Rack VST multiple times in most projects, with Windows 10 and the latest Reaper version. I had some issues with Reaper getting stuck while loading Reason, but I think I changed how it was authorizing my copy of Reason 11, and it works pretty flawlessly now. It may be that Reason is verifying itself via the internet when you can choose to have it verified locally on your computer. Maybe this page will help...

https://www.reasonstudios.com/author...n?reason-suite
Chris Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote