Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 08-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
nathan.f77
Human being with feelings

Default Can I trigger a script to quantize MIDI when an item is added to a track?

I'm working on a live-looping workflow with Playtime (v1). One of the limitations is that it doesn't support automatic quantization, which is really important for drum tracks (especially for electronic music.) I really want to set it up so that any time I record some drums, the MIDI items get automatically quantized to 1/16.

Playtime bypasses the track recording settings, so I can't use the Input Quantize option: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=602
The best solution would be to add a "Quantize after recording" option directly to Playtime, but unfortunately it's a closed source VST plugin. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute things like this or create my own fork if Playtime 2 is open source.

There's a few ways to do this manually though:

1) Right click the slot inside the playtime UI and click the "Quantize (MIDI only)" option. Unfortunately it's not parameterized so I can't automate it easily (i.e. with ReaLearn.)
2) Open the item in the MIDI editor and quantize the notes

After playtime finishes recording in a slot, it inserts a new MIDI item into the track. I want to know if there's a way to hook into this "new MIDI item inserted" event, and then call a script to quantize all the notes in the item.

If it's not possible, then maybe I could just hook into the MIDI event when the pad is pressed to stop recording. I could probably wrap that event to trigger a script that stops the recording, starts playing the item, and then quantizes the item that is currently playing.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by nathan.f77; 08-08-2022 at 04:15 PM.
nathan.f77 is offline   Reply With Quote