Old 04-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Default v5.80pre3 - April 21 2018

+ MIDI editor: improve behavior with multiple pooled items as secondary editable items
# MIDI editor: fix latent editability bug [p=1981123]
# MIDI editor: when opening multiple selected items via action, make the item closest to the edit cursor active [p=1981299]

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
mccrabney

"selection follow" bug seems fixed.

i'm still finding myself losing full-track selection/editability while changing active items in the midi editor with "media item selection is linked to visibility" OFF.

i want to be able to change active items without losing the ability to edit the entire track's midi, and having to select-all-on-track again in order to regain the capability.

watch what happens when i select all items on the track with lasso, then change active item from within ME:

mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
i'm still finding myself losing full-track selection/editability while changing active items in the midi editor with "media item selection is linked to visibility" OFF.

i want to be able to change active items without losing the ability to edit the entire track's midi, and having to select-all-on-track again in order to regain the capability.
seems like using the “selection linked to active item” but not “selection linked to editability” would be the best mode for this (along with having it open all items on the track as editable to begin with)?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
seems like using the “selection linked to active item” but not “selection linked to editability” would be the best mode for this (along with having it open all items on the track as editable to begin with)?
yes, that provides the desired full-track-editable workflow.
however, doing this prevents me from seeing transparent midi from other tracks. having both is the desired workflow, because seeing other track midi is great for comparative editing.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
mccrabney

maybe it's "Media Item Selection is linked to Visibility"

when this is ticked, changing active midi item from the editor does not effect arrange view selection.

when this is unticked, changing active midi item changes arrange view selection. if this weren't the case, i think my issue would be resolved.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
maybe it's "Media Item Selection is linked to Visibility"

when this is ticked, changing active midi item from the editor does not effect arrange view selection.

when this is unticked, changing active midi item changes arrange view selection.
try it with both “visibility” and “editability” unlinked and then have it open all items in project (but only making those on the same track editable) = done
Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

when this is unticked, changing active midi item changes arrange view selection. if this weren't the case, i think my issue would be resolved.
So you want the ability to change the active midi item by selecting in the arrange, but to not make changing the active midi item affect the arrange selection?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
# MIDI editor: fix latent editability bug [p=1981123]
This seems to also have had a positive effect on the matters I posted in pre1 that were also present in pre2.

-----------------------------------------------

Ideally from my perspective, I would stay in the one at a time/visible secondaries only mode (which I was able to find for the most part in pre1) as a main/default mode. Then I would have the ability to go into multi item mode. I personally don't want to open all items on a track, or not be able to edit items on other tracks, while in the Multi-Item mode. Of course, I'm not saying this to oppose mccrabney getting what he wants, just saying there is other styles too.

So far, seems I can toggle the "Make secondary items editable..." pref to achieve opening some items as an editable group. Then as long as I keep every one of them selected in arrange, or unselect all but the one I want to switch to, I can keep that group of items as editable. (maybe that could be a little slicker). Then I can toggle back to Visible-Only mode afterwards. (this was very problematic/impossible in pre1-2)

But I can't find a way to activate a different editable item via MIDI note double click without leaving the currently Active item behind as visible only. I CAN maintain the Visible-Only workflow with MIDI note double click and that is most important to me, but it would be nice to find an alternative for when I go into Multi-Item mode.

But, all in all, lots of improvement to be thankful for so far.

Last edited by FnA; 04-21-2018 at 01:38 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote