Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
bhuether
Human being with feelings

Default ReaDelay Feedback versus routing output back to delay input?

Hi, curious if there is an actual difference between using the ReaDelay Feedback setting, versus just routing the delay output back into itself via track routing?

thanks!
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
jrk

One significant difference is that you'd have to enable "feedback routing" for it to work.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

You can also use the gmem send and receive plugins to do it on just one track without having to enable feedback routing. Either way, though, I'm pretty sure there's at least one buffer block worth of latency in the process, so that every repeat after the first will be slightly longer than what you set in ReaDelay. I don't think there's a good way to fix that. It's not a huge deal unless you really need tight timing for something.

The advantage, of course, is that you can use any number of other plugins in the feedback loop to do all kinds of crazy stuff. The least crazy of those might be to use a real hard limiter or clipper or saturation or something to keep it from escalating toward infinite volume with high amounts of feedback. Many people like to use filters and things. IIRC, the filters in ReaDelay itself are not actually in the feedback loop, so that the repeats don't get recursively filtered the way one might expect.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
the filters in ReaDelay itself are not actually in the feedback loop, so that the repeats don't get recursively filtered the way one might expect.
it does sound like the filtering is in the loop - at least to me. But you're right of course, some kind of feedback routing does allow you to patch in all kinds of daftness.

That said, I'm an enormous fan of "Nasty DLA" for daft delay fx.

Last edited by jrk; 10-19-2020 at 01:07 PM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote