Old 09-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
Stimulus
Human being with feelings

Default Things I Don't Think Reaper Has Yet

Hi All!

Here's some things I don't think Reaper has yet:-

1) Chord / Key Display
2) Automatic Detection of Midi Controller
3) Going Before the Timeline Option (Like 4 bars)
4) Dump To Midi / Capture Last Recording
5) A Quick Way To Rub Out in the Midi Editor (FL Studio - you can hold right click down and scrub out)
7) A Keyboard Shortcut To Send Selected Midi Notes to the Beginning of a Clip (in the midi editor)
8) Ability to paste a pattern into the midi editor (like a 4 on the floor)?
9) A Proper Notepad / Lyricpad

Thanks!
Stimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
MusoBob

ReaTrak will give you a chord track in Reaper.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
uncleswede

"3) Going Before the Timeline Option (Like 4 bars)"

You can set a negative project start bar in Project, Settings - e.g -4, so bar 1 starts four bars in on the timeline (if that's what you're referring to)...

"5) A Quick Way To Rub Out in the Midi Editor (FL Studio - you can hold right click down and scrub out)"

press Alt and left-click-drag to delete notes in the Midi Editor
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
lunker

In what context do you mean this? Reaper automatically detects my MIDI controllers. The last time I added a new one, it automatically showed up in the list of MIDI devices. Do you mean something else?

What exactly do you mean by this? Dump what to MIDI??? And what do you mean by "capture"? If you've recorded it, you've captured the performance. So it sounds like you mean something else.

The MIDI editor supports copy/paste. If you have copied MIDI events (notes, CC, ...) either from the active MIDI editor, or from a different one, you can paste them. Are you trying to import a MIDI file/pattern from somewhere outside Reaper? Or are you saying you want Reaper to provide pre-defined patterns that you can insert into the MIDI editor? Or something else?
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
solger

Here are some links that might be interesting.

Quote:
1) Chord / Key Display

Quote:
Old 09-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
Asaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus View Post
Hi All!

Here's some things I don't think Reaper has yet:-

1) Chord / Key Display
3) Going Before the Timeline Option (Like 4 bars)
5) A Quick Way To Rub Out in the Midi Editor (FL Studio - you can hold right click down and scrub out)
7) A Keyboard Shortcut To Send Selected Midi Notes to the Beginning of a Clip (in the midi editor)
9) A Proper Notepad / Lyricpad

Thanks!
Following
Asaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post

In what context do you mean this? Reaper automatically detects my MIDI controllers. The last time I added a new one, it automatically showed up in the list of MIDI devices. Do you mean something else?

What exactly do you mean by this? Dump what to MIDI??? And what do you mean by "capture"? If you've recorded it, you've captured the performance. So it sounds like you mean something else.

The MIDI editor supports copy/paste. If you have copied MIDI events (notes, CC, ...) either from the active MIDI editor, or from a different one, you can paste them. Are you trying to import a MIDI file/pattern from somewhere outside Reaper? Or are you saying you want Reaper to provide pre-defined patterns that you can insert into the MIDI editor? Or something else?
I mean, if you forget to switch it on when you launch Reaper, I have to go into the Preferences and select it from the list after switching it on before it will show up in the right click list to assign it to a midi track.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
Stimulus

I've just thought of another feature I don't think Reaper has either, tempo detect of audio like you can do in FL Studio. It will automatically detect the tempo (after a few seconds of analysis) and give you the tempo / bpm. It isn't always right but 8 times out of 10 it is.

FL also has Fit To Tempo which will allow you to automatically timestretch audio to the tempo of the track or put the track to the tempo / bpm of the audio.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
"3) Going Before the Timeline Option (Like 4 bars)"

You can set a negative project start bar in Project, Settings - e.g -4, so bar 1 starts four bars in on the timeline (if that's what you're referring to)...

"5) A Quick Way To Rub Out in the Midi Editor (FL Studio - you can hold right click down and scrub out)"

press Alt and left-click-drag to delete notes in the Midi Editor
Brilliant. Thanks for those tips.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus View Post
I mean, if you forget to switch it on when you launch Reaper, I have to go into the Preferences and select it from the list after switching it on before it will show up in the right click list to assign it to a midi track.
One option to refresh the MIDI devices list is to use the [Reset all MIDI Devices] button at the bottom right under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices.

Or for faster access: to assign the corresponding Reset all MIDI Devices Action in the Action List to a shortcut or toolbar button.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #11
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
One option to refresh the MIDI devices list is to use the [Reset all MIDI Devices] button at the bottom right under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices.

Or for faster access: to assign the corresponding Reset all MIDI Devices Action in the Action List to a shortcut or toolbar button.
Thanks.

Yeah add it as an action.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
Stimulus

Quote:

That's great, I didn't know you could assign actions to buttons.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #13
Stimulus

Quote:

Do you know if there's an auto quantize function for audio? I know you can do ctrl shift C for calculating transient guides but then I would like to snap the transients to the grid like you would do midi, so quantizing basically.

Also, I don't think you can adjust the bpm / tempo by dragging up / down with the mouse can you? tried a different theme to see if that made a difference, nope.

Back to stretch markers - Shift W adds a stretch marker at the green line (not the playhead) but just discovered Ctrl Shift C adds transient guides to the whole clip and it seems to have added some stretch markers.

Last edited by Stimulus; 10-15-2020 at 01:27 PM.