Old 08-25-2020, 03:46 AM   #1
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne 5 - Assistant to Editor upgrade?

Hi,

I am tempted to upgrade my Melodyne (v5) Assistant to the Editor version (149 eur) but would appreciate any input from current Melodyne Editor (or Studio, I guess) users on how they use it ...

I currently use Melodyne Assistant solely for editing vocals (and occasionally bass or lead gtr recordings).

The key Editor features that, on paper, I find appealing are:

- polyphonic detection and editing (I record acoustic gtr and piano a lot, btw)
- polyphonic audio to MIDI
- varying tempo detection of polyphonic music and export tempo map to DAW

I'd really appreciate any feedback current Melodyne Editor users have and whether there are other useful 'Editor' version functions that they use that I haven't mentioned.

Cheers
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
panicaftermath

I originally started out with version 2 Editor. I upgraded about 4 years ago to the Studio 4 version and found it useful and worth it. The interface was improved and it was faster to work in. Being able to have multiple tracks open in a single instance was useful (though not desirable in every situation.

At the time Reaper was not ARA compatible, and I was also drawn away from DAW work for some time so I hardy used it in the last few years.

I just installed it on the laptop I currently use, which only had version 2 installed. My first taste of ARA is very positive, but I haven't really put it to use real in a real project.

If you think you want it, you probably do. Maybe try the trial.

Based on what I've seen of the new features in Melodyne 5 I will probably be upgrading to it sooner than later. Especially if I can find a nice coupon code. Anyone know of one?
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicaftermath View Post
I originally started out with version 2 Editor. I upgraded about 4 years ago to the Studio 4 version and found it useful and worth it. The interface was improved and it was faster to work in. Being able to have multiple tracks open in a single instance was useful (though not desirable in every situation.

At the time Reaper was not ARA compatible, and I was also drawn away from DAW work for some time so I hardy used it in the last few years.

I just installed it on the laptop I currently use, which only had version 2 installed. My first taste of ARA is very positive, but I haven't really put it to use real in a real project.

If you think you want it, you probably do. Maybe try the trial.

Based on what I've seen of the new features in Melodyne 5 I will probably be upgrading to it sooner than later. Especially if I can find a nice coupon code. Anyone know of one?
Well, I did upgrade to Editor 5 and very glad I did :-)

I've already fulfilled all my upgrade hit points...

- polyphonic audio pitch editing on an acoustic guitar track where the B-string was slightly flat, which saved getting the player back and re-tracking.

- loaded up live (varying tempo) recordings into Melodyne and imported the tempo map back into reaper via ARA.

- extracted the bass audio from a live recording (using SPLITTER.AI), loaded that into Melodyne and then exported a MIDI track to trigger a bass gtr VST

It's like black magic :-)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote