Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
ReaperRules
Human being with feelings

Default Run Scripts when Reaper starts Up and closes

Is there a way for Reaper to run scripts on starup and shutdown? I am using a windows machine to record and I want to run some scripts or exe that uses the MS devcon utility to shut down ports and hardware during recording and starts them back when I exit. So can I set Reaper to automatically run a script or exe on starup and shutdown?

Thanks
ReaperRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Mr. Data

Hi,

don't think so (but I might be wrong). But you could use AutoHotKey for this.
I can't think of anything you couldn't automate with it. If you've set up a script the does exactly what you want, you can compile it to an executable, that you can start then, so all will be done just by a mouseclick.

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
ReaperRules

Default Thanks Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hi,

don't think so (but I might be wrong). But you could use AutoHotKey for this.
I can't think of anything you couldn't automate with it. If you've set up a script the does exactly what you want, you can compile it to an executable, that you can start then, so all will be done just by a mouseclick.

-Data
Thanks Data...I wanted to make sure I was not overlooking it or hear from someone that is doing something similar. I have used AutoHotKey before for many things but I did not think of it for this particular application. You are right it is pretty powerful. It really is not a big deal for me to click the script. The harder thing for me to do is remember to click the script. More of a convenience thing. It would be cool if reaper would shut down everything on my machine not necessary to record as it starts up and then turns them back on when I exit. I'll look into using the AutoHotKey for this
Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Mr. Data

But you could write a script that shuts all unwanted things down, starts Reaper, waits until Reaper is closed, and then starts again everything that it closed before, so no forgetting about the script, because you start Reaper with the script.

-Data
Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
ReaperRules

Default Yes

Dude that is perfect. So simple yet I could not see the forest for the trees. For some reason my brain would not take that path.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Mr. Data

Glad I could help!!

-Data
Old 10-18-2020, 03:42 AM   #7
acebone

I'm investigating this myself right now, and I found out that you can create a script called __startup.lua in the REAPER/Scriptsfolder (~/.config/REAPER/Scripts on linux) and it will be executed when REAPER has started up.

I've tried to make a __shutdown.lua script too, but it does not seem to be executed on shutdown
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #8
lexaproductions

What I’ve done is:
I made a “My Quit” script. Including all I wanted to be done along with the quit action.
Then replaced the “Quit” action in the menu and in my keybinding with “MyQuit”

Voilà. It’s now always executed on quit excepts for crashes which happen very rarely anyways.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote