Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
jzucker
Human being with feelings

Default Help with dynamic split -> Add Stretch Markers

Use case, I import a drum track which is recorded at a particular tempo but is slightly off. Ideally, I'd like to use the dynamic split -> Add stretch markers and then stretch markers->align to grid. Unfortunately, the dynamic split doesn't work right in that case because it puts stretch markers on 8ths notes when I'm just trying to align the 1/4 notes with the grid.

Is it possible to do this in reaper?
jzucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:25 AM   #2
jzucker

surely someone in this forum does this?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
jzucker

anyone????
Old 08-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
planetnine

There are quite a few settings in Dynamic Split.

Are you happy with the Stretch Markers that it is placing? Are they all placed at quarter note positions?

Wrong!In Quantise Item Positions, is the setting in the option box 1/4? If it is set to 1/8, then it will quantise the stretch markers to their nearest eighth note, although that would need timing drift to the grid or seriously bad timing on behalf of the drummer.

Have you watched Kenny's video on drum quantising? There are two: Drum Editing - Stretch Markers and Drum Editing - without Stretch Markers. Watch these for a step-by-step guide on how to quantise using Dynamic Split and Quantise Item Positions.

Edit: This has reminded me -for Stretch Markers, use Stretch Markers in selected items / Snap to grid instead of Quantise Item Position. QIP is for items when you've used Dynamic Split to split your drums into slices to reposition rather than stretch. With Snap to Grid, of course, you need to check that the grid is only displaying quarter notes if you want to exclude eighth notes...

>

Last edited by planetnine; 08-05-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Schoolboy error...
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
jzucker

No, i'm not happy with where it puts the stretch markers. I have not watched the drum quantisizing videos. I watched another of his stretch marker videos. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
There are quite a few settings in Dynamic Split.

Are you happy with the Stretch Markers that it is placing? Are they all placed at quarter note positions?

Wrong!In Quantise Item Positions, is the setting in the option box 1/4? If it is set to 1/8, then it will quantise the stretch markers to their nearest eighth note, although that would need timing drift to the grid or seriously bad timing on behalf of the drummer.

Have you watched Kenny's video on drum quantising? There are two: Drum Editing - Stretch Markers and Drum Editing - without Stretch Markers. Watch these for a step-by-step guide on how to quantise using Dynamic Split and Quantise Item Positions.

Edit: This has reminded me -for Stretch Markers, use Stretch Markers in selected items / Snap to grid instead of Quantise Item Position. QIP is for items when you've used Dynamic Split to split your drums into slices to reposition rather than stretch. With Snap to Grid, of course, you need to check that the grid is only displaying quarter notes if you want to exclude eighth notes...

>
Old 08-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
planetnine

If you’re not happy with where Dynamic Split places the stretch markers, you need to adjust its detection threshold so it picks up the right transients. These will be detected using levels, though, so you might need to manually remove some if you can’t stop it picking up eighth note beats to start with.

>
Old 08-06-2020, 04:02 AM   #7
jzucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
If you’re not happy with where Dynamic Split places the stretch markers, you need to adjust its detection threshold so it picks up the right transients. These will be detected using levels, though, so you might need to manually remove some if you can’t stop it picking up eighth note beats to start with.

>
Thanks, i was just looking at that in one of Kenny's videos!
Old 08-06-2020, 05:50 AM   #8
_Stevie_

Hey jzucker,

I would go for a more advanced solution (scripted one):

MK Slicer, an awesome script that let's you split or add stretch markers based on several conditions. You can, of course, also quantize the results:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232672

Definitely also check the videos in the first post of the linked thread.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
jzucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Hey jzucker,

I would go for a more advanced solution (scripted one):

MK Slicer, an awesome script that let's you split or add stretch markers based on several conditions. You can, of course, also quantize the results:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232672

Definitely also check the videos in the first post of the linked thread.
Looks amazing. where do I download it ? Do I download the whole gitlab repo? I'm not sure how to install/configure reaper to use it. Some details would be nice for noobs...
Old 08-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
_Stevie_

It's available via ReaPack, it's a package manager for REAPER addons (scripts, JSFX, themes, etc...).
Here's a tutorial on how to install it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjoDu_32ljI

When you have it installed, enter "MK Slicer" in the search of ReaPack
and just install it. After that you will find it in your action list.
I would suggest to either create a shortcut for the script or add it to one of your toolbars. Hope that helps!