Old 08-06-2020, 12:57 AM   #1
snatchman
Human being with feelings

Default Solo Out Vs Master Out...?

Hello..Question if I may..Do the master output and the solo out share the same path..?..I know there's a difference in sound quality between the two on an analog console.. Just wondering if sending a soloed stereo track( mix), loses quality as opposed to sending it out the main output ( mix)..?
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:57 AM   #2
domzy

I don't understand the question so i probably shouldn't be getting involved, but what do you mean by "solo out"? Do you mean using a separate output from your interface, if so it would depend on the interface & where it's routed to i guess. there is no reason for the internal signal path in Reaper to reduce audio quality (unless you want it to, via plugins etc.)
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
i guess. there is no reason for the internal signal path in Reaper to reduce audio quality
There isn't. It doesn't.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
I don't understand the question so i probably shouldn't be getting involved, but what do you mean by "solo out"? Do you mean using a separate output from your interface, if so it would depend on the interface & where it's routed to i guess. there is no reason for the internal signal path in Reaper to reduce audio quality (unless you want it to, via plugins etc.)
Ok...If I have a stereo master track (that has been rendered back into the mix ) in a project that I want to hear by itself, or make a copy of , instead of muting all the tracks except this one, I just hit solo and its outputted out of the master buss..Will this soloed track sound the same as if I muted all the tracks except this one and just let it play out of the master buss as usual..?..I guess I just saying I want to hear the rendered track alone without having to mute all the tracks....
Old 08-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #5
Stella645

Solo IS muting all other tracks.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:58 AM   #6
Fex

It's a bit confusing when you can have a track on Mute and Solo at the same time, but yes, just soloing one track is exactly the same as just muting all others, in terms of the signal output.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Solo IS muting all other tracks.
In Pro Tools yes, but in reaper not really, it works a bit different
Birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
In Pro Tools yes, but in reaper not really, it works a bit different
I took the following to be the concern that prompted the question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Just wondering if sending a soloed stereo track( mix), loses quality as opposed to sending it out the main output ( mix)..?
Many of us do not much care about what goes on under the hood, only about the results.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Hello..Question if I may..Do the master output and the solo out share the same path..?..I know there's a difference in sound quality between the two on an analog console.. Just wondering if sending a soloed stereo track( mix), loses quality as opposed to sending it out the main output ( mix)..?
All the virtual audio paths within Reaper DAW are identical. There is no feature written into the software to create special output paths with reduced fidelity.

You may have experienced some analog console that perhaps had only unbalanced outputs for its solo/control room output vs its balanced main outputs? Some of the smaller or budget analog boards may have such shortcomings.

In a DAW system, you choose and connect the DAC hardware. (ie your audio interface) Refer to the product specs for the quality of a unit's different outputs (should there be any differences).

And of course if you tend not to trust brochures like I tend not to, you can always verify audio integrity yourself. Null something!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #10
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
All the virtual audio paths within Reaper DAW are identical. There is no feature written into the software to create special output paths with reduced fidelity.

You may have experienced some analog console that perhaps had only unbalanced outputs for its solo/control room output vs its balanced main outputs? Some of the smaller or budget analog boards may have such shortcomings.

In a DAW system, you choose and connect the DAC hardware. (ie your audio interface) Refer to the product specs for the quality of a unit's different outputs (should there be any differences).

And of course if you tend not to trust brochures like I tend not to, you can always verify audio integrity yourself. Null something!
Ok...This is what I was asking..